Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724816 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Welcome Back, Commander.
« Reply #4815 on: February 13, 2016, 07:44:17 pm »

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #4816 on: February 13, 2016, 08:19:24 pm »

I have a rather game-breaking bug going on, but a rather, unusual one.

The aliens don't move anymore. At all. Under any circumstance. Not on their turn, not when their pod is revealed, not even when I break concealment for the first time. I tried an overwatch ambush, only for it to be useless because "standing perfectly still, minding their own business" isn't enough to set it off. It started on the previous mission (a downed UFO), but I hoped that it would only last for a single mission. Nope. I feel like I'm beating up children now. Even attacking the Sectopod feels like a violation. (Although I did skulljack a codex, and the thing that popped out had so much dodge it managed to survive for a while despite me apparently turning off the aliens.

It started when I ran a Heavy MEC full force at the enemy and micro-missiled itself. I think that's it. I get VERY weird bugs whenever I do that. Once all the animations stopped and the game wouldn't continue, and this time, well, this happened.

Fortunately it wasn't Ironman, so I can still deal with this in any case.
I had the same problem, but it started when I gas-grenaded a pack of mutons led by a berserker. The only person who could see them was in concealment, so everything just froze... I had to reboot XCom 2 in order to fix it.
The aliens would just stand around until their turn timed out. I got a flawless 13/13 civilians rescued terror mission out of it though, so that was nice?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 08:44:44 pm by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: February 13, 2016, 08:40:13 pm »

Does anyone else feel that the game has a pacing problem?

It starts fine and you feel like you are progresssing, encountering new cool enemies and so forth. Then you suddenly get plasma weapons and power armor, there are suddenly gatekeepers on every mission and nothing left to research. Instead of a steady progress and development, you just suddenly jump to the maximum level. After that I just sort of grinded the game to an end, I didn't really feel it had anything interesting to give me anymore.

I concur.  The eventual obvious Long War mod will work really well, I feel.  But yeah, I was progressing kind of slowly on the missions until I realized I was picking up the scraps at the end of the tech tree, then powered through the second half of the story until the end.

It's nice to see SATELLITE ALL THE COUNTRIES gone (I never had more than half coverage; granted I was always supply starved) but the pacing is indeed off a little.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: February 13, 2016, 09:03:19 pm »

Honestly, I was saying it from near the start, what nuCOM 2 needs boils down to this: A much longer effective Doom timer, either by modding alien progress and objectives to move more slowly/toward a much more difficult goal, or else by brute-forcing it with a very large countdown bar; and a much larger, deeper, more slowly acquired tech tree (with more random + customization options, natch) paired with a similarly larger, slower-moving progression of difficulty.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: February 13, 2016, 09:59:42 pm »

A randomized tech tree... mmm, I believe this game could pull it off.  Expand the weapon tree to five tiers, not entirely unlike Long War in that they have advantages and disadvantages per tier.  Each tier is missing a weapon selected at random.  Rework the autopsies so you can't get every upgrade from them.  Yes, yes, it's totally doable.

I think the tech tree feels shorter because all the air game researches are gone and not replaced.  The Avenger needs more tech-gated options; the quick building unlocks at the beginning (proving grounds, AWC, resistance coms) don't count.  Right now it's what, just that, psi lab, shadow chamber, and defense matrix?  Upgrade for power from elerium?  It's skinny.

Also, the Doom Counter looks shorter than it really is.  Facilities are easy to hit, and there's quite a few story points that lower it.

As a side note...

Spoiler: Late/end game question (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: February 13, 2016, 10:11:01 pm »

That's the point, though. The "short length, easy reduction" Doom counter encourages a style of play where you rush through the campaign to avoid the loss-condition, to the point that the dominant meta is to slow down as much as possible by milking the timer before resetting it. If you make it longer and tick slower, you can slow down the progression of tech and difficulty alongside it, opening up space for new content and more mission overall + options at any given time.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: February 13, 2016, 11:02:17 pm »

I'm pretty ok with the short doom timer.

I think Dark Events should be cumulative rather than timing out.  Obviously this would require a very different deck (and some should probably still be monthly) but I don't think it would exactly ruin the difficulty if advent got a few extra permanent armor plates.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: February 13, 2016, 11:20:45 pm »

Honestly, I was saying it from near the start, what nuCOM 2 needs boils down to this: A much longer effective Doom timer, either by modding alien progress and objectives to move more slowly/toward a much more difficult goal, or else by brute-forcing it with a very large countdown bar; and a much larger, deeper, more slowly acquired tech tree (with more random + customization options, natch) paired with a similarly larger, slower-moving progression of difficulty.
I agree, and I was just thinking about this earlier today. I think it would be really nice to have a longer doom counter, because it could allow a campaign to have more ups and downs then it does currently; simultaneously the pacing could be worked out so as to be a lot neater, so even if the early game is still a little disproportionately punishing, it would be ok because it's not the end of the world (I hear that in general, XCOM 2 is better at this then XCOM EU). The tech-tree needs to be worked out further. Fortunately this is something Firaxis can and does fix in expansions, but until then we at least have modding.

Overall, it does need to be smoothed out, and I'm confident it will be.
I have a rather game-breaking bug going on, but a rather, unusual one.

The aliens don't move anymore. At all. Under any circumstance. Not on their turn, not when their pod is revealed, not even when I break concealment for the first time. I tried an overwatch ambush, only for it to be useless because "standing perfectly still, minding their own business" isn't enough to set it off. It started on the previous mission (a downed UFO), but I hoped that it would only last for a single mission. Nope. I feel like I'm beating up children now. Even attacking the Sectopod feels like a violation. (Although I did skulljack a codex, and the thing that popped out had so much dodge it managed to survive for a while despite me apparently turning off the aliens.

It started when I ran a Heavy MEC full force at the enemy and micro-missiled itself. I think that's it. I get VERY weird bugs whenever I do that. Once all the animations stopped and the game wouldn't continue, and this time, well, this happened.

Fortunately it wasn't Ironman, so I can still deal with this in any case.
I had the same problem, but it started when I gas-grenaded a pack of mutons led by a berserker. The only person who could see them was in concealment, so everything just froze... I had to reboot XCom 2 in order to fix it.
The aliens would just stand around until their turn timed out. I got a flawless 13/13 civilians rescued terror mission out of it though, so that was nice?
Ha. I got to smack around the spoiler that popped out the codex a bit, and then play a game of "taunt the sectopod". I kept expecting them to like, do something though, so that threw me off my taunting game. I kept thinking "it would really suck for the Sectopod to stop its inner meditation right when I'm being an idiot".

Even the little "ALIEN RELAY YOU NEED TO DESTROY" wouldn't explode after killing it, and just continued to spin around minding its own business.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: February 13, 2016, 11:37:12 pm »

Having the dark events reworked into a system of gradual alien progression would be pretty cool, yeah. Kind of like Long War. Where over time the aliens gradually get stronger, and it's up to you to keep that progression as slow as possible.
But I think some way to handle multiple cards at once would help with the feature. It'd reward players that're doing really well by having temporary little to none progression for the month. But still be hard enough that alien progression is inevitable.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: February 13, 2016, 11:39:51 pm »

I shot an out of sight pod with a rocket once (used support scan to spot).  Nothing happened.  They took damage, but they didn't trigger, so when I encountered them later they got a run forward move.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: February 13, 2016, 11:42:49 pm »

Having the dark events reworked into a system of gradual alien progression would be pretty cool, yeah. Kind of like Long War. Where over time the aliens gradually get stronger, and it's up to you to keep that progression as slow as possible.
But I think some way to handle multiple cards at once would help with the feature. It'd reward players that're doing really well by having temporary little to none progression for the month. But still be hard enough that alien progression is inevitable.
Dark Event: New alien unit.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: February 13, 2016, 11:48:28 pm »

Well, the advent troops already progress in level; that could easily be tied to an event.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: February 14, 2016, 12:19:09 am »

Depending on how moddable the game is getting rid of the doom counter completely and reorganizing the way the aliens progress would be interesting for a long war mod, make it more akin to what the player does.

The whole "alien player" thing they hyped up really fell flat.  It just feels like you get random events and a timer ticks upward.  There's no sense of alien agency.  But having an alien player research and deploy new assets, give them an actual research tree to win the game akin to yours, and you could have something interesting.

Like the AI notices you're bringing two sharpshooters every game and researches the invisible tentacle fuckers to hunt them down.  Diversify facilities into different functions, maybe tying them to dark events in addition to research.  So each "forge" facility gives the aliens an increase to avatar project research speed and they can also use them to activate advent dark events like armor and viper rounds.  The player can destroy them to disable the bonuses.

And so on.
Shoes...

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: February 14, 2016, 12:36:31 am »

I just played the final mission.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, during a UFO mission, I realized that shadowstrike works when your soldier is ouside an enemy's line of sight, and not just from concealment. I've had a couple situations now where the sword was actually preferable to the shotgun, since you can dash from outside their LOS and slash them with good accuracy and crit chance.
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 469