Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 726022 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: REMOVE AYY
« Reply #1215 on: June 11, 2015, 11:32:59 am »

You know...we don't really know how they treated the other races at first. This could be standard operating procedure for them. Go in slow, act all benevolent and uplifting, and eventually have re-engineered the population into some sort of useful tool.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: June 11, 2015, 11:41:51 am »

Particularly since we have the potential to be the ultimate soldier race the Ethereals' masters were looking for.  Since they've had 20 years of testing, they're probably aware of that.  So they're using a soft hand because they want as many willing supersoldiers as possible...  Though it could be that they're just stealing our superior genes to enhance the existing races.  Still makes sense for them not to kill their test subjects, though.

Their hand was forced in XCOM 1, but here the human resistance crumbled so early.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: June 11, 2015, 11:52:14 am »

Why do I have the feeling that they crafted this latest news update only after hearing all the outrage about the reboot / plot wipe? 

Like they watched the various internet forums and picked the explanation that seemed least offensive?

And that they heard all the talk about Bradford, and said "Yeah! Lets write him in!"

Too cynical? 

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1218 on: June 11, 2015, 11:53:01 am »

I've got it

XCOM 1 was just a simulation played out on a huge alien computer. It showed them that humanity could not be easily taken by force, so they're using guile and public opinion instead.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: June 11, 2015, 11:57:35 am »

And that they heard all the talk about Bradford, and said "Yeah! Lets write him in!"
Or maybe they just aren't dumb? The Big Three are very popular as some of the very few fleshed-out characters, and Punished Bradford is an obvious development.

But more importantly, they'd better fucking be bringing Vahlen back. I am not going to be satisfied until I see her torturing aliens again.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: June 11, 2015, 11:59:06 am »

Commander badass jokes must rise again.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: June 11, 2015, 12:12:25 pm »

Why do I have the feeling that they crafted this latest news update only after hearing all the outrage about the reboot / plot wipe? 

Like they watched the various internet forums and picked the explanation that seemed least offensive?

Too cynical?
I wouldn't say they chose the explanation that was the least offensive, I'd say they chose one that inherently came with the least amount of nonsense and stupid writing (no, saying "you won the first game but you also lost because AYY LMAO").

I think that seeing the reaction of people certainly had something to do with them releasing this info, most likely because they felt like they needed to make some things clear.

As for Bradford, XCOM:EU definitely felt like it was meant to be more character-based than Oldcom so they are now deciding to keeping them (I expect Vahlen and That Other Guy will make an appearance too) because why not.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: June 11, 2015, 12:13:09 pm »

XCOM Complete pack is on sale at 80% off; 10$ for everything.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: June 11, 2015, 12:17:08 pm »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: June 11, 2015, 12:18:17 pm »

OH GOD DAMMIT
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1225 on: June 11, 2015, 12:19:25 pm »

"Most people failed the difficulty level which we labeled 'impossible' so we decided that's what happened. Fuck all you casuals."

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: June 11, 2015, 12:21:00 pm »

Too cynical?
Too cynical.

Their first press release mentioned this that they were going to do this release. And adding another person is not exactly not much work.

"Most people failed the difficulty level which we labeled 'impossible' so we decided that's what happened. Fuck all you casuals."
Well, you know. The article also goes on to note that most people failed every difficulty.

And honestly, I like this more. By going from the XCOM 1 victory ending, you have to do all kind of contrived plot twists to get to the XCOM2 start.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: June 11, 2015, 12:25:03 pm »

Yeah, like they said, only 20% of players beat XCOM on any difficulty setting, and when you consider that they were very much on 'ironman', not having a time-reset device when their best guys got kerb-stomped by a surprise sectopod on a terror mission...
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: June 11, 2015, 12:40:56 pm »

"Fuck all you casuals."
Watch the % of those beating the game on impossible jumping up to 3% before launch.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1229 on: June 11, 2015, 12:44:34 pm »

It's an interesting idea. Base your sequel on the statistical data collected from the previous game.

Imagine if Dragon Age did that?

"Well 67% of all players banged morrigan so that's canon the warden is in love with morrigan"

*internet rage*
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 469