Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFHack Mood Possibility Tester?  (Read 897 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
DFHack Mood Possibility Tester?
« on: May 28, 2015, 02:09:31 pm »

I'm a vanilla player who knows about but strongly dislikes the "forcemood" tool. I am, however, not always sure if I am eligible for strange moods, due to complex requirements, and they are one of my favourite parts of the game.

This is probably a stupid question, but, after a bit of searching, I'm still wondering, is there a tool on DFhack that lets you find out whether a mood could occur at your fort or not? And if not, might somebody ever make one?
One wheel short of a wagon

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack Mood Possibility Tester?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 03:14:08 pm »

As to the Q, you could always save, use the mood tool (but not "force"), and see if it thinks you're eligible. If yes, kill the game (do NOT "save and exit"!), and reload the save and go on about your business.

I am, however, not always sure if I am eligible for strange moods, due to complex requirements...
Yeah, you're either over-thinking the details, or just see "math involved" and start backing away slowly.

The requirements are pretty simple -
  • 20 dwarves that are not "babies" or active military.
  • No current (or very recent?) mood
  • Active fort (i.e. "making stuff & mining stone")
That's about it. The last is a given unless you're trying some experimental run and your dwarfs are just sitting around producing nothing, and/or just mining out soil.

Also, used to be, once you had a mood, there was a countdown that starts before the next (with the % staying at 0% for a short while, then slowly growing), so more than 1 every...mmm... couple seasons or so was rare (prev versions - that min frequency may have changed, or been removed???).

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Strange_mood#Conditions

If you want the specific details, yeah, that can be a bit more of a headache - but unless you're doing something odd, once you have 20 (non-child/ non-active military) dwarves it's actually really hard to NOT qualify.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 03:28:29 pm »

Thanks, this clears up everything, especially as I though forcemood would force an artifact whatever.

Case closed! Thanks Albedo  :D
One wheel short of a wagon

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 09:23:40 pm »

Also, used to be, once you had a mood, there was a countdown that starts before the next (with the % staying at 0% for a short while, then slowly growing), so more than 1 every...mmm... couple seasons or so was rare (prev versions - that min frequency may have changed, or been removed???).

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Strange_mood#Conditions

What you're thinking of is described in the "Frequency" section immediately above, and that still works the same way today as it did 8 years ago - a 3-month cooldown between moods, and a flat 1/500 chance for a mood to strike every 1/12th of a day (every second when running at 100fps).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:25:48 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 03:30:13 pm »

Cool, thx for that confirmation.

I remembered "every couple seasons", but it's "every couple months" - about a 3-month cooldown period followed by ~about~ a 50% chance* for a mood every month after that.

(* A 1 in 500 chance, 12x/dwarf day. Multiply this out, the odds of getting a hit in 30 days is ~52%.)