Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724447 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Enemy Known
« Reply #435 on: June 02, 2015, 02:11:26 pm »

X-com: TftD was pretty lame in terms of plot 'now they're underwater!' and an alternative universe is probably the only way it would have made sense. You'd have either had that or a Witcher style 'xcom forgot how to do everything!' thing.
You know what did make sense? ApoCom. Remember all that laser weaponry? We have kids mugging strangers with it. All that alien-experimentation? Grey is the the new Black. Your magical flying bricks running on a Martian mineral? There's now a bi-weekly shuttle service to Mars for everyone who wants to mine it. For a paycheck.
You're not special anymore- yes, you won the Secret War, yes we're all so grateful. Now, stop living in the past and get some jobs already!
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 02, 2015, 02:13:14 pm »

The Thin Men autopsy implies pretty heavily that they are reptiles twisted into human form. I guess they just... shed their skin.
And got absolutely ripped. Going from gangly tall albino to huge muscular snake can't be a trivial thing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 02, 2015, 02:14:22 pm »

They also managed to grow a lovely pair of mammaries for... their snake babies I guess?

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 02, 2015, 02:16:01 pm »

The Thin Men autopsy implies pretty heavily that they are reptiles twisted into human form. I guess they just... shed their skin.
And got absolutely ripped. Going from gangly tall albino to huge muscular snake can't be a trivial thing.
They tried making the thinman more terrifying, but the results were so horrifying that it was scrapped to keep the maturity rating down.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 02, 2015, 02:17:47 pm »

Maybe the thinmen were men and the vipers are the women?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 02, 2015, 02:18:53 pm »

how would they explain not having all the awesome tech? I mean you'd still presumably have access to all the old research and stuff.

Its really not that hard.

aw, shit.  and now I've read the article.  how lame is that?  hype deflating.

Apoc had a great story, I was hoping for something similar.  New threat, and all that.

Oh well.  Hopefully the mods will make the basic gameplay fun enough that I can ignore the plot.  I mostly get into games for the stories these days though, so I might actually pass on this one if it keeps looking as dumb as this.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 02, 2015, 02:19:42 pm »

Albino? They had black hair. And green, snakelike eyes. That's pretty much the opposite of albino.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 02, 2015, 02:20:19 pm »

Perhaps its the same species in the same sense that the monstrous sectoids are the same species as sectoids.  Same general DNA, combined with humans.  Not literally the same beings.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 02, 2015, 02:38:30 pm »

Albino? They had black hair. And green, snakelike eyes. That's pretty much the opposite of albino.
It sounds less racist than just describing them as being really pale.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 02, 2015, 02:42:18 pm »

...being white isn't racist, you know.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 02, 2015, 02:42:39 pm »

how would they explain not having all the awesome tech? I mean you'd still presumably have access to all the old research and stuff.

Its really not that hard.

aw, shit.  and now I've read the article.  how lame is that?  hype deflating.

Apoc had a great story, I was hoping for something similar.  New threat, and all that.

Oh well.  Hopefully the mods will make the basic gameplay fun enough that I can ignore the plot.  I mostly get into games for the stories these days though, so I might actually pass on this one if it keeps looking as dumb as this.
Depends on how moddable the game is. If it is very moddable, someone could make something like a sequel to EW.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 02, 2015, 02:58:40 pm »

The article mentions them as "this is how Thin Men look without their human skinsuits".

Not sure about reliability.
Love, scriver~

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 02, 2015, 03:19:05 pm »

women just trapped in mens bodies!  Snake women trapped in.. agent smith skins..

I'm having a hard time figuring out which is more offensive. The mammaries, or the pelvises.  Why make it feminine at all?  Just to turn the snakeman thing on its head?  Why not mutettes? Oh.. maybe I spoke too soon.

Do committees make these decisions?  Does it happen around a conference table with powerpoint slides?  Or is it top-down?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 02, 2015, 03:35:45 pm »

The article mentions them as "this is how Thin Men look without their human skinsuits".

Not sure about reliability.

I think those comments are IGN's, so probably not too reliable.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 02, 2015, 03:36:57 pm »

women just trapped in mens bodies!  Snake women trapped in.. agent smith skins..

I'm having a hard time figuring out which is more offensive. The mammaries, or the pelvises.  Why make it feminine at all?  Just to turn the snakeman thing on its head?  Why not mutettes? Oh.. maybe I spoke too soon.

Do committees make these decisions?  Does it happen around a conference table with powerpoint slides?  Or is it top-down?
Maybe it was to make them weird on purpose? Maybe one of the concept artists has a snake fetish?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 469