Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724813 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Welcome Back, Commander.
« Reply #4800 on: February 13, 2016, 03:26:13 am »

Speaking of getting rekt, two Faceless on that Retaliation mission. I was very lucky to not have triggered them until after everyone else was gone. The shaken grenadier who got a panic-crit on a Muton killed another Muton during the fight, and I discovered that the ADVENT officer Marking targets counts as an attack and triggers Return Fire. And everyone who survived got promotions, which was, surprisingly, everyone but that highly unlucky Ranger.

I seem to be hemorraging Rangers lately. Lost another one earlier to a very, very inconveniently timed Shock Lancer and very bad team positioning, during a VIP capture mission. She was covering the team with overwatch fire as reinforcements moved in, two turns before the timer ran out (I had to deal with a Codex on that mission). Other Ranger - the one I recently lost - carries the VIP off to evac, rest of the team lines up behind a car ready to dash into evac as well. Enemy turn, officer runs up to the car because they can't see my team from where they are, misses the shot, stands in the way. Shock lancer one runs up to the car, misses the stab, adds to path blockage. Shock lancer two runs up to the cover the ranger is sitting behind, eats the reaction fire, and stuns her unconscious. One turn left to evac, she's too far to be carried to it in one turn thanks to path blockage, only one of my team who can reach evac and fire is a Sharpshooter and he can't do much. Ended up having to evac and leave her to be captured.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: February 13, 2016, 03:30:54 am »

Got my graphics card and have lost most of this week's free time to killing ayys (and savescumming like a bitch) on Veteran. It's a lot of fun generally. There's a few bugs that get on my nerves (burrowing chryssalids breakin' mah save files) and a few mechanics that you have to try out to learn, but otherwise it's great.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: February 13, 2016, 04:20:08 am »

Am I the only one who mixes up veteran and commander?  I've been playing on commander but I've told some people that I'm playing on veteran...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: February 13, 2016, 06:27:36 am »

Does anyone else feel that the game has a pacing problem?

It starts fine and you feel like you are progresssing, encountering new cool enemies and so forth. Then you suddenly get plasma weapons and power armor, there are suddenly gatekeepers on every mission and nothing left to research. Instead of a steady progress and development, you just suddenly jump to the maximum level. After that I just sort of grinded the game to an end, I didn't really feel it had anything interesting to give me anymore.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: February 13, 2016, 06:47:42 am »

It starts fine and you feel like you are progresssing, encountering new cool enemies and so forth. Then you suddenly get plasma weapons and power armor, there are suddenly gatekeepers on every mission and nothing left to research. Instead of a steady progress and development, you just suddenly jump to the maximum level. After that I just sort of grinded the game to an end, I didn't really feel it had anything interesting to give me anymore.

No I think you are pretty right.

Heck the start of the game feels drastically different from where you got mag weapons and actual armor.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: February 13, 2016, 07:25:05 am »

Yeah, it moves much too fast, especially on lower difficulties. That's why I started difficulty and length modding before I even finished my first campaign.

Incidentally, you can get multiple landed UFO missions in one campaign. I just got my second after close to an ingame-year of play.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: February 13, 2016, 07:56:01 am »

In my unmodded veteran playthrough I had 3 or 4 landed UFOs.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: February 13, 2016, 09:04:07 am »

Well, that's me done.  That final mission was an endurance test, had to quit twice when the graphics went berserk on me as the Surface was pushed beyond the limit.  Don't think I can play again until I get a more capable machine.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: February 13, 2016, 09:43:05 am »

I want a mod, or an addon, that takes place after the ending of XCOM2, but...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: February 13, 2016, 04:07:27 pm »

I'm only kind of sorry for more spoiler-stuff on the same topic.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: February 13, 2016, 05:32:38 pm »

I have a rather game-breaking bug going on, but a rather, unusual one.

The aliens don't move anymore. At all. Under any circumstance. Not on their turn, not when their pod is revealed, not even when I break concealment for the first time. I tried an overwatch ambush, only for it to be useless because "standing perfectly still, minding their own business" isn't enough to set it off. It started on the previous mission (a downed UFO), but I hoped that it would only last for a single mission. Nope. I feel like I'm beating up children now. Even attacking the Sectopod feels like a violation. (Although I did skulljack a codex, and the thing that popped out had so much dodge it managed to survive for a while despite me apparently turning off the aliens.

It started when I ran a Heavy MEC full force at the enemy and micro-missiled itself. I think that's it. I get VERY weird bugs whenever I do that. Once all the animations stopped and the game wouldn't continue, and this time, well, this happened.

Fortunately it wasn't Ironman, so I can still deal with this in any case.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: February 13, 2016, 06:32:20 pm »

OH LORD.
These operation names XD

I can chose between operation VENGEFUL VENGEANCE or operation NIGHT STANK right now. The lol is real.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: February 13, 2016, 07:05:10 pm »

Soloman and his team just can't balance lategame in their games.  Xcom gets too many incremental upgrades and it just adds up to the player entering godmode.  I mean let's look at one aspect of a soldier, their aim.  You get an aim boost for mag weapons, and then for plasma weapons.  Every single promotion gives an aim boost.  You can mount a scope for an aim boost.  Tracer ammo and holo-targetting boost aim even further.  And that's not even counting the elevation and distance bonuses.  Everything in the game works like that.  There are like 4 different grenade launcher upgrades and once you have them all you barely need guns any more.

What they really need to do next time is divide their game in half, so the earlygame and the lategame can be balanced separately.  Something like "you can't get the next tier of weapons till the alien base.  The next tier of weapons is vastly higher damage then before, but also has significantly lower aim."  And like the first half of the game is mostly ADVENT or weak aliens and then once you attack the base (or equivalent story milestone) its mostly strong aliens, but if you don't attack the alien base the game starts adding in strong aliens to the first half as a soft time limit.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: February 13, 2016, 07:11:28 pm »

Now that I'm full plasma even when I bring rookies in I usually see 90% or more accuracy rate.

Also snipers are pretty much exactly the same as they were in EU, maybe worse.  Snipers never die, they rarely even take damage, and as a result they get way overleveled and gobble up all the experience.  I've got three colonel snipers now, two of whom were in my original roster on day 1, and any one of them will usually get half the kills in a given mission.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: February 13, 2016, 07:21:42 pm »

Now that I'm full plasma even when I bring rookies in I usually see 90% or more accuracy rate.

Also snipers are pretty much exactly the same as they were in EU, maybe worse.  Snipers never die, they rarely even take damage, and as a result they get way overleveled and gobble up all the experience.  I've got three colonel snipers now, two of whom were in my original roster on day 1, and any one of them will usually get half the kills in a given mission.
Snipers are super strong right now simply because there aren't any invis tentacle monsters to molest them this time. So yeah, just like EU. So they just chill no big deal at spawn and blow everyone to pieces. Give them armor piercing and everything dies. Then you combine kill zone with superior ammo.... holeee fuuuckkkk.

They don't even need armor either. Just give them the grappling hook and they're gravy.

----

I've stopped playing until more mods and dlc come out. I did the same thing with XCOM: EU as well. It's always nice to enjoy the game more when there's more fleshed out shit. Like hopefully giant robots with rocket fists.

Besides, I've already proven I'm a superior human by being one of the first in the world to beat it on legendary ironman MWAHAHAHAHAHA *cough*.
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 469