Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724251 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: 180 Hours Until Unification Day
« Reply #3480 on: January 28, 2016, 11:09:28 am »

Maybe one where you don't sacrifice your troops to stupid decisions?
I hope.  It might be nifty if your tutorial mission happened to be actually stealing the Avenger - infiltration, hacking, and so forth - but I think that happened concurrently with or before the Commander came back.
Before. oldShen is mentioned in a trailer to have worked the rest of his life to bring Avenger to its current state, which is 'enough alien junk laying around it requires excavation before we can build', then newShen took that over.

If anything, Commander retrieval might be the tutorial.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: January 28, 2016, 11:18:44 am »

Maybe one where you don't sacrifice your troops to stupid decisions?
I hope.  It might be nifty if your tutorial mission happened to be actually stealing the Avenger - infiltration, hacking, and so forth - but I think that happened concurrently with or before the Commander came back.
Before. oldShen is mentioned in a trailer to have worked the rest of his life to bring Avenger to its current state, which is 'enough alien junk laying around it requires excavation before we can build', then newShen took that over.

That seems mildly difficult from a story standpoint, given that you are the commander, but at the same time if it's like EU's tutorial and Bradford calls the shots, it might make sense. It *is* the one pre-commander mission where we know XCOM performs well.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: January 28, 2016, 11:24:00 am »

ARGH. I have two midterms on the fifth! There goes the plan for a release day marathon.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: January 28, 2016, 11:24:58 am »

ARGH. I have two midterms on the fifth! There goes the plan for a release day marathon.
All my exams end on Thursday. I have the entire next week to not give a fuck.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: 215 Hours Until Unification Day
« Reply #3484 on: January 28, 2016, 11:42:22 am »

I mean for the time period... global information sharing didn't really exist in any form.

Well ignoring that for Xcom to exist that information needed to be given to them anyhow. I understand, it allows me to believe that maybe an entire town was killed and that could be covered up.

Though if you add up the side story it starts to seem less like a secret invasion and more like an all out war.
Rephrase-Permanent global information sharing didn't exist.   Radios did, but unless you're listening in right now you aren't gonna catch it a few hours from now.  For example The War of the Worlds was originally broadcast over live radio and a very large number of people thought it was really happening and not just a radio story,  though trying to prove it's real is the same as me walking up to someone and saying. 'hey dude, I saw a zombie the other day.'
As did TV and newspapers. Bureau takes place in the early 60s, not the 30s like the War of the Worlds broadcast you mentioned.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: January 28, 2016, 12:20:39 pm »

Radios did, but unless you're listening in right now you aren't gonna catch it a few hours from now.  For example The War of the Worlds was originally broadcast over live radio and a very large number of people thought it was really happening and not just a radio story,

Ohh that? That was a myth. A very proliferated myth mind you.

As for proof... given the sheer death toll, widespread destruction, insurance claims that would need to be made, oversight departments that would have had to be involved, eye witnesses all over the place, outright victims suffering from shell shock, several branches of the military known.

I guess going "It was the Commies! they sent an army" is somewhat of a cover up. Though that is going to make the cold war kind of interesting.

A Plane crashed near Area 52 and even today people think it was aliens.

---

But I guess people can think it is aliens so long as the majority of people just think it was communist insurgents.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 12:29:39 pm by Neonivek »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: January 28, 2016, 12:53:03 pm »

The cold war was just aliens, wake up sheeple.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: January 28, 2016, 01:27:03 pm »

Thats exactly what the tutorial is, seeing a few censored playtrough * by censored i mean anything related directly to story advancement etc to prevent spoilers*, they clearly said they couldnt show the first or was it first few mission? i dont remember, but they did slip out something about showing how they *rescued* us, the commander.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: January 28, 2016, 01:30:19 pm »

Why even rescue us if we are so dang incompetent? :P

Though I have a feeling they are going to make an excuse for our loss rather then saying "well who could have honestly succeeded?"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: January 28, 2016, 02:21:52 pm »

Pretty sure it's already canon that the world governments sold XCOM out early in the invasion as far as nuCOM 2 is concerned.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: January 28, 2016, 02:23:38 pm »

livestream of devs playing it right now:

http://www.twitch.tv/firaxisgames

(now concluded but video is up)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 03:07:22 pm by ZeroGravitas »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: January 28, 2016, 02:50:36 pm »

Really?  I've heard the original broadcast and they start breaking in later to clarify it's a reading.

Also gunswords
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: January 28, 2016, 03:31:27 pm »

Really?  I've heard the original broadcast and they start breaking in later to clarify it's a reading.

Also gunswords
That was planned all along to let people know what they were listening to. It's completey normal for radio programs to do that. They did eventually get taken down by the police though.

Also to say its a myth isn't completely true. Some people took it seriously and there was a lot of media attention on it the day after, but the stories about it just exaggerated the reaction.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 03:34:01 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: January 28, 2016, 03:33:15 pm »

I plan to slowly and gently shove my machete up every single Chrysalids arse i find. Seriously, fuck Chrysalids. Those things are the spawn of Mother Nature and the freakin Devil.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: January 28, 2016, 04:12:15 pm »

Has there been any news on pre-loading?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 469