Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724210 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Enemy Known
« Reply #630 on: June 04, 2015, 07:51:24 am »

I'm reminded of Steve and Larson.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 07:08:30 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 04, 2015, 11:49:52 am »

So yeah htey basically will use the same map generation system used in Apocalypse TFTD and EU.
Kindam akes me wonder why they dropped it in the first place.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 04, 2015, 11:53:23 am »

Um. Pretty much the entire thrust of it was that they aren't doing it like they did in EU. They stopped trying to do generated maps during development on EU because they couldn't figure out how to do it in a way that played well and didn't look like shit, hence the set of premade maps. And for my two cents, I'm now cautiously optimistic, especially with the inclusion of secondary objectives in the generation process.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 04, 2015, 11:54:38 am »

The more I see sequels to older games, that don't use the original systems, the more it makes me think that either:

a) the shit they did back then was actually really complex

or

b) the people we have in the games industry now lack the same kind of talent/vision, or, no one knows how to make this stuff work with modern engines like Unity, UT, etc..., so they just give up and do something much simpler.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 04, 2015, 11:56:25 am »

Um. Pretty much the entire thrust of it was that they aren't doing it like they did in EU.
Based on mentioning TFTD and Apocalypse, pretty sure Sonlirain meant Ufo Defense.  Of course, it was called "X-COM: Enemy Unknown" in Europe... Making it kinda awful that the reboot was "XCOM: Enemy Unknown"...  Hence silly names like NewCOM.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 04, 2015, 11:59:45 am »

I'm not expecting anything super-spectacular out of these procedural maps, but as long as the AI works in them and it provides variety, I'll be happy. Also, snowy maps! Promising for variety - if we're going global again, I hope I'm not going to see North American forest in the middle of Africa again.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 04, 2015, 12:00:18 pm »

I wonder how they'll handle blowing up ceilings and floors. Fall damage? What if you blow the floor from under a Sectopod and it falls on your people? Will flying unit that aren't currently flying be able to take off mid-fall?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 04, 2015, 12:01:40 pm »

Um. Pretty much the entire thrust of it was that they aren't doing it like they did in EU.
Based on mentioning TFTD and Apocalypse, pretty sure Sonlirain meant Ufo Defense.  Of course, it was called "X-COM: Enemy Unknown" in Europe... Making it kinda awful that the reboot was "XCOM: Enemy Unknown"...  Hence silly names like NewCOM.
Ah, right, I'd forgotten about the differences in naming convention for the first game.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 04, 2015, 12:07:36 pm »

There said no game called 'X-Com: Enemy Unknown'. The original was 'UFO: Enemy Unknown' in Europe and 'X-Com: UFO Defence' in America.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 04, 2015, 12:08:25 pm »

The more I see sequels to older games, that don't use the original systems, the more it makes me think that either:

or

b) the people we have in the games industry now lack the same kind of talent/vision, or, no one knows how to make this stuff work with modern engines like Unity, UT, etc..., so they just give up and do something much simpler.
C) The game industry has higher standards now, and what UFO Defense pulled wouldn't work in 2012.
"It came down to a question of ... If we do this, if we do procedurally generated maps, they said that they were going to look like shit," Solomon says. "It wasn't going to look like any of the other games. I mean, we're not trying look better than every other game out there, but it wouldn't have even looked comparable. We would have looked like fuckin' shit."

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:51:07 am by Henny »
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 04, 2015, 12:08:53 pm »

There said no game called 'X-Com: Enemy Unknown'. The original was 'UFO: Enemy Unknown' in Europe and 'X-Com: UFO Defence' in America.
Damn, nice catch!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 04, 2015, 12:10:25 pm »

or

Or you know, people now are way less tolerant of mistakes and slightly obtuse design and stuff like that.

The original XCOM had a bug that resulted in difficulty being reset to beginner past the first level. Such a thing would never work now.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 04, 2015, 12:14:22 pm »

or

Thing is. Wall and general map design was not as critical back in the day as it is in nuCom.
In the first game corners didn't matter as much because the game had a different perception of cover and things like hard cover simply didn't exist and chesthigh walls were only a placebo.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 04, 2015, 12:14:42 pm »

Oh! And the title of this thread should be 'XCOM 2' rather than 'X-Com 2'.
(Your PEDANTRY level went up!)
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 469