Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should we proceed?

End Litany, start a Brand New Version!
- 10 (40%)
Pretend nothing had happened. Continue on as normal.
- 3 (12%)
Timeskip sleep to Modern Times!
- 11 (44%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 166

Author Topic: Litany of the Void: A God Game (24/⊕∵↯) (OOC)  (Read 253578 times)

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Litany of the Void: A God Game (16/⊕∵↯) (OOC)
« Reply #450 on: May 31, 2015, 10:57:01 am »

It doesn't.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 31, 2015, 11:02:58 am »

The gods don't need to give reasons for others, because they have the upper hand in actually having the resources the solar system needs to be made. In other words: "Give me creative liberty with the project, or do it yourself. Oh wait, you can't." Due to the high cost, no god can do it by themself, which means compromises have to be made, as irritating as it is to every party involved. Of course, clever reasoning does help, but it's not essential.

A Möbius strip can be twisted around multiple times without breaking it, geometry or physics. Hold on a second... A strip can, but a torus can't. Heh. Well, we were going to break geometry anyway.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 31, 2015, 11:17:00 am »

I dunno, I need to tally up the votes, actually.

But yeah, that was my point: You guys were just saying 'either do what I want or I'm not helping'. That's not a compromise. The people who didn't care for a day/night cycle probably could have handled it on their own(you know, if they bothered to try and donate), there seemed to be enough.

Teburshe is ambivalent on the issue. Growth/Shadow cycle versus constant growth.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 31, 2015, 11:31:07 am »

For the record, you can't actually retract essence from this. You put power in to help it grow, it grows. You can't undo it. That was the point of making it a seed that people put Essence into. It's not a 'promised donation' than you can rescind. It's power placed in. No take-backs. It's like a bidding war: you want more control, you put in more power.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 31, 2015, 11:37:35 am »

But yeah, that was my point: You guys were just saying 'either do what I want or I'm not helping'. That's not a compromise.
The fact that all sides of the argument can pull that card forces them to compromise. A compromise is defined as something that is not quite what any side wanted, but contains enough traits from all sides for them to find it acceptable. Case in point: Mindfuck Torus. I don't think anyone actually prefers it over their main ideas, but I see few who reject it.

For the record, you can't actually retract essence from this. You put power in to help it grow, it grows. You can't undo it. That was the point of making it a seed that people put Essence into. It's not a 'promised donation' than you can rescind. It's power placed in. No take-backs. It's like a bidding war: you want more control, you put in more power.
Point A: the action has not resolved yet, and can still be modified. Point B: I used the term 'chip in' for a reason, placing the resources into a pool to be put into the Seed later. Point C: a bidding war is a poor comparison, as in one of those only the highest bidder ends up paying.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 31, 2015, 12:24:04 pm »

Eh, it was the closest I could make.

Also, I really don't see how 'chip in' can be used to mean that.

Finally, retcons are a no-no. Seriously. If everyone can just take back their energy it defeats the point(aka getting shit done even if it results in some people being unhappy with the result).
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 31, 2015, 12:38:22 pm »

Also, I really don't see how 'chip in' can be used to mean that.
To chip in: to contribute to a pool of resources (usually money) to be later used on a project.

Finally, retcons are a no-no. Seriously. If everyone can just take back their energy it defeats the point(aka getting shit done even if it results in some people being unhappy with the result).
Let's hear the GM on that. So far, DS/Izgamlo canceled his action to tear holes in reality, and Stirk allowed this when resolving actions. I agree that retcons are a bad thing, but I define that as changing an action that had already resolved. Canceling an action in the queue doesn't really count for me.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 31, 2015, 01:09:53 pm »

Lemme put it another way.

By the time the shape is decided on, you won't be able to put in more essence. It'll be done. Finished. Complete. So either you put in the full amount and get the full number of votes, or you don't, and it's less likely to be what you want it to be. No getting votes without putting in essence, no deciding after the fact.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 31, 2015, 01:16:03 pm »

Yes, once it's decided and made, there won't be any changes. However, gods know math. By counting the resources put in by others, one can calculate the value of their own contribution. Yes, due to the uncommon form of the Seed, actual 'votes' cast can't be reversed after the fact. However, verbal votes made can be, because no action has actually been done. And that is why I planned ahead in pooling instead of contributing immediately. Loopholes.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 31, 2015, 01:18:45 pm »

Yes, once it's decided and made, there won't be any changes. However, gods know math. By counting the resources put in by others, one can calculate the value of their own contribution. Yes, due to the uncommon form of the Seed, actual 'votes' cast can't be reversed after the fact. However, verbal votes made can be, because no action has actually been done. And that is why I planned ahead in pooling instead of contributing immediately. Loopholes.

Yeah, IcyTea, from Teburshe's perspective, you're just being a dick.

Also sorta from mine. You're not the God of Order. Loopholes are you just taking advantage of the fact that I wouldfind it out of character to go back and seal up those holes at this point.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 31, 2015, 01:19:58 pm »

And I just now realized that realistically my god has no goals other than survival. Oops.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 31, 2015, 01:22:08 pm »

Collaborate with Lorash to record the events of the universe?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 31, 2015, 01:23:16 pm »

Maybe.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 31, 2015, 01:34:59 pm »

And I just now realized that realistically my god has no goals other than survival. Oops.

That was pretty much my case last time when I played the god of theft. Not sure what I could've done other than being annoying to everyone else in the long term.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 31, 2015, 01:36:40 pm »

Quote from: 4chan
>Not wanting to create a city spaning the universe built from literaly all matter
>lel
>pleb
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 166