Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724325 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Shareware is just a demo/taster. It doesn't pretend to be a full game.
Tell that to 10 year old MarcAFK  :(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

There's also a particular stigma against paid content being included on the disc itself which completely baffles me, unfortunately.  No amount of juicy pickles has helped me understand the objection.
To clarify on the on-disc DLC, people don't like it because it is literally ready before release. Now, for cosmetic stuff it doesn't really matter (art teams tend to be idle during the later stages of development, so might as well put them to work), but for actual gameplay content there is no excuse. Sometimes, it is even worse like in pre-DA:I bioware games, specifically Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3, that had full companions and storylines relevant to the overall plot of the game done before release yet locked behind an additional fee.

To use a less pickly analogy, games with (not cosmetic) day 1 DLC is like you buying a painting... except you can't see a section of it unless you pay extra or bought it before it was even ready (and when you barely knew what it'd look like).

The painting is of snektits, of course, since we have to remain relevant to the overall topic of XCOM2.

FAKEEDIT: shareware stuff also used to have said demo/teaser levels be free.
So it's more a problem with Day 1 DLC in general than literally on-disc, right?  I was thinking that was likely the case.

And with the mention of snektits I have been banished from the thread :P
(I really shouldn't be here, I'm so hype for the game but I'm avoiding watching the gameplay videos...  Thanks all for having a wonderfully civil DLC discussion with me)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

So it's more a problem with Day 1 DLC in general than literally on-disc, right?  I was thinking that was likely the case.
Don't know if you are going to see this or not but they used to be pretty much the same. I have no idea if they still do on-disc stuff since it has been years since I last bought a game disc.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Shareware is just a demo/taster. It doesn't pretend to be a full game.
Tell that to 10 year old MarcAFK  :(
K. Gimme a sec (or negative a few hundred millions).

I think people have a particular problem with on-disc DLC because they're literally giving it to you, then telling you that you can't use it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Yeah that's true, perceptions are important when selling.  Even if it's fair, it needs to feel fair.
Though is there actual day 1 p2w dlc in XCOM2?  I thought the new class was but that's wrong, right, it's getting developed later?  (Which I guess feels better to people)
The only day-1 DLC is cosmetic. The rest are slated for Summer 2016, IIRC.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Why are we talking theoretical when the actual info is on the store page?

Bolster your ranks with three themed DLC packs available together for an amazing discounted value*. Each themed content pack will add unique new twists to the core game experience:

ANARCHY’S CHILDREN is a rebellion themed DLC featuring more dramatic soldier customizations. (To be released in Spring 2016)
    ALIEN HUNTERS introduces new soldier customizations and gameplay themed around XCOM as an elite alien hunting unit. Face off against “Ruler” aliens with new, more powerful weapons and armor. Experience a new dramatic mission & confrontation. (To be released in Summer 2016)
    SHEN’S LAST GIFT introduces a new soldier class with unique upgradeable weapons, armor and customization features, and a new narrative-driven mission and map. (To be released in Summer 2016)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/426321/

That verbage makes it sound like even the first one isn't day one.  If someone's heard otherwise, I'd love to see a link stating such.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile

As best I understand it though, people feel that it's wrong for a company to intentionally "gimp" their product and then sell you the missing pieces.  Because the "real" price becomes $60+DLC, yet they misleadingly market the game as still being $60.

Personally I don't see that as morally wrong.  Maybe misleading to uninformed consumers, but it allows greater choice.  Potentially exceeding a $60 price point isn't morally wrong.  Something to consider when making a purchasing decision, though?  Absolutely!!
I'd probably be less mad about it if I wasn't so sure that so much of that extra money is going to the CEOs and producing company, who oftentimes are actively detrimental to the development process, or if it didn't just feel like they were fleecing me for more cash.  I mean, $60 is a non-trivial amount of money, you know?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Why are we talking theoretical when the actual info is on the store page?

Bolster your ranks with three themed DLC packs available together for an amazing discounted value*. Each themed content pack will add unique new twists to the core game experience:

ANARCHY’S CHILDREN is a rebellion themed DLC featuring more dramatic soldier customizations. (To be released in Spring 2016)
    ALIEN HUNTERS introduces new soldier customizations and gameplay themed around XCOM as an elite alien hunting unit. Face off against “Ruler” aliens with new, more powerful weapons and armor. Experience a new dramatic mission & confrontation. (To be released in Summer 2016)
    SHEN’S LAST GIFT introduces a new soldier class with unique upgradeable weapons, armor and customization features, and a new narrative-driven mission and map. (To be released in Summer 2016)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/426321/

That verbage makes it sound like even the first one isn't day one.  If someone's heard otherwise, I'd love to see a link stating such.

Pre Purchase Now and Receive:

RESISTANCE WARRIOR PACK

Customize your squad of resistance fighters with bonus outfits, headgear, and custom facial war paint. Instantly unlock a survivor of the old war as a recruit in your barracks.

3. Run Resize Enable

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Well, yes, you can BUY it day one.  But do you GET anything day one?  Clearly you don't get the second two, but February 6th isn't spring.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

I think that was referencing the Pre-Order bonus. Which is not the same as DLC and again seems pretty much cosmetic. Unless that soldier is high ranking, although it's also possible that they just have old-school XCOM armor on and are still rookies.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile

Paid DLC Expansion Pack Exclusive Early Access On Disk Unlockables, preorder now!

Just wanted to say, nice title. I just have to read the thread title once in a while to know what's happening in the XCOM front.  :P
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well i said it before.
People like being paid up front.

Just look at star citizen!
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I think that was referencing the Pre-Order bonus. Which is not the same as DLC and again seems pretty much cosmetic. Unless that soldier is high ranking, although it's also possible that they just have old-school XCOM armor on and are still rookies.
Eh? It's additional content which must be downloaded in addition to the base game and is only available under certain circumstances (in this case preordering rather than shelling out more dosh--still a financial risk, but of a different sort). That's DLC in my book. If it was released a month later for $3 or whatever everyone would call it DLC.

3. Run Resize Enable

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

No arguments that the two are very closely related. They're just not quite the same thing due to how you get them.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It does sound like pay-to-win though. :V

For $20 more than the base $60:
> Face off against “Ruler” aliens with new, more powerful weapons and armor.
> new soldier class with unique upgradeable weapons, armor and customization features

OP pre-order bonuses and shit like that just seem to make games boring anyways.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 469