Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724546 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Welcome Back, Commander.
« Reply #4965 on: February 18, 2016, 09:58:47 pm »

Fun fact: If a human corpse is in the area of effect when those guys use Shadow Ball, it'll revive them too.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: February 19, 2016, 01:04:38 am »

Had a fun thing happen. I saw a Chryssalid burrow just out of sight due to a scanner. So I had my Psi trooper blast it's position with Rift, figuring that'd force it to reveal and we could then shoot it down easily. Instead it got MC'd, which I'd never had happen before on a Rift. It was neat, if short lived. I guess that only lasts about 2 turns, so he soon turned back and got shot to bits by my team. But for a little while I had a nice disposable scout.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: February 19, 2016, 02:36:08 am »

Fun fact: If a human corpse is in the area of effect when those guys use Shadow Ball, it'll revive them too.
Does that work on mimic beacons?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: February 19, 2016, 05:21:28 am »

Don't think those count as organics.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: February 19, 2016, 05:28:10 am »

Dead mimic beacons can be reanimated, yes.

Also, the shadow ball thing is pretty funny when used by the AI. I've had it kill multiple aliens in its own turn w/ the ability, since it wanted to reanimate a corpse in the middle of the aliens' position/
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: February 19, 2016, 06:42:11 am »

So, if you mind control a reanimator and reanimate a mimic, what does it reanimate as?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: February 19, 2016, 08:15:47 am »

The Commander.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: February 19, 2016, 08:36:57 am »

X-COM

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: February 19, 2016, 10:22:17 am »

The beach ball from hell is very powerful when it decides to pop out of its shell and nuke ya. If it ever managed to do that before I either killed it outright, or engaged me when I was preoccupied with other pods, (or survive Domination) it might really manage to raise hell, what with persistent zombies and such really forcing me to further divide my forces. Fortunately I almost ALWAYS have both an EMP bomb and Bluescreen Rounds, so its never been an issue for me yet.

I think I could make a graph showing precisely how fucked the tactical situation is, based on A) the enemies revealed, and B) how long they have been alive.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: February 19, 2016, 10:27:11 am »

Beach ball from hell is exactly what it is on a retaliation. Half the civilians on the map killed in one turn, 5 psi zombies stumbling out of a structurally unsound building next turn.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: February 19, 2016, 11:15:34 am »

The cool thing is you can actually dominate one and gain control of it for the rest of the game. And all the zompies it raises.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: February 19, 2016, 11:20:27 am »

Second campaign is dead, at the hands of fucking Archons and a chronic understaffing problem colliding. I nearly clutched it out with my sole surviving sniper who would have saved three unconscious others, only for an Advanced Officer to finally get a hit on what would have been the last turn.

After that I entered the meatgrinder with only one surviving advanced rank. I sold off as much of X-Com as I could to get some fresh rookies only for the next mission to introduce Andromedons. Called it after the second code black.

Live and learn, I really needed to rush upgrades more heavily. I wish I had more time to play this game, avoiding my own thread is annoying.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: February 19, 2016, 12:16:52 pm »

Second campaign is dead, at the hands of fucking Archons and a chronic understaffing problem colliding. I nearly clutched it out with my sole surviving sniper who would have saved three unconscious others, only for an Advanced Officer to finally get a hit on what would have been the last turn.

After that I entered the meatgrinder with only one surviving advanced rank. I sold off as much of X-Com as I could to get some fresh rookies only for the next mission to introduce Andromedons. Called it after the second code black.

Live and learn, I really needed to rush upgrades more heavily. I wish I had more time to play this game, avoiding my own thread is annoying.
Understaffing was the biggest issue for me in my Vet campaign. People would always come back from missions, but with, like, 22 days in the hospital. Then you gotta bring squaddies, and squaddies might crack, etc... I managed to handle it, but understaffing is just deadly all around. It's less problematic at least then in EU, since the GTS is easily the first or second thing you build, and you can start training rookies right off the bat.. You can buy two high-level units (one from headquarters for supplies, one from black market for intel) which is good for keeping your numbers up if they are slipping, but it is very expensive. Of course, better to have good units then dead ones in nice gear.

Unrelated, I wish I could actually set certain people as part of the A-team, B-Team, etc. It would be kinda cool. I think they have some ability as it stands to figure that out: my A-Team Grenadier went to visit A-Team Jane Kelly in the hospital (and would continually do so, which was cool).
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: February 19, 2016, 12:56:08 pm »

Finished the game for the first time last night. Was on Commander Ironman and I was left feeing utterly exausted by the end of the final mission*. Solomon you utter madman. I applaud you.

*Did not help that I had to race the clock with both my laundry, and a non essential but hyped club meeting at the time.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: February 19, 2016, 02:05:55 pm »

Understaffing was the biggest issue for me in my Vet campaign. People would always come back from missions, but with, like, 22 days in the hospital. Then you gotta bring squaddies, and squaddies might crack, etc... I managed to handle it, but understaffing is just deadly all around. It's less problematic at least then in EU, since the GTS is easily the first or second thing you build, and you can start training rookies right off the bat.. You can buy two high-level units (one from headquarters for supplies, one from black market for intel) which is good for keeping your numbers up if they are slipping, but it is very expensive. Of course, better to have good units then dead ones in nice gear.

Unrelated, I wish I could actually set certain people as part of the A-team, B-Team, etc. It would be kinda cool. I think they have some ability as it stands to figure that out: my A-Team Grenadier went to visit A-Team Jane Kelly in the hospital (and would continually do so, which was cool).

That kill exp+ upgrade definitely seems like a high-priority buy, since it feels like low-rank troops are less reliable than in EU (where you could just give one a laser carbine + scope and let them mop everything up).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 469