Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724752 times)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: HYPE WITHIN
« Reply #255 on: June 01, 2015, 11:34:54 am »

Frankly, I'd much prefer a game where XCOM is on the run, has to hide, take hard decision "Okay, I have to flee this base, what do I take with me?"

So like Liberal Crime Squad?

Die Righty Conservative EXALT! Although that sounds wrong. XCOM seem to be the Conservative Crime Squad! :o

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 01, 2015, 11:36:09 am »

Hmm, I should probably go back and finally complete a game of XCOM, eh? Anyways, colour me excited!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 01, 2015, 11:36:37 am »

Having my veterans would probably be extremely unbalanced in a new game.  I'd love it though, four paladin class MEC Colonels are hard to beat.
It's been twenty years and aliens have taken over the world, they wouldn't have much left over rookies if there was such a system. But it'd be cool.

Also, the Avenger is big, but it's not that big. It's a modified supply barge. You remember supply barges, right? They don't even hold a candle to battleships.

I don't think all this cynicism about the strategic game is warranted. The X-Com team has been responsive to mass criticism. You know, like half of Enemy Within's content? Brought back base defense? Released Second Wave when they realized X-Com's fanbase remained 2hardcore4u?

The strat game and the air game are probably EU/EW's biggest weaknesses. I think there's good odds of it being addressed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 01, 2015, 11:36:46 am »

procedurally generated maps
Were they not? That's (must) suck. Even OldCom 1.0 had procedurally generated maps and destructible environments (they have those, though, right?)
Also, do we know what happened? How did we go from kicking alien butt to being occupied by them?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 01, 2015, 11:41:47 am »

We don't know yet. Spoilers ahead at E3, I'd probably prefer to find out from the game itself. :)
But if I were to guess, after XCOM beat them back, the aliens returned in force and eventually handed the humans their asses because there was no way to get at their origin base.

That or they somehow altered time and prevented the volunteer from completing his/her mission.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 01, 2015, 11:42:33 am »

We didn't win. We lost.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Either this is an alt universe where humanity lost, xcom was disbanded and we surrendered to the aliens, or the greater threat the Ethereals talked about arrived and kicked our arse as said.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 01, 2015, 11:45:35 am »

Or the Temple Ship wasn't the end. Considering Jake Solomon has talked about the Volunteer as important canon, I think that's the most likely possibility.

I personally don't think this is an alternate universe, bad end, or what if.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 01, 2015, 11:46:38 am »

Developers say PC exclusive all the time. The reality ends up very different. (Especially if "PC Exclusive" means "gets released on the PC first but the design still accounts for an eventual port to consoles.")

Surprising for them to say it, yeah, but we'll have to wait for the final implementation to see whether they actually made good on it. The UI is always the biggest tell.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 01, 2015, 11:48:12 am »

Developers say PC exclusive all the time. The reality ends up very different. (Especially if "PC Exclusive" means "gets released on the PC first but the design still accounts for an eventual port to consoles."
Citation needed? No offense, but the general attitude of the PC Master Race regarding this subject makes me skeptical.
No Gods, No Masters.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 01, 2015, 11:49:09 am »

On one hand, I want PC Exclusive because that usually makes for better gameplay... on the other, even though I just got a new PC, it's not really capable of playing newly released games so I likely wouldn't be able to play this anytime soon unless it comes out on Xbox One. :(

But anyway... THE HYPE IS REAL.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 01, 2015, 11:51:10 am »

Developers say PC exclusive all the time. The reality ends up very different. (Especially if "PC Exclusive" means "gets released on the PC first but the design still accounts for an eventual port to consoles."
Citation needed? No offense, but the general attitude of the PC Master Race regarding this subject makes me skeptical.
Yeah, I can't remember any examples of it happening, although if you could point it out it would be great. Console exclusives, on the other hand, sometime get ported to PC anyway.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 01, 2015, 11:52:48 am »

We lost by winning.

IIRC the villain monologues at the end of XCOM was all about how the alien overlords had been scavenging the universe trying to find the perfect species for [unknown objective] (presumably fighting the Greater Threat), uplifting them and modifying them in the process.

Well, congratulations, humanity. You passed the test.
Love, scriver~

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 01, 2015, 11:54:26 am »

We lost by winning.

IIRC the villain monologues at the end of XCOM was all about how the alien overlords had been scavenging the universe trying to find the perfect species for [unknown objective] (presumably fighting the Greater Threat), uplifting them and modifying them in the process.

Well, congratulations, humanity. You passed the test.

Yeah, it's not like all the alien tech they have been seeding earth with could ever bite us in the ass.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 01, 2015, 11:54:55 am »

If this game is going to have a twist, I'm hoping that it's the Threat showing up in the mid-late game and just kicking everyone's heads in.

On the other hand, you could always go with the classic "No X-Com, you are the demons". After all, they're only civilians...
No Gods, No Masters.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 01, 2015, 11:55:00 am »

I think we're all missing the most important new feature, though.

Were there beards before? Anyway, that hairdo's definitely new. Appearance customization options are niiice.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 469