Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724217 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: 215 Hours Until Unification Day
« Reply #3465 on: January 27, 2016, 05:12:40 pm »

I mean for the time period... global information sharing didn't really exist in any form.  Provided you seized and destroyed cameras and the like of areas that the aliens attacked in, all you'd have is a few people who 'claimed' to have seen/been attacked by aliens and then probably abducted by the government to cover up everything else.

It's sorta like all the pictures of 'big foot'  are totally discredited because most of em are proven hoaxs.  Any sort of alien documentation save an actual specimen would be pretty easily discredited from that time period.

So yeah, I think the Bureau is cannon but I also believe that even in the Bureau everyone involved was discharged and told to never speak of it on pain of death.  So probably does rule out that any sort of preparation was really made for the start of newCom
Nom nom nom

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: January 27, 2016, 05:39:15 pm »

It might be that Bureau is canon, but it's broad-strokes canon. Aliens attacked in the Sixties, an agency to become proto-XCOM responded, some polite gentlemen with a rather monochromatic taste in suits discussed with the witness a string of fatal accidents happening to people whose memory was persistent in believing in some alien invasion, the whole affair was covered up, but the details are off.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: January 27, 2016, 05:53:24 pm »

It might be that Bureau is canon, but it's broad-strokes canon. Aliens attacked in the Sixties, an agency to become proto-XCOM responded, some polite gentlemen with a rather monochromatic taste in suits discussed with the witness a string of fatal accidents happening to people whose memory was persistent in believing in some alien invasion, the whole affair was covered up, but the details are off.

I think so too. There is just too much to cover up in the game for it to have possibly been covered up as neatly as it was.

Especially since the information needed to leak to every major nation in the world and every world leader.

But if you ignore ALL the side stuff and focus on only the main story... it works to an extent. SURE you have an entire city destroyed by aliens though, but I'd believe that over the mass destruction and panic that was created through the entire campaign.

I mean for the time period... global information sharing didn't really exist in any form.

Well ignoring that for Xcom to exist that information needed to be given to them anyhow. I understand, it allows me to believe that maybe an entire town was killed and that could be covered up.

Though if you add up the side story it starts to seem less like a secret invasion and more like an all out war.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 05:58:35 pm by Neonivek »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: January 27, 2016, 06:11:16 pm »

So I just gave The Bureau a shot, 50 minutes worth apparently.  Still in the intro, but I think about at the end.

It seems interesting.  It plays very much like Mass Effect 1 (I didn't play 2 or 3).  You go into a tactical mode and issue orders, and your squad members have various unique abilities.  Also, the dialogue is literally a circular selector.  Though so far (intro) the options have been just optional questions, plus a clearly demarked way-to-progress.

Shooting sectoids in the head is incredibly satisfying.  Like, wow, all these years of oldCOM and newCOM paid off just a little when I got to line up a shot and freakin hit.  (Enforcer didn't have that at all, it was super arcadey).

The 50's aesthetic is pretty cool, too.  I think I watched two seasons of Mad Men before I finally accepted that it had nothing at all to do with private detective stories.  In this, areas of interest are marked "Investigate".  Well done devs, you hit the mark.

It's pretty crazy.  Like, the first soldier you randomly meet, can turn fucking invisible because he's an "infiltrator" or whatever.  Then you recruit an engineer, who can summon a LASER turret from the ether.  I don't even know what this third character can do yet.  Based on her intro, probably snipe (through cover or something).
Main character smokes gravel, but what else is new.  And it works better in the 50's setting.

In summary, I'm really not far in it, but it seems pretty decent.  I'm excited at the chance to shoot aliens from cover, and so far this is a decent medium for doing so.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: January 27, 2016, 06:41:26 pm »

What is funny is that the game probably would have been WAY better received had it been announced after Firaxis' version.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: January 27, 2016, 07:20:52 pm »

Sadly yeah. It's interesting, but I think it would have turned out better if they'd just let it be a Bioshock clone.

That said, I believe it was plagued with problems in general, not just shrieking hordes of XCOM fans demanding the blood of the false prophet.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: January 27, 2016, 07:21:59 pm »

Yeah, the fact that it wasn't working is why it ended up with the Xcom label in the first place.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

YaW

• Bay Watcher
  • CremaGames
    • View Profile
    • CremaGames
« Reply #3472 on: January 28, 2016, 06:01:30 am »

So, can I play XCOM 2 without having played Enemy Unknown? I mean storywise. I read that it's kind of a fresh start in new circumstances.

I left EU 10 hours in because my computer broke and couldn't get back to it immediately, so I felt kind of lazy to replay it from start after a month.
Yeah, it's alt universe.
Play it without issue.
Or more accurately, it's the sequel to getting a game over three missions in or so. Not much actual story happened.

Awesome, thanks. That's one of the best starting points for a sequel I've seen in a long time.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: January 28, 2016, 06:08:24 am »

So, can I play XCOM 2 without having played Enemy Unknown? I mean storywise. I read that it's kind of a fresh start in new circumstances.

I left EU 10 hours in because my computer broke and couldn't get back to it immediately, so I felt kind of lazy to replay it from start after a month.
Yeah, it's alt universe.
Play it without issue.
Or more accurately, it's the sequel to getting a game over three missions in or so. Not much actual story happened.

Awesome, thanks. That's one of the best starting points for a sequel I've seen in a long time.
That said, you may as well get Enemy Unknown for a dollar in the current Humble Bundle.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: January 28, 2016, 09:11:20 am »

Yeah, EU, while not my favorite X-Com game, is still fun, and compared to the oldcom games, fairly quick to play through. And even if you don't mind losing out story-wise, a lot of the mechanics in XCOM2 seem to be pumped up from XCOM 1... You might be able to jump in fine, but without some experience, you might struggle for a while until you figure the basics out. Definitely a trial by fire. OTOH, they may include a decent tutorial which will handhold you through a mission or two. I dunno.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: January 28, 2016, 10:21:43 am »

Sadly yeah. It's interesting, but I think it would have turned out better if they'd just let it be a Bioshock clone.

That said, I believe it was plagued with problems in general, not just shrieking hordes of XCOM fans demanding the blood of the false prophet.
yeah the first time I played the game I think maybe...  5ish levels barely loaded?  And the last never loaded at all.

I mean for the time period... global information sharing didn't really exist in any form.

Well ignoring that for Xcom to exist that information needed to be given to them anyhow. I understand, it allows me to believe that maybe an entire town was killed and that could be covered up.

Though if you add up the side story it starts to seem less like a secret invasion and more like an all out war.
Rephrase-Permanent global information sharing didn't exist.   Radios did, but unless you're listening in right now you aren't gonna catch it a few hours from now.  For example The War of the Worlds was originally broadcast over live radio and a very large number of people thought it was really happening and not just a radio story,  though trying to prove it's real is the same as me walking up to someone and saying. 'hey dude, I saw a zombie the other day.'

Yeah, EU, while not my favorite X-Com game, is still fun, and compared to the oldcom games, fairly quick to play through. And even if you don't mind losing out story-wise, a lot of the mechanics in XCOM2 seem to be pumped up from XCOM 1... You might be able to jump in fine, but without some experience, you might struggle for a while until you figure the basics out. Definitely a trial by fire. OTOH, they may include a decent tutorial which will handhold you through a mission or two. I dunno.
it also looks a lot more player friendly now, since you can see what enemies you have vision on from a given tile before you move.   One of the harder things in newCom is really trying to figure out 'Do I see him, and do I flank him?'
Nom nom nom

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: 180 Hours Until Unification Day
« Reply #3476 on: January 28, 2016, 10:47:33 am »

I see the New hours have updated.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Out Now!
« Reply #3477 on: January 28, 2016, 10:55:31 am »

Pretty sure they're gonna include a decent tutorial. Or at least a tutorial no worse than what we have now.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: January 28, 2016, 10:58:13 am »

Maybe one where you don't sacrifice your troops to stupid decisions?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: January 28, 2016, 11:00:34 am »

Maybe one where you don't sacrifice your troops to stupid decisions?
I hope.  It might be nifty if your tutorial mission happened to be actually stealing the Avenger - infiltration, hacking, and so forth - but I think that happened concurrently with or before the Commander came back. 
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 469