Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724564 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: HYPE WITHIN
« Reply #375 on: June 01, 2015, 08:03:36 pm »

X-com terror missions wouldn't really work. X-com wants to save people instead of killing them.
Unless of course its explained by the story and those people are doomed and all... but killing htem would still not win X-com any freinds among the general public.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 01, 2015, 08:06:57 pm »

X-com terror missions wouldn't really work. X-com wants to save people instead of killing them.
Unless of course its explained by the story and those people are doomed and all... but killing htem would still not win X-com any freinds among the general public.
No, Terrorizing conquering alien-only areas. There's probably some. Maybe attacking meetings of high ranking aliens?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 01, 2015, 08:08:43 pm »

Maybe the game's actual premise is that aliens really did make the world a better place once they were in charge, and X-COM is the asshole this time around.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 01, 2015, 08:08:55 pm »

Nobody ever said this was the same XCOM. And Vahlen and Bradford seemed pretty damn happy about killing and torturing aliens. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a 'good/bad' ending depending on if you played honorably like in xcom 1, or if you went full alien and massacred your way to victory.

I mean, it worked for the aliens.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 01, 2015, 08:15:33 pm »

XCOM confirmed for Conservative Skinhead Squad? All just huge human supremacists who speak with thick regional accents.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 01, 2015, 08:21:59 pm »

No what happens is, you go to Mars, and then you start doing the exact same things on Mars that the aliens were doing on Earth.

(yeah I know newcom aliens aren't from Mars, let me have this)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 01, 2015, 08:27:30 pm »

Well in Apocalypse you took the war to the alien dimension and did almost daily incursions with annihilators and retaliators blowing up alien vessels and infrastructure.

Again not too sure how it would translate ot the new new x-com.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 01, 2015, 08:52:45 pm »

I think I figured out how the aliens could have won after losing.

Look at the sectoid. Its the same species, but it looks entirely different. Snakemen weren't in the first attack. Ethereal were never revealed to the public. What if these aliens are a """"second"""" empire that came to """"help"""" when a "rogue" empire came and invaded, but XCOM managed to save the day before the """"good"""" aliens arrived? A bit of mind control there, a bit of humanitarian aid there to help rebuild the planet, changing the aliens to look different for deniability and boom, hearts and minds won. XCOM tries to fight back? Xenophobic monsters that should know better. Assuming the public knows about XCOM in the first place.

Plus, EXALT is back it seems, so they would be a valuable asset in the coverup.

Somewhat spoilery, but this did kinda happen in the UFO:AfterX series. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There are other factions too, it's actually a pretty interesting setting.  I'd recommend starting with that third game (UFO Afterlight) or the first one (Aftermath), either works well.  The second game is mechanically interesting too, but probably the weakest of the three.  The first two are on GoG I know, and Afterlight is on Steam.  Was really buggy on release but they actually provided support, runs fine now.

(I wouldn't be plugging this except that I'm replaying the first game a bit right now, to work off some of this hype.  Probably switching to the second soon.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 08:54:31 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 01, 2015, 09:37:11 pm »

Second UFO game (aftershock) was my favorite, actually. Had a cool territory system. First one was just too "eh" and third one felt extremely repetitive.

But this is actually starting to look a lot like UFO Aftershock. I mean, come on. You're running the resistance from a flying ship after a canon defeat in the last game? Feels almost like this is a reimagining of Aftershock.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 01, 2015, 09:43:19 pm »

I actually did enjoy Aftershock quite a bit due to the geoscape mechanics like recruiting from allied factions.  It's probably better than the first, but I preferred the *tone* of the first...  It's just so grim, haunted.  I fondly remember the apprehension as a planter flew over North America, and the music kicked up as my fighters engaged - and in my current situation, they *had* to win.
I've probably spoiled too much already, I'm not going to explain what planters do.  It's worth finding out for one's self I think.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 01, 2015, 11:53:00 pm »

X-Com 2 is a PC exclusive. All's right with the world.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 02, 2015, 12:14:17 am »

Crossposting from spacebattles-
Do you know what might make for an interesting mechanic? Alien terraforming. As the game goes on, Earth is slowly terraformed. Attacks on terraforming stations can slow and even stop the terraforming process, but if you ignore them, or if you are having a long game, then the Earth starts to become more hostile to humans and more friendly towards the aliens. You might need to have special environmental suits to go on missions, for example, making your soldiers more fragile. Or aliens get a health regen perk, making it harder to deal with them. It wouldn't be an issue at all in the early game, but would be a way for the aliens to counterbalance your OP tech and supersoldiers in the late game.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 02, 2015, 12:16:07 am »

So like UFO: Afterlight in reverse.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 02, 2015, 12:21:59 am »

Crossposting from spacebattles-
Do you know what might make for an interesting mechanic? Alien terraforming. As the game goes on, Earth is slowly terraformed. Attacks on terraforming stations can slow and even stop the terraforming process, but if you ignore them, or if you are having a long game, then the Earth starts to become more hostile to humans and more friendly towards the aliens. You might need to have special environmental suits to go on missions, for example, making your soldiers more fragile. Or aliens get a health regen perk, making it harder to deal with them. It wouldn't be an issue at all in the early game, but would be a way for the aliens to counterbalance your OP tech and supersoldiers in the late game.
The main issue with that is that the aliens are supposedly pretending to be beneficial.  So it would need to be justified as A. only occurring in the "wild" parts of Earth (in which case you might want to assist the "free" humans so they don't all suffocate) or B. halfway through the game the aliens stop pretending to be nice and go full tyrant.  Option B might be a nice solution to the mid-game difficult drop vanilla suffered from.  Let the difficulty drop as xcom becomes more powerful and then surprise the player with a big difficulty spike.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 02, 2015, 12:26:12 am »

The main issue with that is that the aliens are supposedly pretending to be beneficial.  So it would need to be justified as A. only occurring in the "wild" parts of Earth (in which case you might want to assist the "free" humans so they don't all suffocate) or B. halfway through the game the aliens stop pretending to be nice and go full tyrant.  Option B might be a nice solution to the mid-game difficult drop vanilla suffered from.  Let the difficulty drop as xcom becomes more powerful and then surprise the player with a big difficulty spike.
The second part was kind of what I was thinking of.  At first it would be too slow for the humans to notice, since the aliens would control all the sensitive equipment capable of measuring any changes.  By the time humanity is able to notice, the aliens would have such a firm grasp on human cities that no amount of rioting would be able to accomplish anything. They just forgot to take XCOM into account. 
So like UFO: Afterlight in reverse.
Basically.  Still haven't gotten to the late game in that, despite having a good 50 hours in it, so I don't know how far the terraforming goes in there.  Just nice to see the enviroment get a bit greener as the game goes on, and that adds to the map variety.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 469