Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 723917 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Enemy Known
« Reply #855 on: June 07, 2015, 04:09:32 pm »

I'm still hoping for time travel. Time travel makes every story better.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: June 07, 2015, 04:11:09 pm »

What? No, Time Travel make every story headache-inducing and senseless. Time travel in fictions is one of those things censorship is for.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: June 07, 2015, 04:11:52 pm »

I'm just looking forward to my terror campaign of FREEDOM, however XCOM did in the invasion. I will liberate Earth in fire and blood.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: June 07, 2015, 04:12:38 pm »

...Or, you know, the commander had no experience fighting aliens, as is reasonable, and just lost. At this point it seems to me its just people not accepting that this is the path Firaxis chose and that's how its gonna be, just because they managed to get a win after X tries.

My problem with it is that most games that have multiple possible endings, they pick a branch somewhere towards the end of the story that still leaves most of the game events as valid.

I'd have no problem with "you won, but then..."

or even "you lost the last mission"

or even "there was a failed / untaken side mission that lead to some problems" (like: should have bought Slinghshot, cheapskates)

or even "you won but with only one funding country left and the world in ruins"

as long as the major plot events were not just thrown away.  I'm not butt-hurt about my effort in playing the game being negated; I'm disappointed that they are totally throwing away existing story which was actually pretty good story.

but this is just chit-chat.  at the end of the day, they're going to do what they're going to do.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: June 07, 2015, 06:06:24 pm »

...Or, you know, the commander had no experience fighting aliens, as is reasonable, and just lost. At this point it seems to me its just people not accepting that this is the path Firaxis chose and that's how its gonna be, just because they managed to get a win after X tries.

Of course they could play it straight, but we can't know for sure and these wild guesses are more fun than serious.

Besides, the Volunteer was confirmed to be in. Now, for me that implies that this is the same volunteer as in XCOM1. For that, we need an XCOM that actually did do a little something.
Though it might mean a new volunteer as well...

And as puke said above, it's strange that a main point of XCOM1 was that the aliens were testing us, but now it all just got wiped away, seemingly. That's a pretty strange situation and how Firaxis handled it (handwave or a good reasoning) should be interesting. But until we get more info, I'll pass the time guessing, unless someone has a problem with it. Then I'll promptly stop and wait silently.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: June 07, 2015, 06:11:28 pm »

Besides, the Volunteer was confirmed to be in.
Wait, what? Where?
The Volunteer was confirmed to have survived the Temple Ship, but I hadn't heard that the Volunteer was going to be in XCOM 2.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: June 07, 2015, 06:48:38 pm »

Yeah, it was only confirmed that the Volunteer survived. There was never any mention of him/her appearing in XCOM 2.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: June 07, 2015, 06:57:16 pm »

Well they said he/she didn't die so there is a chance that he/she will be an important part of the story be it time travel or dimension hopping.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: June 07, 2015, 07:22:04 pm »

They only said that the volunteer survived because they wanted to clarify that, they realised that the ending cinematic was a bit confusing, so they went out and said 'Oh, right, the psionic equivalent to jesus survived taking down that temple ship.'
Because screw explosions he/she is psionic Jesus.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: June 07, 2015, 08:10:38 pm »

Yeah but you don't establish that character x is alive only to not use it. It will luikely find its way to the new game one way or another.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: June 07, 2015, 08:19:37 pm »

Less 'they're jesus' more 'They disappear but they didn't think the cutscene got that across enough at all'.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: June 07, 2015, 08:23:57 pm »

Jesus rose three days later.

Volunteer survived.

Volunteer is Psionic Jesus.

Therefore, the Volunteer will return three games later, in XCOM 4.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: June 07, 2015, 08:51:12 pm »

My theory is Bradford being the commander till things went tits up(you know how he loves rushing headlong into things).  He gets replaced by the 'player', with some small success, but it was already too late to salvage things.  XCom HQ is raided soon after.  A good number of personal are lost, but XCom under player command manages to scorch the data/intel and evac the rest. The survivors disband and go into sleeper mode.
New Game, the council sends the call to the XCom sleepers, arranging for the ship to be very lightly defended...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: June 07, 2015, 09:14:51 pm »

Yeah but you don't establish that character x is alive only to not use it. It will luikely find its way to the new game one way or another.
Not at all. Have you not been paying attention? The question of the survival of the Volunteer turned into e-drama and they pretty clearly announced what was canon re: nuCOM 1's ending just so people would shut up and move on.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: June 07, 2015, 11:18:46 pm »

Greatly overestimated the protectiveness of my shiny new helmet and breastplate, and was shot off my horse dead as a doornail by Swedish marksmen before anyone else had a chance to happen.

Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 469