Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 725807 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: YOU CAN'T TAKE THAT THING, GET OUT NOW!
« Reply #1545 on: June 19, 2015, 07:26:20 am »

Basically most missions involve the enemy having a sort of endless wave of reinforcements.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: June 19, 2015, 07:39:58 am »

I think they must be, or there will be some sort of turn timer?  I thought their goal was to prevent "kill all the aliens" mission endings, and force you to evac and carry things out.  No safe battlefield looting, and all that.

Anyway, probably no-kill-xp is wishful thinking on my part.  I was always irritated that it was difficult to level guys like medics, and I tried to avoid too much suppression because it meant my gunners were not directly killing things and leveling up.

I'd always end up with high level assaults, mid level scouts and snipers, low level gunners and infantry, and rookie everything else.

Larger XP should be given to the team, maybe with some bonuses for kills and ability use.  XP being primarily kill based meant that I felt forced to use bad tactics to level up anyone who wasnt an assault or sniper.

This really irks me in games. It means you need to take the supports out of their role to actually make them get better, which makes no sense.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: June 19, 2015, 11:33:14 am »

Mission XP in XCOM:EU/EW as well as Long War is larger than kill XP by far - though if there is a large disparity in kills it tends to stack up.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: June 19, 2015, 11:44:05 am »

was it? 

It didnt seem to be, but then its not like it is displayed in quantitative terms, so its hard to be sure.  I felt like guys just didnt get promoted unless they got kills.  and getting hits in didnt seem to help, just the final kill.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: June 19, 2015, 12:03:07 pm »

was it? 

It didnt seem to be, but then its not like it is displayed in quantitative terms, so its hard to be sure.  I felt like guys just didnt get promoted unless they got kills.  and getting hits in didnt seem to help, just the final kill.
There is. You get XP just for surviving through a mission, equal to two base kills' worth of XP, plus an additional bonus for no KIAs. Storyline missions grant double the mission XP.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: June 19, 2015, 01:49:52 pm »

Yeah, spreading the kills around only really mattered with rookies, since they could level up from a single kill.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: June 20, 2015, 09:29:40 pm »

Could I get an overview of the major news since Sunday?
XCOM is now Ayy Qaeda.
There is no god but the Commander, and Bradford is his prophet. Vigilo Confido.
At the rate this is going, this meme is going to reach critical mass by the time the game comes out and it's going to result in some very offensive Let's Plays.

I'll be on 4chan waiting for the livestreams.
And I'll be right here providing the screenshot LPs!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: June 20, 2015, 09:30:44 pm »

I'll just be waiting for the explosives-only playthroughs.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: June 20, 2015, 09:37:42 pm »

Vahlen, if she is still alive, will just be sobbing in the corner.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: June 20, 2015, 09:41:28 pm »

Or she'll be rolling in her grave after the sectoids psi-reanimate her.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: June 21, 2015, 12:46:34 am »

I think it's implied she's not that kind of lady. When you try to sell unresearched alien corpses, Central gives you an amusing warning.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: June 21, 2015, 09:41:15 am »

Ooh, I wonder if Vahlen and Chen willingly defected early in this timeline.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: June 21, 2015, 09:58:35 am »

I think it's implied she's not that kind of lady. When you try to sell unresearched alien corpses, Central gives you an amusing warning.
X-COM 2 100% canon backstory:

With the sudden, brutal assassination of the first Commander by Dr. Vahlen after a string of operations involving all-Heavy deployments and frequent incidents of Sectoid cadavers slated for autopsy reported 'missing', the role had been assumed by Central Officer Bradford, who promptly caused the deaths of 90% of combat personnel of the project due to his insistence that 'Sir, what if there's an ambush there?' is not a valid objection to his movement orders. Within days, disheartened by the massive losses in teams sent to their aid, Earth surrendered to the aliens.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: June 21, 2015, 10:33:38 am »

All of this shit about how Vahlen should be working for the aliens makes me a sad panda. What, you don't want your human mad science back? That's X-Com's thing!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: June 21, 2015, 11:19:25 am »

X-COM 2 100% canon backstory:

With the sudden, brutal assassination of the first Commander by Dr. Vahlen after a string of operations involving all-Heavy deployments and frequent incidents of Sectoid cadavers slated for autopsy reported 'missing', the role had been assumed by Central Officer Bradford, who promptly caused the deaths of 90% of combat personnel of the project due to his insistence that 'Sir, what if there's an ambush there?' is not a valid objection to his movement orders. Within days, disheartened by the massive losses in teams sent to their aid, Earth surrendered to the aliens.

At the end of the game she stabs the enemy commander in the back.

Ethereal Commander: "If you aren't on their side... and you aren't on our side... who's side are you on?"

Vahlen: "I am on the side of SCIENCE."
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 469