Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 725740 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: YOU CAN'T TAKE THAT THING, GET OUT NOW!
« Reply #1590 on: June 23, 2015, 11:02:05 am »

Also, "aliens that reflect real cultures and wildlife."

Does he know these are space aliens, and not, like, mexicans? Not that mexicans reflect wildlife or anything.

Or does he want every alien to be like the Bulrathi (bear-people), Mrrshan (cat-people), Alkari (bird-people), etc, in the Master of Orion series?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 11:04:20 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1591 on: June 23, 2015, 11:23:24 am »

Maybe he wants the aliens to have some sort of underlying culture. But not realizing that most of the aliens you see are either robots or were decanted from cloning vats and programmed as soldiers.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: June 23, 2015, 12:28:39 pm »

Does he know these are space aliens, and not, like, mexicans? Not that mexicans reflect wildlife or anything.
If the aliens aren't Mexicans then why do they always take Mexico at the start of the game?!?

(Ok, I apologize to anyone here who lives in Mexico, that was horribly wrong and more than a touch racist, but I couldn't change the country to any other due to the need to link it to a previous post.)

Honestly you know what I'm looking forward to the most in this next game? The ability to change the gender of my troops when I customize them. Combine that with the ability to give people eyepatches, and I can finally roleplay the entire game as Odin and the forces of Norse Mythology coming back to lay beatdown the aliens. Make everyone into that melee class and just roll with it! :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: June 23, 2015, 12:53:52 pm »

I think he's just annoyed that no matter where one of your troops is from, they respond using American idioms, with only three voices for each gender, all American but slightly higher or lower than the others (at least in the version I have, they're probably all Italian in the Italian localization of the game.) They also mix terms that are associated with different branches of the military together. To be honest, I was also a bit annoyed by that as well, not so much that I'd want to mod it out.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1594 on: June 23, 2015, 12:59:56 pm »

I think he's just annoyed that no matter where one of your troops is from, they respond using American idioms, with only three voices for each gender, all American but slightly higher or lower than the others (at least in the version I have, they're probably all Italian in the Italian localization of the game.) They also mix terms that are associated with different branches of the military together. To be honest, I was also a bit annoyed by that as well, not so much that I'd want to mod it out.
The expansion added quite a few voiceovers in native languages.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: June 23, 2015, 01:00:46 pm »

Yeah, and then the Long War mod added several more on top of that. (And it's not going to be in XCOM 2 either, so that's good).
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: June 23, 2015, 01:13:34 pm »

Yeah, the voices could have been better, but they were at least spoken well enough to be understood and some were still phrases that might still be said in most languages. For example, one of my French soldiers once yelled "Tu es dégoûtant!" At an alien. From my knowledge of French, (even looked it up in a French dictionary to be sure) that literally stranslated as "You (sing.) are disgusting!" which would be insulting in any language.*

*well, maybe not a really nice sounding language that you don't know
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: June 23, 2015, 01:19:42 pm »

I love that line when one of the French voices throw a grenade. I have no idea what he says, but it sounds pretty cool.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: June 23, 2015, 02:48:41 pm »

Well with all of Command speaking English (or *insert your game language here*), it seems logical that they'd translate what the soldiers are saying. You could suppose they have some translating device, or the Commander just speaks every language, but instantly translates it to *Your language here*. The expansion just disables that.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: June 23, 2015, 02:58:47 pm »

Hell, not even. It really makes the most sense to have them all speaking one language. (not including the accent issue)
Think about it. They're one team; one elite strike force. They shouldn't be bothering parsing every different language spoken by every individual; that's bad teamwork. They should be speaking one language to promote efficiency.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: June 23, 2015, 03:01:32 pm »

I want a edutainment game, i am sick, and i feel disgusted when i look at the 400 hours i spent on Xcom when i could have been sorting my life out. Games shouldn't be fucking macdonalds.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: June 23, 2015, 03:10:18 pm »

Wow.

Goddammit. I'll leave you alone now.
Reading a thinner book

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: June 23, 2015, 03:10:59 pm »

I want a edutainment game, i am sick, and i feel disgusted when i look at the 400 hours i spent on Xcom when i could have been sorting my life out. Games shouldn't be fucking macdonalds.
Protip - If you feel so strongly about it, don't play it in the future. There are plenty of edutainment games out there that you are welcome to play, but XCOM isn't and probably will never be one of them, and posting in derogatory ways about the sole reason for this thread isn't exactly winning you any points here. Additionally: Posting while drunk/high is never a good idea, nor is posting in a way that makes other people think that you are currently drunk/high. I highly suggest that you go take a nap and come back when your head is a little more clear. :)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: June 23, 2015, 03:24:16 pm »

Is it that unlikely it could be modded in useful ways? Heavens, Assassins Creed has tooltips on architecture. It's got a squad of multinationals and takes place all over the world. How hard would it be to have a pyramid mission which taught you something about the Pharaohs, or have a reasonably accurate map of the night sky as the background of interceptor missions? Play about a little with languages.

I apologise for insulting your judgement. All my experiences have always ended up like this, and I don't wish it on anyone. I just don't want to stress my way through this discussion.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 03:40:49 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 469