Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 725983 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: HYPE WITHIN
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2015, 12:59:21 pm »

TWO DAY HYPE COUNTDOWN!
I am suddenly much more reluctant to get hype.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2015, 01:22:30 pm »

Well, it seems like our mystery hackers have been doing more then just hacking, and are launching rescue missions.  See bottom right corner in the missing persons list.
Wait, look beneath that at the very bottom.
TWO DAY HYPE COUNTDOWN!

HYPE DRIVE INITIALIZED

BWEOOOOOO
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2015, 01:32:10 pm »

A part of me wants to believe (r) that this is somehow a countdown to actual game launch instead of proper announcement
I-I mean, it couldn't possibly.  But maybe if I believe really really hard it'll be slightly less untrue.

Though actually hell, I'm even hyped for an announcement if it means getting more details (on how this is implementing Apocalypse features please please please)
Also I hope they have an optional mode for cinematic pot shots like in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFdwgtW91-k
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2015, 02:07:13 pm »

Its been like, what, 2 years since Enemy Within?  So probably not a countdown to release, but... theoretically possible.

Edit: I mean, that would be a really ballsy marketing strategy.  Say nothing for over a year, make cryptic online marketing campaign, then game release out of the blue.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 02:11:04 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2015, 02:09:11 pm »

Eight pages already? Speedy thread go fast.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2015, 02:12:47 pm »

Diarrhea posting :D
Love, scriver~

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2015, 02:13:13 pm »

Eight pages already? Speedy thread go fast.
non, only 3 pages.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2015, 02:25:34 pm »

5, actually.
Without any more info to discuss, we resort to shitposting, and by god is it shitty.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2015, 02:45:48 pm »

Edit: I mean, that would be a really ballsy marketing strategy.  Say nothing for over a year, make cryptic online marketing campaign, then game release out of the blue.
It would also be a horrible one. :P A vast majority of video-game revenue comes from release day sales, which depend a lot on making the game known prior to it actually being released. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2015, 02:46:41 pm »

I mean how often do "ballsy" and "effective" intersect?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2015, 02:49:01 pm »

I mean how often do "ballsy" and "effective" intersect?
If we're talking military maneuvers or business transactions, quite often! If we're talking entertainment releases then only, very, very rarely. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2015, 03:13:09 pm »

Looks like the June 1 announcement date mentioned in that unsourced article may actually be true.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2015, 03:45:12 pm »

1: Looks like Andrew Matecki is being carried by someone in an underground hallway, maybe an XCOM base? Or an Underground Railroad kind of situation, that'd be cool.
2: G E T H YPE
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2015, 05:00:04 pm »

Features I'd like?

More maps and a map editor. Maybe even with maps being made up of pre-made blocks (ala, old xcom) so that there's some variation on even "samey" maps and mission types. This goes double for the multiplayer experience. Half the tenseness in Xcom comes from not knowing everything in a given level (until you've scouted it). With completely pre-made maps, many multiplayer battles come down to set-piece opening moves and hoping like hell the pseudo-rng likes you. With variation comes a stronger emphasis on safety, redundancy and flexible tactics.

More weapons and options, for soldiers and attack craft.

Multiple bases, even if they were just interceptor bases. It gives a more strategic feel to it being a world-wide war. Preferably full bases though.

More death in general, which means more aliens and more soldier deaths. You and your bowling team probably aren't going to save the earth alone. Perhaps even just reports of casualties around the world with actual ingame effects, not just budget or nation flipping. NewXcom feels to oldXcom what Dawn of War 2 did to DoW1. It just lost a lot of the scale, scope and feel, but neither game was actually that "big" in its numbers. Both were good games though.

A good modding back-end. A moddable game tends to be a buyable game. You know that you'll be getting more than your money's worth from it eventually, and can even get creative yourself. As long as the basic product is good, fun and not left to modders to fix up (they're additions to a good game, not free coding to fix a bad one).

Unfortunately I can't see us getting all these things, especially with Xcom2 potentially being city based. Fortunately openXcom has them all, and in buckets with the Final mod-pack. And it has attack dogs. Potentially attack dogs with grenades of all sorts. That can open doors and savage aliens. So for now it wins.

Until they can do better than that, no hype from me :(

@Lightningfalcon. Of course they got a laser pistol. You'd research that before motion detectors so you could get your rifles, and they were semi-profitable. I'd always chuck two spares on the skyranger and leave another 10 or so at base. Why? Because I'd often forget to leave any actual weapons at base other than some grenades and those pistols. Fortunately, they were sometimes all you'd need. Those pistols were the real heart and soul of Xcom, passed down from one grunt generation to the next as honored heirlooms, celebrating their horrible role in life.
Also, you can pre-prime grenades in openXcom now. DO NOT do that on a scout. They will inconveniently explode the moment they walk out the door and get shot. Handy with smoke, lethal with everything else. Anyway, back on topic, I suppose......
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 06:34:39 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2015, 05:28:07 pm »

More soldier deaths? I'd be up for that if the power escalation of experienced troops - and the effort of getting them - wasn't so ridiculous. Losing one colonel is a setback for the entire campaign.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 469