Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724022 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Aut Neca Aut Necare
« Reply #5460 on: May 11, 2016, 09:03:04 pm »

Makes you wonder if civilians can openly ask a viper or sectoid for directions... or interact with them the way you probably could with a policeman.
After all both seem to walk in broad daylight on most early missions.

I kinda doubt it since not even advent troopers seem to speak anything vaguely resembling human speech and relying on alien barks instead.
How do you know they're not just communicating in alien to avoid tipping you off what their plans are?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: May 11, 2016, 09:17:15 pm »

Makes you wonder if civilians can openly ask a viper or sectoid for directions... or interact with them the way you probably could with a policeman.
After all both seem to walk in broad daylight on most early missions.

I kinda doubt it since not even advent troopers seem to speak anything vaguely resembling human speech and relying on alien barks instead.
How do you know they're not just communicating in alien to avoid tipping you off what their plans are?
Because they speak in alien gibberish when they stop people at checkpoints.
Seen in gatecrasher when Bradford gets inspected for example.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: May 11, 2016, 11:15:28 pm »

The best explanation I have for that is that the aliens looked at all the varied languages humans speak and were like "nope, you want to live in our fancy cities, you learn a few words of ethereal."
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5463 on: May 11, 2016, 11:17:14 pm »

As peeved as I am on how the aliens are depicted in Xcom 2 with "come on are they even trying?"

I probably would have felt the same way over an accurate depiction of Pre-WW2 Germany.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: May 11, 2016, 11:21:30 pm »

...What'd you mean, 'come on are they even trying'? And the hell does Germany have to do with it...?
thou doth not makes the sense
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: May 11, 2016, 11:57:58 pm »

...What'd you mean, 'come on are they even trying'? And the hell does Germany have to do with it...?
thou doth not makes the sense

The aliens are very transparent and idiotic... with paper thin disguises.

In fact... one of the game's twists is only a twist because you wouldn't think the aliens would be so dumb.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: May 12, 2016, 01:33:48 am »

Its how Firaxis has chosen to tell the story.  The aliens' propaganda is part of the story; if it was effective propaganda then Firaxis wouldn't be getting across the message that the aliens are Bad Dudes.

Although "effective propaganda" is already a bit questionable; propaganda in RL mainly works by flooding people who don't have free access to information with pro-government messages, or by "selling" people things they already want to believe.  See: WW2 propaganda that basically says "we're great, our enemies are evil".  There's plenty of RL propaganda that looks stupid in a vacuum.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: May 12, 2016, 01:48:44 am »

I'm just sad Firaxis won't let us have Reverse Terror Missions.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: May 12, 2016, 05:18:07 am »

Someone could mod this in... Hell, my squads already look like they fight inexplicably multi-national counter-terrorist teams to blow up random arabic marketplaces.

Mostly though, I'm sad they chickened out with ADVENT Troopers. It would be far more interesting if they were just regular-ass human collaborators who joined off the streets because it beats mugging people in alleys, maybe with gene-mods to bolster them, a'la EXALT. Instead, they are basically Stormtroopers, and once the tutorial mission is done, they are treated as just another alien type without a second thought, and since Clones Are Expendable, they basically *are*.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5469 on: May 12, 2016, 10:43:02 am »

Someone could mod this in... Hell, my squads already look like they fight inexplicably multi-national counter-terrorist teams to blow up random arabic marketplaces.

Mostly though, I'm sad they chickened out with ADVENT Troopers. It would be far more interesting if they were just regular-ass human collaborators who joined off the streets because it beats mugging people in alleys, maybe with gene-mods to bolster them, a'la EXALT. Instead, they are basically Stormtroopers, and once the tutorial mission is done, they are treated as just another alien type without a second thought, and since Clones Are Expendable, they basically *are*.
They are literally stormtroopers though. Literally.

And since it is yet another thing XCOM shares with Half-Life 2, I'm inclined to allow it.
I understand why this is, but I can't help but feel saddened. I'd really like it for there to, once in a blue moon, have there be a mission with the goal "Wreck havoc!"
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: May 12, 2016, 10:58:57 am »

No, HL2 Metrocops are actual human blackshirts who one day kissed their wife, walked the dog, drunk a morning coffee, went to the Combine cop-shop, put on the armor, took up a stunstick and went a-police brutalizin'. Even the higher tiers are extensively modified transhumans who one day put on the white gasmask for better rations.

ADVENT Troopers are literally clones, same as every other alien unit - they have never been human. They are mass-produced synths.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: May 12, 2016, 11:31:48 am »

I actually do wish that Valve didn't dehumanize the metrocops so much though. Like, less distorted voices, transparent face mask instead of gas mask, etc. Might give some nice contrast with overwatch soldiers too, who are actually augmented.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: May 12, 2016, 12:09:51 pm »

Well, it's out. Download has begun.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: May 12, 2016, 12:13:08 pm »

So everything is broken besides ini edits until the mods get going again, I'd assume?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: May 12, 2016, 03:21:54 pm »

Well, it's out. Download has begun.
???

I have clearly misunderestimated how soon this would be available. A pity, as I am still knee deep in school work.

*Looks at the patch notes*

They nerfed the tier-2 grenades. Minor nerf to evac, as you now can't put down evac where a soldier is standing. Nerfed Repeaters, they now no longer work with DoT or Stock. The Avatar time thing has been changed! Now the timer no longer refills after the Doom clock starts. Makes sense, that was incredibly cheesy. Fix for Hazard suits and acid.

Seems like they've fixed several issues about environmental destruction, explosives, and animations. Grenades will no longer pre-emptively destroy the environment before blowing up. Skulljacks no longer levitate people, and neither should picking up bodies. Viper bind less buggy. Some fixes on loadouts, which is good because I didn't understand them at all.

ADVENT and aliens now get ranged boni/mali! Interesting.

Also a huge number of changes to multiplayer, too many to describe really. Like, I think every single unit has been touched.

Also yay, character bios are now longer (woo!), and the default ones have been adjusted (lol looks like they noticed the 10-yr old warheroes).

And a bunch of stuff about performance that will really only be meaningful to someone who actually understands graphics.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 469