Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724484 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Enemy Known
« Reply #420 on: June 02, 2015, 12:55:54 pm »

Ok so X-Com lost and didn't research any new weapons or armor... YET they managed to capture and repurpouse an entire alien supply barge into a base ship.

It seems kinda ass forwards to me.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 02, 2015, 01:02:28 pm »

I read implication that the ship capture is a more recent thing; makes sense that it'd be an extremely risky mission that was pulled off to give XCOM a fighting chance.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 02, 2015, 01:06:54 pm »

I read implication that the ship capture is a more recent thing; makes sense that it'd be an extremely risky mission that was pulled off to give XCOM a fighting chance.

Yeah I mean, it's probably also the major plot reason why they're not instantly wiped out by the aliens/why the aliens can't find them.

I'm really a lot happier with alternate universe than a cobbled together 'you won!!...but then you lost!!!!!' scenario. I mean how would they explain not having all the awesome tech? I mean you'd still presumably have access to all the old research and stuff.

However, I hope that they change things significantly enough that we're not going over all the same research and whatever again.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 02, 2015, 01:08:12 pm »

Ok so X-Com lost and didn't research any new weapons or armor... YET they managed to capture and repurpouse an entire alien supply barge into a base ship.

The way I saw this is XCOM HQ was killed off, and one of the side bases that was taking apart a captured supply barge kept on, and due to someone hording (I say Vallen) next to no tech was shared from the main base. This could also explain why you wont be starting with 10 mechs, with gear, or those 20 genemoded psyonic badasses.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: HYPE WITHIN
« Reply #424 on: June 02, 2015, 01:12:13 pm »

Give me my terror missions Firaxis. Let me taste the other side. I want to make the alien AI cry.
pls
P L S
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: HYPE WITHIN
« Reply #425 on: June 02, 2015, 01:13:39 pm »

Holy shit this looks like it's going to be awesome!  DON'T FUCK IT UP!
Isn't that the exact same thing they said for EUcom?

Yeah, and in my opinion they didn't fuck it up; they delivered a good game, albiet not as good as it could have been.  I am hoping this achieves it's full potential.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 02, 2015, 01:15:17 pm »

Ever played through Operation Slingshot on Marathon? You basically do exactly that.

I did that with conventional weapons and basic armor - yes, with vets, but still.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 02, 2015, 01:21:12 pm »

I thought that, but after reading the latest interview I kinda agreed with them. X-com: TftD was pretty lame in terms of plot 'now they're underwater!' and an alternative universe is probably the only way it would have made sense. You'd have either had that or a Witcher style 'xcom forgot how to do everything!' thing.
I would have accepted the "we've been fighting an underground war with no support for twenty years, the last plasma cannons and titan suits broke down for good months ago"

The one good thing I did get out of this interview is the way they're treating human enemies vs. alien enemies. If they're serious about the latter being intentionally designed for hyper-lethality it would add an interesting tactical consideration.

But after swatting down the plot of EW I'm gonna be real disappointed if the old cast is erased too.
I'm a little disappointed that this apparently a "bad end", it seems like the plot could have worked with the previous game's plot.  Soloman apparently is incapable of both creating and maintaining endings.  Poor guy.  I think EW is still canon,  or at least all the EW stuff did exist for the first few months of the war and then the plots diverged when Xcom went underground.

One thing the interview implied is that the game might spawn aliens that your team can't practically kill, so you should just loot everything, complete the secondary objective and get out.  So that could be fun.  It would also be pretty cool if it started out with you facing ADVENT and whenever an actual alien shows up its an "oh shit" moment.  And then later all the enemies are aliens.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 02, 2015, 01:35:06 pm »

how would they explain not having all the awesome tech? I mean you'd still presumably have access to all the old research and stuff.

Its really not that hard.  What did XCom have?  A roster potentially 100 men deep?  Six interceptors on each continent?

That isnt even the fighting power of a single aircraft carrier. 

It's probably not enough equipment to (for example) win a land war on the Crimean peninsula.

If the aliens came in force, they'd be hosed. 

If they had to fight a terrestrial government, they'd be hosed.

What if the aliens came not with one terror ship to attack a city, but with an entire battle group?  Imagine what that would look like.  Not UFOs running from interceptors while they are plinked away, but alien fighters running CAP and capital ships leveling any serious defenses while transports disgorge legions of top tier troops.

And thats before the chrysalids come out of the oceans.  And jungles.  And cow pastures.

If the aliens *wanted* to win, they could just flip the "i win" switch and it would be over.  What is *difficult* is coming up with contrived reasons that XCom and humanity at large can continue to hold them off.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 02, 2015, 01:40:17 pm »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 02, 2015, 01:58:20 pm »

Obviously independence day happened.  The nuclear option did not work.

XCom is a small elite force, barely sufficiently equipped* to combat the alien threat.  XCom is not a full blown army.  Though, some armies may have tried to resist...

*(Top of the line human ballistic and explosive weaponry.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 02, 2015, 02:04:52 pm »

i have never played newcom and only played oldcom (in the form of openxcom) until the first alien bases started popping up, but this sounds really cool.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 02, 2015, 02:06:31 pm »

Double post, but there's an interview out. Highlights include class summaries, movement waypoints, spreading fire, and more. Here.
Thin Men are Snakemen. Confirmed confirmed confirmed.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 02, 2015, 02:07:52 pm »

They said this in Xcom: The remake.

Well, they said that they have reptilian eyes...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 02, 2015, 02:10:58 pm »

They said this in Xcom: The remake.

Well, they said that they have reptilian eyes...

The Thin Men autopsy implies pretty heavily that they are reptiles twisted into human form. I guess they just... shed their skin.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 469