Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724521 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: HYPE WITHIN
« Reply #390 on: June 02, 2015, 12:43:22 am »

As I recall, the maximum terraformed Mars is an Earthlike paradise. I mean, aside from all the killer aliens.

Afterblank humanity really got the short straw.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 02, 2015, 12:52:09 am »

It's such a paradise that they no longer risk gradual asphyxiation from suit tears.  Those greasemonkeys in the engineering bay?  Better bring one along with a patch kit.  Might as well bring one of the egghead scientists too, particularly for... certain missions.  Not only can they become experts in the anatomy of X race (nice damage bonus) but the techs and scientists become better at their jobs from field experience.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 02, 2015, 02:37:14 am »

I think the extra class will be a sort of engineer guy. Maybe he can also hack some robots or control panels and stuff for various helpful effects. And he has this cool drone to do recon and flush enemies out of cover.
Then we have: Ranger, Sniper, Assault, Engineer, Support.
I'm merging heavy with assault. He's the guy capable of all-out offense if needed, but with a chance for collateral damage. I think the ranger will be handling short-range combat anyways, what with the sword and stuff. And he can use stealthy entry techniques instead of breaching like XCOM1 assaults.

Storywise, I'm expecting the enemy of the aliens to show up. Teaming up with aliens possible. Maybe it'll be the volunteer who eventually overrides control of aliens after merging with an ethereal or the alien hive mind while sacrificing himself.

Also, it's terribly easy for the aliens to have won. XCOM is likely to have lost a few countries to panic, where the aliens could easily take over with some mind control and brainwashing. Let's not forget how easily religions and extremist ideals spread in crises. I doubt much manipulation is needed to make it seem like the aliens were trying to be beneficial. Plus, it's likely that alien tech, after spreading post-resistance, had a roll in the alien coup.

The seperate alien force arriving and seeming beneficial is a possibility as well. "Look, THEY stopped the previous alien force, let's celebrate 'em!" I mean, aliens were reported in the news, but XCOM remained undercover as much as they could.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 02, 2015, 04:34:09 am »

Crossposting from spacebattles-
Do you know what might make for an interesting mechanic? Alien terraforming. As the game goes on, Earth is slowly terraformed. Attacks on terraforming stations can slow and even stop the terraforming process, but if you ignore them, or if you are having a long game, then the Earth starts to become more hostile to humans and more friendly towards the aliens. You might need to have special environmental suits to go on missions, for example, making your soldiers more fragile. Or aliens get a health regen perk, making it harder to deal with them. It wouldn't be an issue at all in the early game, but would be a way for the aliens to counterbalance your OP tech and supersoldiers in the late game.
The main issue with that is that the aliens are supposedly pretending to be beneficial.  So it would need to be justified as A. only occurring in the "wild" parts of Earth (in which case you might want to assist the "free" humans so they don't all suffocate) or B. halfway through the game the aliens stop pretending to be nice and go full tyrant.  Option B might be a nice solution to the mid-game difficult drop vanilla suffered from.  Let the difficulty drop as xcom becomes more powerful and then surprise the player with a big difficulty spike.

Then again , Advent does offer many genetic modification solutions. So you know, it might be that some of those become mandatory to ensure you remain compatible with the world.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 02, 2015, 04:37:23 am »

Well that would explain why the snake"man" has boobs despite being reptilian.
Aparently mars needs our women.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 02, 2015, 04:57:34 am »

I could see support being eliminated as a class.  Out of all the classes in the original (vanilla) game they were the least exciting.  They had no unique weapons, and their only unique piece of gear was the smoke grenade which could easily have been in the game as a generic item.  Not having supports would also make the decision of how many medkits to bring and who carries them all the more significant, especially now that you can plausibly save downed soldiers without using medkits.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 02, 2015, 05:15:10 am »

Or the support class now includes drone support.
Love, scriver~

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 02, 2015, 06:18:03 am »

Hey, Support was my favorite class. ;_; No ugly gear to replace nice rifles and armor, plus some nice abilities. They were the heart holding my teams together.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 02, 2015, 07:14:19 am »

Did anyone else get a serious Apocalypse-like vibe from the trailer?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 02, 2015, 07:18:29 am »

Hey, Support was my favorite class. ;_; No ugly gear to replace nice rifles and armor, plus some nice abilities. They were the heart holding my teams together.
Well, Assault could be played the same way - and I did, in fact, my only shotgun Assault was the one that the skill roulette rolled a Gunslinger for, so he basically had the full damage and high to-hit no matter the range.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 02, 2015, 07:41:54 am »

Support was literally that. They were all for supporting the team be it smoke or medkits and when built for overwatch they were the games supreme killers. Overwatch and remove cover.
The aliens proceed to run for cover and oportunist overwatch happens... 2 of them!
This either deals heavy damage to one oponents or pops the caps of 2 fodder aliens like thinmen or sectoids.

I'm not sure if support has a perk that lets overwatch crit but if it does nothing is safe.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 02, 2015, 07:45:38 am »

when built for overwatch they were the games supreme killers. Overwatch and remove cover.
You're thinking of Snipers.

Who DO have a perk that lets you crit Overwatch.

And who can in two different ways attack multiple times or attack then overwatch.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 02, 2015, 08:07:59 am »

when built for overwatch they were the games supreme killers. Overwatch and remove cover.

And who can in two different ways attack multiple times or attack then overwatch.
No, Snipers had the overwatch-crit (I don't remember which that was. Opportunist?), but Supports had Sentinel, that allowed a second overwatch shot if the first one was a hit. Plus Covering Fire to counter attacks, not just shoot on movement.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 02, 2015, 08:14:07 am »

Imagine if the Training Roulette gave a sniper In The Zone AND Double Tap...
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 02, 2015, 09:55:49 am »

The Support might be taking up an engineer-like roll. Who knows, maybe the drone can be customised for offense, defense, healing etc.?
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 469