Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724326 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Enemy Known
« Reply #585 on: June 03, 2015, 04:53:59 pm »

I'm absolutely in favor of Bradford being the commander in the alternate timeline.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 03, 2015, 05:01:43 pm »

Mobile? That explains why the site looked a bit weird. Doesn't explain how I got on the mobile version though.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 03, 2015, 05:23:17 pm »

I'm absolutely in favor of Bradford being the commander in the alternate timeline.

XCOM's worst defeat was when faced with a muton squad, the squad dropped their weapons and proceeded to dash into the mutons.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 03, 2015, 06:06:29 pm »

XCOM's worst defeat was when faced with a muton squad, the squad dropped their weapons and proceeded to dash into the mutons.
It doesn't even compare to the time he decided he'd take the Skyranger out himself.

"Fly us closer! I want to hit them with my sword!"
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 03, 2015, 06:11:36 pm »

It doesn't even compare to the time he decided he'd take the Skyranger out himself.

"Fly us closer! I want to hit them with my sword!"
Swords are beneath Commander Bradford! As you know, his favorite weapon is the fire extinguisher.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: June 03, 2015, 06:13:31 pm »

No, his favorite weapon is the emergency pistol he keeps under a desk.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 03, 2015, 06:20:01 pm »

That's what you do when you have an infinite number of free guns. You build furniture out of them.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 03, 2015, 06:20:53 pm »

I'm so glad I didn't watch the EW trailers, so that scene was unexpected and soooo cool.  I didn't even know anything like that would happen.

And the pistol is just a fallback for foolish enemies who mysteriously dash the wrong direction (IE, away from his fire extinguisher).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: June 03, 2015, 06:21:56 pm »

No, his favorite weapon is the emergency pistol he keeps under a desk.
(It's secretly the Killswitch for all of Xcom's gear. Nobody told him that when he took over though, so when he got depressed at how sanely and carefully his subordinates were completing their final desperate mission, the mission suddenly became really interesting for Xcom's elite finest.)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: June 03, 2015, 06:22:58 pm »

I'm holding out for ign's info being wrong about the plot. It's not that I think the world getting curbstomped is a bad story or somehow invalidates my New-Com "achievements" or anything like that. I'd just like for the games to be connected somehow rather than just an immediate do-over.

How I would have written it: Everything happens as in EW. Volunteer goes into wormhole. Volunteer is gone. Aliums seemingly give up after the Templeship is destroyed. Meanwhile, earth is ravaged by the after-effects of the war. Remnant alium left-behinds, chrysalids all up in the everything messing up the ecosystem, meld-poisoning of the environment leading to waves of strange and debilitating mutation in people and animals, but also more lethal mutations of microorganisms - new plagues spread through the population centres, evolving quickly to counter existing countermeasures. People panic, civilization quivers and threatens to crumble, nations abandons any pan-humanitarian unity the invasion instilled for infighting and wars over resources and protection like never before, the new advances in technology and psi-logy causing terror and devastation. The x-com project is all but dropped and stripped to the barest of bones. Things are looking pretty bleak for the world.

Then the Volunteer returns. Like a great messianic figure she promises to save humanity all dangers as long as it follows her - she saved humanity once, she will save it again. She will even save humanity from itself and create a better future. Advent is formed. People flock to Advent's compounds, where they are offered safety from aliums, war and fighting in general, and gene-therapy to counter the mutations and new diseases. To defend humanity... To improve humanity. One by one the governments of earth fall into step behind them, either through domination by the Volunteer's psi-powers or just through the sheer pressure of her millions and millions of followers.

But x-com remains. They know the Volunteer came back changed. They know that their fight is not over. They know that even without the world's support it is a they still have a war to fight. They know that at this hour they are needed more than ever before. Vigilo Confido. Welcome back, Commander.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: June 03, 2015, 06:24:02 pm »

I've just started a new LW campaign, and apart from the fact that I suck, I've found out that all new rookies start in red armor.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #596 on: June 03, 2015, 06:25:40 pm »

Guys, the engineer says AT THE VERY BEGINNING of XCOM "From what I have seen, if the aliens were intent on conquering Earth there's not much we could do to stop them. They must have something else in mind."

Do we really believe they only brought ONE ship? Really? Who plans an invasion including a single starship? The whole first game was the aliens putting humanity to a test, one which we have passed. XCOM2 is the direct result of humanity passing the test. Why would they bother building a society on Earth if we had failed? They'd just harvest what they could and move on, glassing the planet.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: June 03, 2015, 06:48:09 pm »

They used a singlestarship because Earth is a backwater with little to no spacetech. If you can take over a vilalge of african tribals with one tank would you send in a batalion?
Especially if you need other tanks elsewhere because you are fighting a losing war with some other aliens?
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #598 on: June 03, 2015, 06:52:38 pm »

They used a singlestarship because Earth is a backwater with little to no spacetech. If you can take over a vilalge of african tribals with one tank would you send in a batalion?
Especially if you need other tanks elsewhere because you are fighting a losing war with some other aliens?
Again, the motive wasn't to 'take over'. If I wanted to test an african tribe for positive genetic material I'd just send in a medical detachment, not an invasion force.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 03, 2015, 07:07:44 pm »

Again, the motive wasn't to 'take over'. If I wanted to test an african tribe for positive genetic material I'd just send in a medical detachment, not an invasion force.
The testing is probably lethal and its easier to subdue them outright rather than beg for more test subjects?
After all in X-com2 people are disapearing in droves.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 469