Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724449 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Enemy Known
« Reply #465 on: June 02, 2015, 05:27:17 pm »

After reading that article, I'm starting to have some serious questions.  While I have no real problem with having to ramp-up to equal the alien menace, the thought that I'm just going to be doing non-stop hit and runs if I pick this up is incredibly disheartening.  If I can't arbitrarily crush enemy forces by mid to late game I'm going to be seriously pissed off.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 02, 2015, 05:29:28 pm »

After reading that article, I'm starting to have some serious questions.  While I have no real problem with having to ramp-up to equal the alien menace, the thought that I'm just going to be doing non-stop hit and runs if I pick this up is incredibly disheartening.  If I can't arbitrarily crush enemy forces by mid to late game I'm going to be seriously pissed off.
I doubt you won't be able to if you are good enough. I doubt you'll be able to do that from the start.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 02, 2015, 05:33:01 pm »

So... what's good about difficulty level dropoff, exactly? I thought most people agreed that was bad in XCOM:EU and EW.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 02, 2015, 05:36:14 pm »

So... what's good about difficulty level dropoff, exactly? I thought most people agreed that was bad in XCOM:EU and EW.
Well at some point you will have to start taking the fight to the aliens if you want to win. Unless of course the entire game is though to be a no win scenario saved in the last moment by the psi trooper who destroyed the temple ship in an alternate dimension.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 02, 2015, 05:41:59 pm »

The reason difficulty dropoff occurs is that you actually have access to the tools necessary to put you on an even footing with the enemy, but Firaxis didn't do what the original did, which was divide the forces into waves of successively stronger alien types, so you still had useless sectoids mixed with muton elites, instead of vessels loaded entirely with etherials.  If this whole game is going to be nothing but 'scavenge what you can', then you won't EVER reach basic parity with your opponents, and the game will just be boring as all hell smash 'n grab.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 02, 2015, 05:43:29 pm »

Procedural maps sound really good, the previous game got a bit stale after a while due to the repeating locales. Not quite sold on the "you need to pick stuff up" part, hopefully it's not quite as boring and repetitive as I imagine it to be.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 02, 2015, 05:51:54 pm »

Argument: The snakeperson has mammarys, but reptiles don't have mammarys, therefore unrealistic.
Counterargument: It has been stated that the aliens are modifying themselves with human DNA, and XCOM uses movie genetics.

Argument: This game has female characters, therefor obvious pandering.
Counterargument: ...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 02, 2015, 05:53:35 pm »

Because I'm terrible at understanding internet humor, is it that "there is no counter" or is it that "the argument is stupid"?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 02, 2015, 05:54:03 pm »

The reason difficulty dropoff occurs is that you actually have access to the tools necessary to put you on an even footing with the enemy, but Firaxis didn't do what the original did, which was divide the forces into waves of successively stronger alien types, so you still had useless sectoids mixed with muton elites, instead of vessels loaded entirely with etherials.  If this whole game is going to be nothing but 'scavenge what you can', then you won't EVER reach basic parity with your opponents, and the game will just be boring as all hell smash 'n grab.

Considering you don't have a real base anymore and have to fly from one remote corner of the world to another i doubt that you will be pulling off any 6 man army vs advent city crap and  expect more covert ops. Maybe there will be missions about raiding backwater bases with skeleton crews but with X-Com on the run i doubt you would be doing heroic alien stomping of NuCom.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 02, 2015, 05:57:15 pm »

That's going to make it awful hard to get rid of the aliens then, don't you think?  Why am I playing an XCOM game if not to defeat the aliens?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 02, 2015, 05:58:03 pm »

They've already made it clear that the point of most missions won't be to necessarily kill all aliens on the map.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 02, 2015, 05:59:54 pm »

I'm afraid that the scavenging system will be really bland. Why can't I have a proper invetory system? They managed in OldCom!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 02, 2015, 06:04:45 pm »

Because I'm terrible at understanding internet humor, is it that "there is no counter" or is it that "the argument is stupid"?
My method is, if the meaning is ambiguous, choose whichever is most humorous.
So whichever you prefer! you're free to interpret things however you please, so long as it's something unimportant, like Computer Games.
Though, if I must, I admit that my intent was to convey the latter.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 02, 2015, 06:09:19 pm »

Argument: The snakeperson has mammarys, but reptiles don't have mammarys, therefore unrealistic.
Counterargument: they're goddamn aliens, don't apply Earthly mammal/reptile features to them! They're probably not cold blooded, either.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 02, 2015, 06:47:41 pm »

I think they're cute
Well no, I think they look like female spies or ninjas.  Quick and deadly with a focus on stealth.  In most other games they'd be wearing airtight latex and kissing on people, but in this case they're alien (probably hybrid) snake monsters.  It's still somewhat sexualized, but in a relatively novel and unforced way.  Understated, even.  I think it's great.

For one thing the focus is definitely on them being stealthy, fast and strong.  *then* a touch of "femme fatale".  The design priorities are laudable.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 469