Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 723937 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Aut Neca Aut Necare
« Reply #5520 on: May 26, 2016, 08:49:12 pm »

I just done got this game the other day. It's excellent. It's what XCOM should have been, mechanically, and the resistance concept fits really well. I like being sneaky too.

Unfortunately, it wasn't changed to make me magically better at the game somehow. Also the modding scene seems kinda flaccid?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: May 26, 2016, 10:32:41 pm »

I stick with what mods ChristopherOdd uses in his YT campaign.

I like the tweaks, and the Rogue, Trooper, Infantry classes.

I did not pick up the Alien Hunter DLC, I might not as the balances seems out of whack.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: May 26, 2016, 11:53:06 pm »

I did not pick up the Alien Hunter DLC, I might not as the balances seems out of whack.
Depends on what you mean. You get some bullshit enemies rolling up, totally fucking your squad, and leaving. It can turn normal missions into "fuck fuck fuck I hope I don't lose any more men" battles. I think that's how it's supposed to work, which makes it balanced in my view. Kind of a Delta Green feel every once in a while, rather than the traditional XCOM where if you play your cards right, everything will go okay.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: May 27, 2016, 11:29:28 am »

"throwing strategy out the window and completely curbstomping the player is balanced"
:P
Black lives matter.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5524 on: May 27, 2016, 11:35:53 am »

"throwing strategy out the window and completely curbstomping the player is balanced"
Its not like you can't easily do this in reverse with only a single mod. Add Toolbox and your cosmetic mods of choice, max squadsize. After gts upgrades you have twice the squad (and thus twice the number of potential blaster launcher/shredstorm cannon war suits, or simply twice the guns) and no enemy buff to compensate, since toolbox itself does not adjust anything to counter your squadsize choice.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5525 on: May 27, 2016, 01:06:35 pm »

So, uh. Firaxis forgot something rather important.
Bug or feature?
Feature, actually. Watched a stream where they specifically said that it was a hard decision, but they eventually decided to allow the Rulers to be executable.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: May 27, 2016, 01:30:29 pm »

Its not like you can't easily do this in reverse with only a single mod. Add Toolbox and your cosmetic mods of choice, max squadsize. After gts upgrades you have twice the squad (and thus twice the number of potential blaster launcher/shredstorm cannon war suits, or simply twice the guns) and no enemy buff to compensate, since toolbox itself does not adjust anything to counter your squadsize choice.
Well, if you do tweak the game yourself, you can hardly complain it's not balanced. Getting a DLC since the pre-order hype promised ten Enemy Withins in the following year and getting an imbalanced gameplay is kind of a different story.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: May 27, 2016, 02:09:57 pm »

Bug or feature?
Feature, actually. Watched a stream where they specifically said that it was a hard decision, but they eventually decided to allow the Rulers to be executable.
That sounds kinda dumb.  I still don't know what a "repeater" mod is even supposed to represent, that it adds an instant-kill chance.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: May 27, 2016, 02:13:45 pm »

Bug or feature?
That sounds kinda dumb.  I still don't know what a "repeater" mod is even supposed to represent, that it adds an instant-kill chance.
Even worse is that it looks like a silencer for your weapons in game.

I think they did that just so you can get the achievement where you kill the ruler the turn they show up. I don't even think that's possible without that.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: May 27, 2016, 04:37:27 pm »

Changing the way you think about strategy isn't the same as discarding it. I'm assuming you mean tactics here though, the DLC doesn't really seem to do much at the strategic level, which is sort of a shame.

I think they did that just so you can get the achievement where you kill the ruler the turn they show up. I don't even think that's possible without that.
Nothing really prevents you from leaving the mission and just over-leveling, so it's possible. Not really reasonable or in keeping with presumable developer intent, but possible.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 04:48:41 pm by Cruxador »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: May 27, 2016, 05:05:40 pm »

Nothing really prevents you from leaving the mission and just over-leveling, so it's possible. Not really reasonable or in keeping with presumable developer intent, but possible.
No, as in the very first time you actually see it.

Regicide
Kill an alien ruler the first time you encounter it

I honestly think the only way you can do this legitimately is to play on easy, don't do the mission where you encounter the Viper King until you have max everything, then go into the fight and stun the King with the freeze grenade so you get 3 free actions. Then shoot it as much as possible in those three actions.

In the third action it will summon the portal. Then in your fourth action you must savescum your plasma bolter to stun it. Then you must kill it before that stun runs out if not it will teleport away.

I'm assuming on easy it has less health because it has 60 normally. And two armour. That's a metric shittonne of health to kill in that short amount of time.

You'd have to be insane to try to do it to the other two who have way more health than the King. Or some seriously mod upgraded weapons / cheats.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: May 27, 2016, 05:11:54 pm »

Leaving the mission as in, not taking it.

don't do the mission where you encounter the Viper King until you have max everything
This.

Also, you do get several actions before it summons the portal. You'd be best off conserving your freeze grenade until then. Especially because there's another achievement you can get for killing it while escaping, which only 0.3% of people have, as opposed to 1.2% for regicide.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 05:15:04 pm by Cruxador »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: May 27, 2016, 05:19:01 pm »

Leaving the mission as in, not taking it.

don't do the mission where you encounter the Viper King until you have max everything
This.

Also, you do get several actions before it summons the portal. You'd be best off conserving your freeze grenade until then. Especially because there's another achievement you can get for killing it while escaping, which only 0.3% of people have, as opposed to 1.2% for regicide.
I bet you almost every single one of those were obtained the same like how I got it.

By executing the ruler.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: May 27, 2016, 07:56:21 pm »

If it wasn't for the fact that both my bolt guy and my throwing axe guy were frozen for the entire fight I would have been able to kill the viper on the mission it appeared on. As it was it escaped with only fifteen health, and my last action before it escaped was moving a grenadier closer because he didn't have LOS and it was the end of that turn.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: May 28, 2016, 01:26:03 am »

Okay, I give up.

I just don't have the mental fortitude to play through Alien Hunters on ironman commander. I could do that fine without AH, sure, but just not with the fucking leaders here. It's simply just nerve wracking 100% of the time worrying about what could happen if I get caught by a leader in a bad position. I haven't even lost a soldier to a leader, but just the thought of it being a possibility is too much for me to bear.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 469