Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Funniest Fortress Moments  (Read 14012 times)

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Funniest Fortress Moments
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2011, 05:35:08 am »

- Once saw a goblin get hit by a dwarf so hard that it flew 10-20 tiles away and landed on a tree 1 z-level below. Had to chop down the tree to access its stuff.

- OH, and this one time I gave a bottomless chasm a bottom, i.e. constructed a floor to cover it, as low as possible. The floor included a 1x1 tile hatch connected to a lever. I then filled the chasm with water. This was all supposed to be a big swimming school but I wasn't aware that dorfs couldn't cross z-levels by swimming... Anyway, several drownings later I used the hatch which essentially acted as a giant bathtub plug. Pulled the lever and that DAMN PIT WAS DRAINED IN SECONDS while it took hours to fill. All that water through a 1x1 hole. In seconds. I learned so much that day.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 06:32:40 am by albatross »

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2011, 06:30:26 am »

A minotaur once got hold of a dog and threw him pretty much half across my embark to the other side of the valley where he collided with a slope and exploded.

edit; I also once had my fortress guard completely dismember a kobold thief. Guy lost his left foot, right lower arm, right lower leg, left arm and his left lower leg. In that order and in a span of only a few seconds.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 06:32:19 am by Sandrew »

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2011, 06:53:59 am »

Bladiblubdwarf, baby, has died: hit an obstacle.<P>THE MINUTE IS WAS BORN.<P>"Let's give birth above this nice pit now, shall we?"

I had this happen three times. Except instead of a fall, the poor bastards met water in their first moments of life. And final moments.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2011, 07:26:12 am »

Your Dwarfs  seemingly haven't grasped the concept of underwater birth entirely yet, then.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2011, 10:38:46 am »

Once, while testing my Playable Goblin Mod, I was told that one of my goblins had instantly frozen to death as soon as I started.<P>Zooming to him, I found a corpse surrounded by a large cloud of "boiling leather".<P>To this day I have no idea why.
I blame spontaneous combustion.<P>Though that does not explain why it said he froze.
Probably, the leather had no boiling point, thus it defaulted to 0. Naturally, this lead to the "leather" instantly boiling into a cloud of gas with a temperature far below absolute 0. EDIT: Oops, someone beat me to it. Still, be careful when modding.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 10:50:55 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2011, 12:16:12 pm »

Legendary necromancy at work here!
This thread started in the 2d version, right?

Anyways, I had a funny moment lately when I forgot to make the doors to the danger room pet-unpassable, and one of my legendary swordsdwarves lost 3 pets. Very funny moments ensued.
He's doing serious time in prison now hehe. It's a miracle he didn't go berserk, but only tantrumed.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 12:20:24 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2011, 12:26:01 pm »

Yeah, pet unpassable doors don't really do much; the pet just waits outside until someone goes through the door, and then they make a mad dash for the nearest spear.

ch00beh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2011, 12:39:05 pm »

I had three no-pet-pass doors to my danger room. I took out one because the same amount of pets still got in regardless.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2011, 01:39:20 pm »

a baby fought off a wild crundle on his own.
and i mean literaly punched it so it ran away.

thats one dorf child that im going to take care of and put in the millatery one day.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2011, 04:25:27 pm »

doesnt die

EDIT:how do i post a picture lol
EDIT2:never mind
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 04:52:28 pm by noob »
LOSING IS FUN!

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2011, 05:31:21 pm »

I've had a couple of entertaining moments in my current fort, the first being when the first dwarven traders showed up. There was a little herd of mountain goats loitering near the depot, around the same time that the merchants were approaching, any my dwarves were starting to get stuff to take to the depot. The three parties meet, and chaos breaks out. The goats scare my dwarves, who drop their items and run off. The merchants guards start chasing the goats around and butchering the few they can catch, and then a kobold thief comes out of nowhere, carrying MY TRADITIONAL GIANT OLM BONE IDOL, and promptly gets torn to pieces by a couple of dogs.<P>Things settled down pretty quickly, but I found it highly amusing.<P>Also, in winter, while digging an ice-shaft to the bottom of the lake to access the sand, my mason trapped himself by boarding up one of the stairways with a floor tile. Though I suppose that was my fault. I managed to dig him out before the thaw, thankfully.
That deserves a comic I think.

My own example:
Crundle golf.  Hammerdwarves just teeing off on a pack of wild crundles like a bunch of old men golfing.  I swear a crundle ended up on a hill 3 z-levels up and 100 squares away from the Dwarf that was credited for it's killing.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

arcangelsd

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-builder of the STFO
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2011, 05:48:01 pm »

Well... My current fortress is giving me a lot of those moments.
I remember  when, making a waterfall to fill an underground pond from a brook, one mason decided it would be cool to stay  in the tube where the water was going to flow. Predictable result, he falls 3z-levels and get badly injured. But then he decides to do the most logic thing: start drinking water, standing below the waterfall, while he is being surrounded slowly with 6-7 water. Awesome.
From this same waterfall, I turn it on (after rage-savescumming), and then.. SIEGE! I forget completely and closewatched my militia fighting them, until an ogre gets to my living quarters, which, to my surprise, are in 1-2 water. the damn waterfall. It got more hilarious when, after finishing that ogre, i looked in the pond, only to see three civilians drowning, and a LOT of water passing through the ¿sealed? doors.
And, speaking about my militia, my current best soldiers all share a strange love for slowly dismembering their opponents, until they're only torsos with heads.. and then leaving them for dying of blood loss. Seriously, they just stand there for several "cliks" until they die, just staring at them...pretty funny when you get ambushed and several moments later the only things that are left are several quadruple amputees goblins just somehow crawling to their salvation
Did we just made reality itself commit suicide?
I think that sentence describes all of Failcannon.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2011, 05:53:50 pm »

Yeah, pet unpassable doors don't really do much; the pet just waits outside until someone goes through the door,
Ah, how I love it when DF inadvertently models real life.

(That reminds me, I must create a workshop to turn unusable slivers of soap into a full bar.)
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2011, 06:22:38 pm »

The snatcher chose the wrong target this time "no way you are taking me, bitch!"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2011, 07:38:43 pm »

I sent my mason to build me a wall in my tunnels, and he walled himself out onto a level 3 cavern.
suddenly, tons of mineral discoveries, and ADAMANTITE!
If he had a corpse to recover (he walked into 2 forgotten beasts) I would give him a golden coffin submerged in alcohol.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5