Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724401 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Enemy Known
« Reply #495 on: June 02, 2015, 08:42:52 pm »

I agree about the number of soldiers. Even if XCOM was only "elites", it should still have thousands of soldiers, not less than a hundred. And more than 6 soldiers to a mission or multiple missions at once, because really? 1 Skyranger? I don't think XCOM's that broke. At least by the Firestorms and such come out.

Now, they have an excuse. They don't have enough guys to commit a bunch to a single mission.

The thing is any number of soldiers is going to be an arbitrary limit. A Chinook can carry 35 soldiers at a time. Why can you only send one transport? Why not two, or three, or four? Can't you just send a company and drown the enemy in numbers? You could cram extra soldiers in there, even if they had to stand for a while.

It's something that isn;t worth complaining about from a logic standpoint. After all, even in Oldcom, only one transport could ever respond to a crash site at once...
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 02, 2015, 08:48:26 pm »

You have to accept gameplay > realism at some point, since the entire premise of NuCom is based on several large suspensions of disbelief.  Personally, I think holds lots of potential.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 02, 2015, 09:01:52 pm »

in xenonauts i'd do my damned best to drown them
IN CORPSES
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 02, 2015, 09:12:56 pm »

The more rookies you send, the more cover you have!
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 02, 2015, 09:54:14 pm »

Yes, Jimmy. Go hug the alien.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 02, 2015, 10:20:43 pm »

"Stand here rookie.  No don't crouch, if I wanted half cover I'd stand behind that car."
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Uristits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 02, 2015, 10:49:45 pm »

Make it play like men of war assault squad 2, but with aliens.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 02, 2015, 11:14:42 pm »

So after rewatching the trailer for what must be the 17th time, I can't help but see how XCOM-ish the shot where the sniper dashes into position feels. It feels like a Glam-cam shot straight out of EU/EW.
The animation, the flag on the back of the armor, the weapon. Just feels so similar. Definitely not a bad thing, but interesting.

Also, another fun fact: The sniper appears to have a gauss(?) sniper rifle, while the rest of the XCOM soldiers have conventional weapons.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 02, 2015, 11:30:38 pm »

Cool thing was that the security guards would become operatives if they gained enough experience in the fight. It was my favorite moment in the game.

You are either confused or using a mod that I wasn't, because this never happened to me. A guard could do the mission practically by themselves and this wouldn't happen. They just disappeared after the mission was over.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 02, 2015, 11:35:35 pm »

I believe it was added in an update.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 02, 2015, 11:36:14 pm »

I've never seen it, and I've done a dozen full runs.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

GobbieMarauder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 02, 2015, 11:50:48 pm »

The "retcon" to basic tech doesn't really bother me, because the alternatives are to either have no tech tree, have all the tech be really boring "+5 Damage" things, or have you start out with Plasma and end with Alpha Centauri-tier Probability Cannons.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 03, 2015, 12:06:04 am »

I've never seen it, and I've done a dozen full runs.
They have to score enough kills to be promoted.

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 03, 2015, 12:56:57 am »

The "retcon" to basic tech doesn't really bother me, because the alternatives are to either have no tech tree, have all the tech be really boring "+5 Damage" things, or have you start out with Plasma and end with Alpha Centauri-tier Probability Cannons.

Tutorial mission is the XCOM base being attacked by a large force of aliens that managed to either get past detection or hit so fast that detection didn't matter. Like the first mission of XCOM EU, everyone dies. As everyone dies, you get to watch the aliens wipe out your scientists and engineers, and blow up their workplaces. The tutorial teaches you to loot and stealth and all that by sneaking past people and looting the equipment and bringing it to the skyranger.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's plenty of ways to explain away the plasma and armor without going AU.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 03, 2015, 01:12:23 am »

I really hope they have a completely different tech tree. Doing the same one from EU/EW would be extremely boring and bland. I don't want Plasma Guns of +5 Aim, please. Give me my railguns! My pulse lasers!

But right now I've seen three weapon types:
  • Ballistic - Like the weapon used by the American sword-guy.
  • Gauss? Pulse Laser? Railgun? - The weapons used by XCOM sniper, some other XCOM guy, and Advent soldiers.
  • Beam weapon - The one used by the trailer Viper.

Even if this is all the types we'll get, it's still better than boring regular lasers and plasma.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 469