Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should we proceed?

End Litany, start a Brand New Version!
- 10 (40%)
Pretend nothing had happened. Continue on as normal.
- 3 (12%)
Timeskip sleep to Modern Times!
- 11 (44%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 166

Author Topic: Litany of the Void: A God Game (24/⊕∵↯) (OOC)  (Read 244292 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Litany of the Void: A God Game (22/⊕∵↯) (OOC)
« Reply #2055 on: July 30, 2015, 11:51:37 am »

I mean, Nilva regularly takes physical form and pesters random people. P obvious she exists.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: July 30, 2015, 11:52:03 am »

"Rolepgeek, are you so sure? In forum games, just like in dreams, nothing is ever obvious. Do even you exist, or am I dreaming again? Am I ever not dreaming? Do even I exist, or am I just a figment of that IcyTea31 guy's imagination? Hm...no, I have no idea. Existence is weird."
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: July 30, 2015, 11:55:18 am »

The answer to that question is pickle, Icy Tea.

A pickle in your tea, to be precise.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: July 30, 2015, 11:57:44 am »

* IcyTea31 shoos Aurosseu back to the other side of the fourth wall.

Which question does your pickle answer to, and why did you just ruin my evening cuppa?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: July 30, 2015, 12:53:19 pm »

Thank you for inspiring my new avatar, Rolepgeek.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: July 30, 2015, 01:17:16 pm »

Are you accepting???

Name: Dgetga
Sphere:
Primary: Invention, Creation (as Creation pertains to Invention), Taking Old Things and Putting Them Together In New Ways.
Secondary: Magic, esp. Magical Devices

Primary form/associated symbol:
Primary form: A human in what one might call a steampunk outfit, with octarine detailing.
Symbol: An octarine gear.  If you can't get octarine paint in this universe, or you're on a budget, or you feel like it, any old gear symbol works. 

Goals: Make Cool Shit.  Seriously, that's about it.  Would equally support a new spell or a new OS, but magitech has a soft spot in his heart.  Really, somewhat of a Muse/'urban legend' as opposed to a proper God, as he doesn't believe in institutionalized worship or even in exclusivity.

I've added you to the character sheet list, you should probably look at it to be more familiar with everyone's character. I feel like our characters will get along, considering the similar aspects.

I mean, Nilva regularly takes physical form and pesters random people. P obvious she exists.

Same for Li/uthus, especially after the massive shouting at the entire universe thing that happened earlier.

Also stirk, does the Aag nation know how to make bows and crossbows (and how good are they at it)? I've thought about making something but I'd need to *know that before I can do it.

Edit: forgot a word
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:09:15 pm by FArgHalfnr »
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: July 30, 2015, 02:40:51 pm »

All the while Skolld does things without telling the humans. For all they know the cursed wolves just popped up some day, maybe due to Nilva.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: July 30, 2015, 04:50:59 pm »

Not in this world. :P We ain't in Discworld anymore.

Plus, it's really damn obvious we exist, the vast majority pf the time.
Eh.  I still think the god's strength is proportional to the belief in the god, not the amount of temples said god has.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: July 30, 2015, 05:07:04 pm »

Eh.  I still think the god's strength is proportional to the belief in the god, not the amount of temples said god has.
Kinda true. A god gets is strength from being worshipped. If its followers worship the god by building temples, it gets power by its followers building temples. If they worship the god by murdering anyone who builds temples, the god gets power from that as well. Worship - not belief - is what gives a god strength.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: July 30, 2015, 05:09:33 pm »

A god also gets power from their spheres being manifest in reality.

Such as Nilva and Wolves. Wolves being a massive part of the biosphere.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: July 30, 2015, 05:14:16 pm »

Kinda true. A god gets is strength from being worshipped. If its followers worship the god by building temples, it gets power by its followers building temples. If they worship the god by murdering anyone who builds temples, the god gets power from that as well. Worship - not belief - is what gives a god strength.
So, basically, I have to define worship the right way.  Gotcha.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: July 30, 2015, 05:19:33 pm »

Sould it not be Belief, instead of Worship?  You know, Discworld theology?
Because, you know, traditionally, actual faith in the god should be more important anyway.
The

Anywho: price check on a new city, inhabited by, well, people predisposed to worship me.
Tinkers, thinkers, magicians, unholy combinations of all three.  With a significant predisposition towards steampunk/magipunk/*punk.  Lots of *punk.

...Actually, I do not know Discworld theology. Never read the books. Any similarities this game shares with that series is due to either to KJP, the players, or pure coincidence.

As the others said, belief/faith wouldn't really work. You are more or less physical Gods. On top of all the obviose Godly things (The Asteroids spelling out praises to someone, a city being picked up and floating, and the Titan smashing things for fun, for just a few examples), Gods are in direct communication with Mortals often answering prayers verbally. Basically not believing in the Gods in this world would be like believing the President of the United states is a hologram made by the lizard people. Or maybe someone closer to you, like believing your Grandfather who you see a few times a year is just a figment of your imagination.

As I forgot to mention, Worship isn't the only way to increase Essence income. Influence is another factor, how much your sphere is effecting the world. This works this way for reasons that nobody has found out IC yet  :P, but I do have reasons for why Worship and Influence create Essence. As a reminder, you can start introducing yourself in the IC at any time.

(Just for the additional record, I am not ignoring the price check. I do all price checks/most questions in a massive OOC post that I am probably maybe might be going to do one day before I go back to college)

"Rolepgeek, are you so sure? In forum games, just like in dreams, nothing is ever obvious. Do even you exist, or am I dreaming again? Am I ever not dreaming? Do even I exist, or am I just a figment of that IcyTea31 guy's imagination? Hm...no, I have no idea. Existence is weird."

While you where here, how about a fun fact I never brought up? I thought about saying it earlier, but never did for some reason. This games original Working Title was "Dreamlike Reality: A God Game", mostly as a nod to the fact many of the mechanics used in this game had originally come from my old Dreamlands game. I thought that title would be confusing, and thought of a name that include a semi-religious reference, a reference to the original Ye Gods (to make it clear what that was), and half a song-reference.

All the while Skolld does things without telling the humans. For all they know the cursed wolves just popped up some day, maybe due to Nilva.

The Cursed Wolves are aware that you are their creator, and act for all intents and purposes as a race you created. The others probably know if you admitted it IC, as Obelisk watchers would no doubt report this event to the Mortals.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: July 30, 2015, 05:28:52 pm »

It's not a simple matter of your followers doing something, but your followers doing something specifically to worship you. You could name breathing as a holy act of worship but you will get no power from it unless your followers specifically do it to worship you. If they breathe just because they want to breath and not to worship you, you get no power from it.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: July 30, 2015, 05:48:03 pm »

Should it not be Belief, instead of Worship?  You know, Discworld theology?
Because, you know, traditionally, actual faith in the god should be more important anyway.
The

Anywho: price check on a new city, inhabited by, well, people predisposed to worship me.
Tinkers, thinkers, magicians, unholy combinations of all three.  With a significant predisposition towards steampunk/magipunk/*punk.  Lots of *punk.

...Actually, I do not know Discworld theology. Never read the books. Any similarities this game shares with that series is due to either to KJP, the players, or pure coincidence.

As the others said, belief/faith wouldn't really work. You are more or less physical Gods. On top of all the obviose Godly things (The Asteroids spelling out praises to someone, a city being picked up and floating, and the Titan smashing things for fun, for just a few examples), Gods are in direct communication with Mortals often answering prayers verbally. Basically not believing in the Gods in this world would be like believing the President of the United states is a hologram made by the lizard people. Or maybe someone closer to you, like believing your Grandfather who you see a few times a year is just a figment of your imagination.

As I forgot to mention, Worship isn't the only way to increase Essence income. Influence is another factor, how much your sphere is effecting the world. This works this way for reasons that nobody has found out IC yet  :P , but I do have reasons for why Worship and Influence create Essence. As a reminder, you can start introducing yourself in the IC at any time.

(Just for the additional record, I am not ignoring the price check. I do all price checks/most questions in a massive OOC post that I am probably maybe might be going to do one day before I go back to college)

Discworld theology: The gods exist.  The people KNOW the gods exist.  The gods have a mountain right smack in the middle of the Disc, which exists and has been visited by mortals, and is pretty obviously their mountain.  The gods talk to their priests &c. &c.  Lightning bolts happen.  Theoretically, more worshippers is a good thing.  If you get down to nuts and bolts, though, the gods are powered by the belief of their worshippers in the gods, not by the formulaic temple worship.  Rules and forms tend to actually build a shell of a god where once the god was, which almost killed a god that, by your rules, would probably have been thriving.  If you want to read the relevant actual Discworld book, get Small Gods from Amazon or something.

But really, my point is: Belief is not the same as knowing the gods exist.  Knowing the gods exist is a fact.  Belief is an opinion.

Spoiler: Cont'd. (click to show/hide)

((As for why I haven't introduced myself yet: I'm thinking of something suitably appropriate, plus I have no clue what the [EXPLETIVE DELETED] is happening, plus I would like a price check.))

It's not a simple matter of your followers doing something, but your followers doing something specifically to worship you. You could name breathing as a holy act of worship but you will get no power from it unless your followers specifically do it to worship you. If they breathe just because they want to breath and not to worship you, you get no power from it.
*groan*  And THIS is why I think the Worship mechanic is kind of awkward.  Sailors don't really build temples to the sea, at least in this day and age, but wouldn't you say that the superstitions count?  Even if they spring up organically, vary from person to person, ship to ship, time to time...Power should be more organic than formulaic.  But I should really stop bashing the system, because I need to work with it.  Heck, it might just be word choice.  But all the same.

((Also, IcyTea, you still doing those projected relationships things?))
Sigtext

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: July 30, 2015, 06:06:53 pm »

Discworld theology: The gods exist.  The people KNOW the gods exist.  The gods have a mountain right smack in the middle of the Disc, which exists and has been visited by mortals, and is pretty obviously their mountain.  The gods talk to their priests &c. &c.  Lightning bolts happen.  Theoretically, more worshippers is a good thing.  If you get down to nuts and bolts, though, the gods are powered by the belief of their worshippers in the gods, not by the formulaic temple worship.  Rules and forms tend to actually build a shell of a god where once the god was, which almost killed a god that, by your rules, would probably have been thriving.  If you want to read the relevant actual Discworld book, get Small Gods from Amazon or something.

Sounds like it would make an interesting story, but a boring game, in my opinion. I am not interested in reading the books right now.

If belief is an opinion, then why would that power Gods? You think that "Having an opinion on a certain God" would make for a better mechanic then actively worshiping them?

((As for why I haven't introduced myself yet: I'm thinking of something suitably appropriate, plus I have no clue what the [EXPLETIVE DELETED] is happening, plus I would like a price check.))

That is logical. I have no clue what is happening either. , but you are going to be waiting at least days for that price check. Sloooowly moving.

But seriously, it really shouldn't be a straight relationship of Number Of Temples == Power Increase, in my opinion.  It should be a measure of Relevance To People * Fervency of Belief * Overtness (middling level is better, just enough to be present, not enough to be too factual) == Power Increase.  But this isn't my game, I really shouldn't be trying to change a core mechanic.

It isn't Number Of Temples==Income Increase. Most of the actual numbers I calculate are number of worshipers, Worship Quality, and more secret hidden factors. More temples helps get more worshipers, and lets people actually worship (raising Worship Quality), but building a million temples won't automatically make you the strongest God.

*groan*  And THIS is why I think the Worship mechanic is kind of awkward.  Sailors don't really build temples to the sea, at least in this day and age, but wouldn't you say that the superstitions count?  Even if they spring up organically, vary from person to person, ship to ship, time to time...Power should be more organic than formulaic.  But I should really stop bashing the system, because I need to work with it.  Heck, it might just be word choice.  But all the same.

Why should a Sailor on the sea give as much Worship as an anointed Priest? You seem to be mislead that it is the Temples themselves that grant Worship. It is the act of Worshiping that generates essence, Temples are typically more of a result of that rather than a cause.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 166