Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 723970 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Enemy Known
« Reply #810 on: June 07, 2015, 04:27:23 am »

Anyway, we should get more info on the background somewhere this week.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: June 07, 2015, 04:45:22 am »

I really don't understand the urge to force the plot into a straight-up sequel. Not only it's just as much, if not more, contrived, it's also a giant middle finger to your efforts in the previous game.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: June 07, 2015, 04:54:14 am »

Both options are a giant middle finger to your efforts in the first game.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: June 07, 2015, 05:02:16 am »

Relatively. One is a 'nevermind that, here's what could happen' other is 'no, u los nao lel'.

If it's alternate, then your efforts were inasmuch worthless as irrelevant to the situation. If it's a sequel, you're being railroaded into losing, more or less, even if you cleared the Temple Ship as a single rookie with conventional gear on Impossible Ironman.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: June 07, 2015, 05:12:05 am »

Relatively. One is a 'nevermind that, here's what could happen' other is 'no, u los nao lel'.

If it's alternate, then your efforts were inasmuch worthless as irrelevant to the situation. If it's a sequel, you're being railroaded into losing, more or less, even if you cleared the Temple Ship as a single rookie with conventional gear on Impossible Ironman.

To me, there's a difference between 'u los nao lel' and 'u los nao bcz test'

One is for shits and gigs, the other is going off a loosely implied plot hook. If there wasn't an uber ethereal speech, the latter should be a middle finger, but since the Uber implies all that, i'd be completely fine with it.

I don't care either way, I just prefer a sequel, but a 'what if' is perfectly fine.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: June 07, 2015, 05:27:30 am »

There will be an IGN livestream showing first gameplay of XCOM 2 that starts at 4:30pm PDT on the 16th.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 05:32:41 pm by Hawk132 »
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: June 07, 2015, 05:48:54 am »

I really don't understand the urge to force the plot into a straight-up sequel. Not only it's just as much, if not more, contrived, it's also a giant middle finger to your efforts in the previous game.

I feel neither is a giant middle finger to your efforts. I just want there to be some sort of continuation between the games.
Love, scriver~

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: June 07, 2015, 06:33:43 am »

Just found something neat while looking through old stuff on the original game. 

The floaters were not originally mindless killing machines like they are in nuCom.  They are the ones depicted as doing the work at alien surgery and examination room, so they must have some intelligence and technical proficiency:

http://ufopedia.csignal.org/ufopedia/Alien%20Surgery.html

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: June 07, 2015, 06:34:32 am »

I feel neither is a giant middle finger to your efforts. I just want there to be some sort of continuation between the games.
And XCOM 2 being: "this is what happens after you lose the first game" is not a continuation between the games?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: June 07, 2015, 06:54:25 am »

I would be furious if the XCOM-2 plotline was "And then they roflstomped you", in spite of all those better-than-anything-they-have guns, your psychics, your robots, you destroying the temple ship and shooting down every UFO they sent at you, and whups you're back down to kevlar vests and m16s.

"What if you were on vacation in the bahamas when the aliens showed up" is a way better storyline in my opinion.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: June 07, 2015, 07:07:37 am »

As soon as the newfoundland mission came up, it was pretty clear to me that the war was not something that xcom was capable of winning, ever.

Regardless, the psychology of the highly polarized viewpoints on the topic is pretty fascinating.  Learned something about marketing today.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: June 07, 2015, 07:12:52 am »

I think that the sequel starting with the first game being lost early makes quite a lot of sense.

A) No rolling back XCOM from superguns to basic gear. Psionics, genemods, and MECs were, likewise, never properly discovered. It would take some creative wrangling to invent a plausible cause for them to be completely lost and forgotten in 20 years.
B) Aliens never went into the midgame spike - no Mutons, no Chryssalids, no terror missions and mass population panic - it's easier to build and maintain a good image if you don't have to deal with having the public know of your purebred murderhobos.
C) XCOM's very existence is justified - if they were re-defeated with a second wave of aliens, they would have been crushed absolutely, and in the new world order all their backing would have been uncovered and lost. Since they never rose to be a threat in the first place, they are able to exist in the shadows.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: June 07, 2015, 07:15:51 am »

I would be furious if the XCOM-2 plotline was "And then they roflstomped you", in spite of all those better-than-anything-they-have guns, your psychics, your robots, you destroying the temple ship and shooting down every UFO they sent at you, and whups you're back down to kevlar vests and m16s.

"What if you were on vacation in the bahamas when the aliens showed up" is a way better storyline in my opinion.

Every battle XCOM fought was typically 10-20 aliens, one on one UFO fights, generally weak stuff. If the aliens WANTED to win, they would. A few hundred sectoids will beat a full squad of titan armor plasma wielding colonels any day. Now imagine a few hundred mutons, chrysalids and ethereals with an actual air war going on instead of a handful of UFO's going out to die.

XCOM never had a chance against aliens, the only time they ever tried to win was during the base assault. If XCOM managed to get every country on Earth to start using their tech in large amounts, THEN it'd be stupid to have the aliens win. But by the end, most militaries would probably either be ballistics or lasers with spec ops with the plasma or something. Not a fully armed planet. There's no difference between an alien /invasion/ during XCOM plasma age than an alien invasion during XCOM kevlar and bullets age. Both would end the same way. Total annihilation of XCOM. One just has more dead aliens involved.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: June 07, 2015, 07:17:40 am »

And XCOM 2 being: "this is what happens after you lose the first game" is not a continuation between the games?

Did I say it isn't?
Love, scriver~

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: June 07, 2015, 07:23:33 am »

Let's be clear here. There are like 40 (in log war in normal X-com its more like 20 tops) soldiers.
Sure tehy go here and there do missions but the entire world is fighting. Goverments ask you for laser weapons and regular soldiers fight and die in thousands.

Sure X-Com destroy one ship and one of the leaders behind the invasion but that was pretty much a meeting point stablished by the aliens as a final test for the selected x-com psi trooper.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 469