Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724424 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Enemy Known
« Reply #480 on: June 02, 2015, 06:56:18 pm »

I love how the previous game's cyberdiscs never raised any complaints, but reptile mammaries are so unrealistic.  Or the part where the floater's jetpack was clearly burning large amounts of fuel and expelling it out the back yet there's no place the floater could have logically stored said fuel.  Or just... everything about how the seeker was built.  We all accepted "alien tech is magic" for those things, I don't see why "alien gene therapy is magic" is different.

I mean hell, EWs entire concept of gene therapy is just blatantly not how genes work.  Changing someone's genetic code doesn't physically change their bodies.  I mean it might make them infertile or give them cancer.  But anyway, it fundamentally makes no sense and yet everyone was OK with it.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 02, 2015, 07:00:50 pm »

I love how the previous game's cyberdiscs never raised any complaints, but reptile mammaries are so unrealistic.  Or the part where the floater's jetpack was clearly burning large amounts of fuel and expelling it out the back yet there's no place the floater could have logically stored said fuel.  Or just... everything about how the seeker was built.  We all accepted "alien tech is magic" for those things, I don't see why "alien gene therapy is magic" is different.
That's because the previous game's cyberdiscs, floaters, and seekers didn't have boobs.  :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 02, 2015, 07:04:49 pm »

Yeah, everyone knows boobs aren't realistic! I certainly haven't seen many lately...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 02, 2015, 07:14:23 pm »

Snake tits....

This must be the point in a thread's lifespan where there's nothing new to talk about :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 02, 2015, 07:18:56 pm »

Let's discuss theories of the "secret" 5th class mentioned in the trailer?

My theory: Androids.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 02, 2015, 07:21:38 pm »

It could be MECs.  Lamest reveal ever, but it would make sense.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 02, 2015, 07:21:52 pm »

Psionic operatives.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 02, 2015, 07:23:52 pm »

I'm holding out for rebellious hybrids.  That would be the best answer.

Or maybe some kind of parkour class, that would be pretty cool too.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 02, 2015, 07:27:11 pm »

Snake tits....

This must be the point in a thread's lifespan where there's nothing new to talk about :P
As the great philosopher Plato said:
"boobies"
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 02, 2015, 07:30:57 pm »

It could be MECs.  Lamest reveal ever, but it would make sense.
MECS BEST
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE MEC
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 02, 2015, 07:44:17 pm »

how would they explain not having all the awesome tech? I mean you'd still presumably have access to all the old research and stuff.

Its really not that hard.

aw, shit.  and now I've read the article.  how lame is that?  hype deflating.

Apoc had a great story, I was hoping for something similar.  New threat, and all that.

Oh well.  Hopefully the mods will make the basic gameplay fun enough that I can ignore the plot.  I mostly get into games for the stories these days though, so I might actually pass on this one if it keeps looking as dumb as this.

Same here.... Hype level dropping rapidly.

On the plus side, at least now we have a plausible reason for why we're fighting off an alien invasion with like 4 guys instead of the whole army. Stronger aliens also fit better, I never really liked that super advanced space aliens apparently attacked by sending in waves of fodder that ordinary humans with crappy weapons still managed to kill at a better then 1:1 ratio (especially in nucom where soldiers died even less than in the original)

So I don't know. It's not a total hype-train derail but I'm seriously considering disembarking at the next stop.

Let's discuss theories of the "secret" 5th class mentioned in the trailer?

My theory: Androids.

It's probably going to be some kind of psionic class, possibly gene mod related.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 07:47:17 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 02, 2015, 07:54:23 pm »

I agree about the number of soldiers. Even if XCOM was only "elites", it should still have thousands of soldiers, not less than a hundred. And more than 6 soldiers to a mission or multiple missions at once, because really? 1 Skyranger? I don't think XCOM's that broke. At least by the Firestorms and such come out.

Now, they have an excuse. They don't have enough guys to commit a bunch to a single mission.

Now that I think of it, it would be awesome if on a few missions that really are all or nothing, like base defenses, you had access to all your soldiers, and the aliens have scaled up numbers to compensate. It would be an awesome story too. You would naturally gravitate towards the old standbys, so they'd be more likely to die, and then you're also introduced to your rookies who get a chance at badassery and promotion.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Pajama Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Easy to Please
    • View Profile
    • Pajama Knight's Blog
« Reply #492 on: June 02, 2015, 08:09:27 pm »

They kind of did that with the reboot. You'd have a selection of soldiers that were at home during base defense, along with a few random security guards. Throughout the mission you'd get more backup, and so would the aliens. Cool thing was that the security guards would become operatives if they gained enough experience in the fight. It was my favorite moment in the game.

I don't see it working out if you controlled everyone though. It would just take too long. Maybe a multi-stage mission where several different teams strove towards different objectives simultaneously (IE, one team is a distraction, another is stealing an artifact and the third is disabling the defenses around the artifact), but beyond that I can't imagine how long it would take to command twenty or so soldiers to slowly whittle down an even larger force.

The hints towards covert ops leans in favor of smaller teams, too. It's easier for six individuals to strike and then disappear in a city than a small army.
Providing an opinion on things in desperate need of an opinion since 1989.

Pajama Knight's Blog - Videos, Games, and Musings

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 02, 2015, 08:21:15 pm »

A multi-stage mission where you send multiple teams to accomplish an objective would be interesting. A base defense mission could be you having access to all soldiers to form a team for each layers of defense, where they can whittle down the invading aliens before retreating until the aliens either reach the final checkpoint where the final team have to deal with them or you're fucked, or the more preferable alternative where they are killed before they can do too much damage.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 02, 2015, 08:25:36 pm »

Maybe they could use bigger maps, and combine a pair or a trio or whatever of operatives into one "fire and maneuver team" that moves as a unit, and group the aliens into similar groups. You could replace a fire and maneuver team with a mech trooper, vehicle, or weapon team, and match up individuals with a partner/squad that they synergize well with.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 469