Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724544 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Welcome Back, Commander.
« Reply #4950 on: February 18, 2016, 11:41:53 am »

So just abuse it for a turn. Have all your guys hunker down or get defensive aid and let the aliens miss for a turn, see if you can take their good luck from them.

At least, that used to work for me in EU.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: February 18, 2016, 11:48:26 am »

Does anyone know what the aim bonus the aliens get when firing at a marked target is? Whenever they do that it seems their accuracy jumps up to the 90% range regardless of cover (not exaggerating either, I can count on one hand the number of times they've missed a marked person)
According to the ini it's +10 aim.

So just abuse it for a turn. Have all your guys hunker down or get defensive aid and let the aliens miss for a turn, see if you can take their good luck from them.

At least, that used to work for me in EU.
I did this once in LW, because all my good shots missed and then a pack of floaters hit a bunch of 15% or so shots against me.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: February 18, 2016, 01:21:34 pm »

It seems like it still sticks with this principle, although I also got impression that hacking rolls are not always consistent.
Hacking rolls were totally non-seed based on launch for some reason. Could just savescum the hell out of them until you got exactly what you wanted.
Then about halfway through my first campaign they seem to have become seed based and become as immutable as everything else.

Though even now they seem to differ by a few percentage points (and always in the "fuck you" direction, every time)
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: February 18, 2016, 02:46:42 pm »

This just reminded me of the XCOM resistance
https://xkcd.com/842/
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: February 18, 2016, 03:22:24 pm »

I just did the Codex Brain co-ordinates thing. I sense I'm near the end of the game, but I won't know until I research what I got from there. It'll be a little while in any case: I don't have the power to upgrade my facility, and while that could be solved relatively quickly, I also have guerilla ops to do.

EDIT: I did the research on that, and now I have the penultimate mission. I still have a couple things left to do first, namely get attacked by a UFO that is hunting me (I WILL use my defense matrix damn it), completely level my psy-soldier (my god the usefulness is pretty much constant with them. Basically no situation without a trick up their sleeve), level up my B-team (My B-team consists entirely of people who took the opposite sub-class of my A-team, meaning my ex-convict Gunslinger, my laid-back medic, my "veteran gone slightly crazy" heavy gunner, and my self-insert girlfriend Sword-Master), contact the remaining regions and build a relay or two for the continent bonus (not that most will help. The most useful is North America's allowing me to get instant armor in case I decide I want more), and apparently one more guerilla mission for old times sake. Oh, and get more intel to get those sweet bonuses.

Tell me, does the final mission provide the same intel boni that penultimate one does?

I know I say this often, but I am really enjoying this. It's still very "cool" overall, and replayability looks to be strong. I hope the complaints I do have are fixed up a bit, because when they are this will be one of my all-time favorites.
  • I'm getting generally solid 60 FPS generally now, but I'd like to bump the settings up a little higher. This is a new computer; a laptop, true, but a gaming one.
  • Some bug-smashing here and there unrelated to performance, like some small avenger things, the tendency of Skull-jacking to be weird with the camera and in general, and maybe getting rid of some of those damn pauses.
  • The campaign does need some leveling out. It's November in my game (I delay a lot), but other then the periodic data-slate Tygan's had pretty free weekdays. I've had T3 for months, it was just upgrading to it that was the problem. Plus I've had all the end-game enemies for a good long while. This I hope is fixed in DLC, with modding providing a good stop-gap until then.

Also, I've been trying a few small mods, and they have really improved quality of life, despite my initial concerns about how much they worked. Evac All is practically just a straight-up patch. I haven't actually used Free-camera yet, I keep forgetting.  :D

Now I gotta go take a test.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: February 18, 2016, 03:30:04 pm »

The final mission has a different bonus.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: February 18, 2016, 03:45:31 pm »

I really need to be more careful about mind controlling people. I keep activating new pods because my new friend can see them. This usually goes poorly for my new friend.

R.I.P. Shieldbearer. Better you took that Sectopod hit than me.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: February 18, 2016, 04:09:55 pm »

I really need to be more careful about mind controlling people. I keep activating new pods because my new friend can see them. This usually goes poorly for my new friend.

R.I.P. Shieldbearer. Better you took that Sectopod hit than me.

Better a new slave than someone important.  That shield is one-shot anyway.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: February 18, 2016, 05:42:29 pm »

Of course. It was more the fact that he activated a Sectopod (and a few other Advent) when I did that then him dying before he did anything.
Come play Mafia with us!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: February 18, 2016, 08:38:49 pm »

I always consider getting enemies to shoot at mind controlled dudes to be rather productive, it prevents your soldiers from being in danger.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: February 18, 2016, 08:44:39 pm »

In a recent mission I played I hacked a heavy MEC, he revealed a ton of enemies, shot the relay objective once, then died.

Then I finished the relay off with a gas grenade and evaced because I didn't feel like fighting 4 archons at once with my B team.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: February 18, 2016, 08:50:21 pm »

MC'd Andromedons (when they happen) are like grenades and mimic beacons combined. Need a hole in the wall? Order the andromedon to walk through it. Need to scout forcefully and avoid damage? Send in the andromedon. Plus its hackable if you need an extension on its support later, otherwise you don't have to deal with the armor it had before while you kill it for good.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: February 18, 2016, 08:59:27 pm »

Andromedons are pretty good for MC. Tho the first time I did it I kinda forgot about the whole "walks trough stuff" thing. So I send it out to scout out this bridge in the forge and it just casually walks trough the high cover my grenadier and sniper were in, destroying it in the process. It didn't matter in the end since they never got shot at, but it was still an annoying thing to happen.

Also fun thing my sniper got, deep cover, the thing that gives you hunker every turn you end in cover. Naturally I had to combine that with the hunker aim bonus for great glory :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: February 18, 2016, 09:00:31 pm »

In the final mission I MC'ed a big white beachball and then used its power to reanimate a bunch of friends that did mass scouting for me, didn't bother me if they ran into trouble on the way.  The beachball only died when the 'lids swarmed over it.  But, better the beachball than one of my best.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: February 18, 2016, 09:51:23 pm »

In the final mission I MC'ed a big white beachball and then used its power to reanimate a bunch of friends that did mass scouting for me, didn't bother me if they ran into trouble on the way.  The beachball only died when the 'lids swarmed over it.  But, better the beachball than one of my best.
I dominated one and it lasted all the way to the last room. Almost kept it alive till I won, but forgot that mutons don't take kindly to melee attacks.
Also all the enemies it could reanimate were dead before it appeared, so didn't get to use it for that.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 469