Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should we proceed?

End Litany, start a Brand New Version!
- 10 (40%)
Pretend nothing had happened. Continue on as normal.
- 3 (12%)
Timeskip sleep to Modern Times!
- 11 (44%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 166

Author Topic: Litany of the Void: A God Game (24/⊕∵↯) (OOC)  (Read 252678 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Litany of the Void: A God Game (24/⊕∵↯) (OOC)
« Reply #2190 on: August 13, 2015, 08:46:47 am »

Wait since when did you have to be perfect ton be worshiped?

Zeus sure as hell wasn't perfect. He just was.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: August 13, 2015, 09:48:14 am »

Don't suppose you guys want to start getting Essence together?
I mean, this makes, like, all the spheres but utter destruction of everything happy.  Creation, change, growth, magic, science, any gods predicated upon their species...Uh.  Well, most spheres focused on making stuff.
Probably some other spheres I'm not thinking of, because the actual construction will merit things like binding, any AI complex enough to actually ADMINISTER this would need a soul...Yeah, lots and lots of spheres.
I would, but I have on the order of about jack shit for essence, no actual pressing _need_ for such a planet, and lots of other things I want and/or feel I need to do with my essence first. If you're willing to wait, oh, five to ten ticks for it to be complete, then i could help make the seed and it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to make overall, but other than that, I'm not really willing to contribute that much when I have my own projects to work on.

Speaking of which, is Izgamlo still playing? I hope?

I'm in the same situation, I need to create a new species or two (or three, I just remembered another one), maybe a moon and the steam engine with Dgetga. I suppose I could delay a few projects, but I'd still need at least two ticks.

"We are not just hooking up the actual brain to the machine, we are literally downloading the conscious of a mortal, and we are gods after all, it would be easy to just, ya' know, replace the mind every time it goes insane, or just give it lots of entertainment."
But wouldn't that be brain uploading? I'm pretty sure that's the proper term.

... Wait, did I come too late? where is everyone?

Actually, in automation, uploading programs to PLCs is called downloading. Don't quite know why, maybe because it stems from a time where you initiated the download from the PLC.
Oh, and that's not just terminology, the very software, manuals, and such call it that as well.
Uploading is when you take data out of the PLC. It doesn't quite make sense when you're initiating it from the computer that downloads the data.

Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) are little boxy computers (you can easily find the size by image search), they're used for controlling industrial machinery.
We don't use very high tech computers there because of reliability.
Besides, even at it's rather low-tech, a single PLC can control a lot of industrial equipment.
--
Anyway, I'm still rather confused as to why Skolld is receiving so much essence, considering he's the worst god ever.
He doesn't even try to paint himself as the very definition of good, since in order to be worshiped, you have to be perfect.
The others, while occasionally admitting wrongdoing, still paint themselves as good guys.

You clearly know more than I do about that, so I guess you're right.

And you need to work harder if you really want to have a bad reputation, even I can't see your god as a bad one, you always give away stuff and give minor disadvantages to people in exchange but that only seems to be a character quirk instead of malice.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: August 13, 2015, 11:01:59 am »

Well, I don't know a whole lot about the PLCs, I only know the outside parts and how to set them up (program). Thing is, it's simpler to change a program than a bunch of relays.
I've never gone to school regarding the inner workings, so if even a single resistor breaks, I'll have to replace the entire PLC, since I don't know how to fail-check them.

But the whole upload/download thing only really works if we're talking old tech. As the PLCs are rather archaic.
Basically, you talked Fallout, so I just figured we might as well do some old fashioned terminology. Nothing really important.
--
As for the reputation, Skolld has pretty much cursed people with a lot of things, but isn't doing anything to keep his reputation good.
Yet somehow he's better than gods who do try to paint themselves as the good guys.

Not to mention, how does the gods view him?
Since he's pretty openly tormenting people for his own gain.
Sure no one is perfect, but there's a difference between the good and the bad.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: August 13, 2015, 11:22:36 am »

Well, I don't know a whole lot about the PLCs, I only know the outside parts and how to set them up (program). Thing is, it's simpler to change a program than a bunch of relays.
I've never gone to school regarding the inner workings, so if even a single resistor breaks, I'll have to replace the entire PLC, since I don't know how to fail-check them.

But the whole upload/download thing only really works if we're talking old tech. As the PLCs are rather archaic.
Basically, you talked Fallout, so I just figured we might as well do some old fashioned terminology. Nothing really important.
--
As for the reputation, Skolld has pretty much cursed people with a lot of things, but isn't doing anything to keep his reputation good.
Yet somehow he's better than gods who do try to paint themselves as the good guys.

To put it simply, fear/respect is just as good a motivation for worship as being "good" is. If you look at a list of Gods from almost any given polytheism, along with the myths, a good amount are horrible people who get away with it because they are gods. The only real "Perfect" gods come along with Monotheism, and not-having-competition. The Greek/Romans, the Egyptians, the Aztec, the Akkadians....and a lot of other ancient people's myths are more tragedy than comedy.

Then the fact that you did create a race, who are hardwired to follow you out of gratitude if nothing else, and that a God has been Sealed, helping significantly to increase your influence.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Litany of the Void: A God Game (24/???) (OOC)
« Reply #2194 on: August 13, 2015, 11:34:18 am »

Hey! I would like to have a price check on project mechus, remember that we have around five or six gods helping.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: August 13, 2015, 11:37:00 am »

--

Li/uthus sees him as a overall good guy giving mixed blessings to people, kinda like some sort of genie, or maybe a djinn? A lot of the good impression comes from when skolld helped some war refugees to escape. He also don't think the disadvantages of his "curses" outweigh the advantages they give most of the time. He'd like it if he wasn't so unwilling to cooperate though, as he thinks they could potentially work well together in some projects.

As for the brain download/upload/whatever, I was more referring to the general concept from science fiction works instead of a more specific example. I'd think the fallout universe wouldn't be technologically advanced to do this kind of thing safely and reliably, at least not enough for my tastes. You were talking about that AI president(?) in fallout 3, right? Wasn't he insane or something? I haven't played enough to reach him.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: August 13, 2015, 11:44:45 am »

Nope, in a certain vault in fallout (either 1, 2, tactics, or BOS?) there is a vault with a brain that is hooked up to a computer, it then goes insane and attempts to take over the wasteland with a robot army.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: August 13, 2015, 11:48:04 am »

Nope, in a certain vault in fallout (either 1, 2, tactics, or BOS?) there is a vault with a brain that is hooked up to a computer, it then goes insane and attempts to take over the wasteland with a robot army.

I guess that confirms what I thought anyways. I'd rather base it on a successful attempt that didn't result in madness.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: August 13, 2015, 11:48:12 am »

Hey! I would like to have a price check on project mechus, remember that we have around five or six gods helping.

I guess this is important enough to skip the others  :-\.

Which one? There was like five completely different planet plans outlined. In any case, you are looking at 100+ essence, counting all of everything.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: August 13, 2015, 11:53:22 am »

Everything! It will be the most hodge podged robot planet EVER!!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: August 13, 2015, 12:04:37 pm »

I
Need
A
List

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: August 13, 2015, 12:26:40 pm »

Eden was an enclave ZAX, but without a brain, in other words, an AI.
Calculator from Vault 0 was a ZAX with 8 brains, but they had decayed over time to make it mad and try to exterminate mankind.
It's from Fallout Tactics.
--
But Skolld helped the refugees when he gained something from it, also, Skolld has never made a race.
Sure, he made some creatures (Maag-Wolves, Cursed Wolves, Elemental Beasts, and Blood Silk), but they're derivative, and therefore not his own.
Not to mention, he never really told them that he made them.

Also, how would the people view him? Do they even know he exists? Skolld isn't very public, and whenever he is, he tells people he's a bad guy.
Not to mention, the exclusion of gods could easily include Skolld for his egotistical tendencies.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: August 13, 2015, 12:28:07 pm »

There are several things recording divine history for mortals to read. Anything you do in public, the mortals eventually learn about.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: August 13, 2015, 12:34:07 pm »

There are several things recording divine history for mortals to read. Anything you do in public, the mortals eventually learn about.
Including that the most useful resource in dealing with gods, is one of the hardest to obtain?
Blood Silk binds power, but it raises the bodies it attaches to, and gains sapience, and tries to defend itself.
Skolld made zombies.

Edit: It's actually modified Sand Cotton, as it's yet to be named, but I call it Blood Silk from time to time.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 12:36:11 pm by Happy Demon »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: August 13, 2015, 01:04:23 pm »

I
Need
A
List
Use mine, it's in the IC.

Edit: Found it.
"In the same vein, if a different level of practicality, some sort of massive surface solar power installations would be a good idea.  As for the speciation of layers, that is a very good idea, but if we can lay an enchantment on the planet to make all residents able to successfully cohabitate...Give me a moment, I need to draft more detailed plans."
You know I'm serious when I break out bullet points.
Requirements:
  • Self-sustaining
  • Automatic Maintenance
  • Not dependent upon magic, despite any utilization of.
  • Not dependent upon unattained technology levels, despite any utilization of.
  • Modular: Loss of any one section should not jeopardize other sections.
  • Habitable for all residents.
  • Even in a magic outage, all spaces should be traversable for all residents.
  • Reasonable access mechanism-will not suffer problems that require godly intervention to sort out, merely a suitable technician or repair 'bot.
  • Pantheon-neutral (yeah right, I'm sure that bit will be shot down.)
  • Will encourage technological and thaumatological development, not stifle it with god-tech or a god did it wizardry.
  • Will contain a knowledge base, to allow people to catch up to other people quickly, preferably with an access to the Great Library.  Although I understand if that's not going to happen.
  • Will adapt to growing technological and thaumatological growth.  I don't want to force people to live in grass houses after they've got cell phones.
  • Conveniently-located transport systems between and across levels.
  • Extensibility to accommodate new races.
  • Localized resources.  ((Somewhat in line with modularity.))
Aight, I have laid out the requirements.  Let's see if we can build this thing.

Also, consider pantheon bonuses invoked.
Pantheon ILUT bonus, Stelllarion just helped, Vashna is helping even if a lot of us are ignoring his plans (sorry but I'm slightly more practical than you are, HLG.), FallacyOfUrist's god is helping, whomever Detoxicated's god is is helping, Lithus is helping?  ((One of him has explicitly contributed.  One hasn't.))
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:15:09 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 166