Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: New 32 px tileset in the making  (Read 56762 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: New tileset in the making... 24 or 32 px?
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2015, 06:43:32 am »

Oh, well it's obvious now:P We're not all ninjawizards like you and Japa, mifki, with your hackery and such.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2015, 07:10:03 am »

PTW, this is amazing!  I absolutely love the style and think 32px is a good choice, FWIW.  The architectural styles in the Lord of the Rings trilogy were wonderful, and I'm very excited to see a tileset inspired by them.

@Japa:  good, good.  Let the power of the dark side flow, and updates with it  :P
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2015, 08:31:57 am »

P.S. See different background behind some of the furniture? It's not a glitch, it just a floor that hasn't been smoothed. You can't smooth/engrave if there's a building already, but we never noticed this because we didn't see. Now you'll need to make sure you do all that before placing buildings.

But... I can. I totally can, did just now as a test and always have been able to. Anything that you can walk on, chairs, tables, beds, doors, you name it, don't stop smoothing or engraving from happening underneath them. And they don't go away if you remove the furniture, either.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2015, 08:35:31 am »

P.S. See different background behind some of the furniture? It's not a glitch, it just a floor that hasn't been smoothed. You can't smooth/engrave if there's a building already, but we never noticed this because we didn't see. Now you'll need to make sure you do all that before placing buildings.

But... I can. I totally can, did just now as a test and always have been able to. Anything that you can walk on, chairs, tables, beds, doors, you name it, don't stop smoothing or engraving from happening underneath them. And they don't go away if you remove the furniture, either.

Strange.. I think I tried too and it didn't work. And more interesting, how did I get the floor exactly under those statues, tables and chairs unsmoothed?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2015, 08:42:15 am »

You're the wizard, I don't know! The looK-cursor tells the truth, did they really transform in the game's view?

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
  • ... taken by a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2015, 06:07:57 pm »

Been out of home almost all day so just now I've been able to do and upload the workshops.

I've made a graphical, more descriptive version of the actual workshops. With that I mean that ,although is a complete workshop, is made of tiles you can mix and match. I wasn't sure if that's what you want or you were referring to a "96x96 image of the workshop" that is placed as a whole wether or not the content respect the tile limits inside the 3x3 grid. I guess you want the "tiled" version but...

I'm not sure I'm explaining myself very well, man it's times like this I'd like to speak better english   :'(

Anyway, I've made two versions, with and without it's own "floor" that marks the workshop. And I've tried to respect the impassable tiles marked on the wiki (it's more evident in the butcher than the smelter). Didn't want to overcrowd the tiles with things so it's more or less clear at a glance.Those aren't final versions, of course. I could add more bits and pieces and polish it a bit but I think it's good enoug for a test?

Spoiler: Workshops NO floor (click to show/hide)

P.S.- I know, I know, I've added some color but... couldn't help myself, I was enjoying it too much, that butchered greenskin and all those guts...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 07:19:54 pm by Dibujor »

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2015, 06:16:48 pm »

And just for fun, an image of how they look with the "oblique" walls  ;D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2015, 06:48:37 pm »

That's cool shit, man, there's been a huge dry spell of artists doing 1920x1080 or larger friendly stuff, now we've got two of you!

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2015, 07:38:40 pm »

Oh they're excellent! I'll post screenshots soon.

Actually, I'm not sure which version I like more. On the one hand, I wanted transparent buildings. On the other, when you build a workshop IRL, you probably make a proper floor first for entire area, so it makes sense to have floor for workshops, I'm afraid all these details will be lost when drawn over varied background.

However maybe it should be a players' responsibility - if they want better look, they should care about smoothing the floor themselves.

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2015, 07:58:57 pm »

Yeah, I know, I'll have to do proper ones respecting the limitations of what we have available, grey tiles that can be colored. Which means, only the actual "furniture" needed for the workshop, so no "live" furnace, no water, no meat and no blood  :'(

Haha, but for the test I just wanted to play a bit with the graphics  ;D

Eager to see those screenshots.

[Edit because you edited your post] Oh, I thought you were talking about the colored details and such. Turns out you were talking about the floors, right?. Hmmm, well the floors for the workshops should appear no matter what if you include those floors inside the tiles that contain the furniture shouldn't they?

That's cool shit, man, there's been a huge dry spell of artists doing 1920x1080 or larger friendly stuff, now we've got two of you!

Well, thanks :)

There are amazing artists in the forums but I can see why they feel their knees trembling with the perspective of doing (again) thousands of tiles now that twbt make it a viable option.

I just started to make tiles for DF as a personal project for me, but I'm just glad you seem to like what is coming out. And to be honest, a bit surprised that the tiles are shaping kinda not as bad as I imagined they would.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 08:03:11 pm by Dibujor »

sic8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2015, 08:01:37 pm »

This looks great guys!

Personally I find those large floor tiles on the workshops a little jarring when they meet the south side wall. Breaks the isometric illusion imho. Maybe smaller pavers would work better? Ones that don't have a seam on the edge?

Loving where DF art is going right now!

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2015, 08:01:51 pm »

Yeah, one idea I've been experimenting with for GemSet is putting a little floor under the entire workshop. It requires changing the ASCII tiles of hardcoded workshops (which isn't possible yet) but it helps differenciate workshops that are right next to each other. I hope you don't mind an edit, Dibujor...

Ah ha ha...Excuse the flat colors here. I've never worked with noise before so I wasn't sure how to get my art to fit with your style. You get the basic idea, though.

Heh, and the best part is that we're working in wiiildly different art styles so the players are gonna get more choice in the end. As you can see, I was kind of struggling to fit into Dibujor's style. ^^;
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 08:05:09 pm by DragonDePlatino »

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2015, 08:09:16 pm »

Actually... that looks pretty cool. I don't know if a cobblestone floor is my cup of tea but I like the example. I thought of something similar at first, smaller tiles (as in floor tiles) with a border of some kind around the perimeter of the entire workshop. But I was in a hurry to upload the examples so I made it the easy way, ginormous tiles :D

And no, I don't mind the edits at all. Edit as much as you want :D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 08:13:38 pm by Dibujor »

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2015, 08:46:19 pm »

Are these options to see how buildings could be implemented? If so, I think #2 or #3 looks best. Unlike weapons/furniture, you don't need different colors to tell workshops apart. You can color the entire building white and drawn buildings will be WYSIWYG. Again, user-friendliness is really important here and I wouldn't want the game colorize a workshop when I can do that in an image editor.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 08:49:15 pm by DragonDePlatino »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12