Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should we proceed?

End Litany, start a Brand New Version!
- 10 (40%)
Pretend nothing had happened. Continue on as normal.
- 3 (12%)
Timeskip sleep to Modern Times!
- 11 (44%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 166

Author Topic: Litany of the Void: A God Game (24/⊕∵↯) (OOC)  (Read 253412 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Litany of the Void: A God Game (16/⊕∵↯) (OOC)
« Reply #390 on: May 30, 2015, 08:57:47 pm »

It doesn't have any more space than a normal planet is why, Andres. Practical effect is what determines price in this game.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 30, 2015, 09:05:16 pm »

If the only thing that matters is output, why come up with any creative solutions if you can just say "fix this problem with X amount of Essence"?

Example:
I have a planet. I want there to be light and warmth on it. Instead of saying "create a sun", all I have to do is say "permanently give it light and warmth" and there would be no difference, despite the light and warmth literally coming from nowhere.

EDIT: Even worse is that would actually be cheaper than creating a sun because I'm not paying for an object - only its effects. This is despite light and warmth generating on its own is physically impossible.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:08:36 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 30, 2015, 09:08:47 pm »

No, not necessarily. He did say that doing things cleverly or creatively or indirectly tends to be more effective and efficient than directly. Not quite the same. In this case, it's just that the shape of the planet doesn't really matter. It's still a planet, and it'll have different characteristics, but it doesn't cost all that much more. In the other case, it's a matter of 'create a sun' versus 'create a giant glowing crystal that gives off heat with the light it glows with' versus 'create a giant spider that vomits energy at the world in the form of light and heat, just enough to be reasonable'. They all have the same end result. Just different means, and the spider can't really do much for other worlds except maybe spin webs between them. Glittering webs of stars.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 30, 2015, 09:12:39 pm »

I just think that things that break the established laws of physics should cost more unless they're based on magic. This torus world breaks physics and is not based on magic so it should cost more in my opinion. The excuse of "but this is the start of the universe and physics doesn't exist yet" is invalid because if we are creating physics right now then all large masses in the future will become toric unless we spend Essence so they take another shape.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 30, 2015, 09:15:22 pm »

Stirk. You need to rebalance the creation mechanics. Price is literally random. It makes no sense.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 30, 2015, 09:17:04 pm »

Also, if physics doesn't exist right now and creating the world/sun won't change that, that would mean that we would have to deliberately craft the laws of physics and spend Essence doing so. No one wants that.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:19:23 pm by Andres »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 30, 2015, 09:26:57 pm »

Nah, we don't have to spend Essence doing so. Why did you think we would? It's part and parcel of a solar system.

And your other argument doesn't make sense either....why would all large masses be toric? The sun isn't, and it's probably far larger than the planet. They take the shape we want them to take. Period. There's (divine) magic, Andres, and it's fully integrated into the way the universe works. It's not just an add-on. You're being very unsportsmanlike right now. Please stop.

EDIT: Also, Ama, so what's your vote for the shape of the STAR? Because that's separate from world-shape.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 30, 2015, 09:28:11 pm »

PTW. Don't really have time to get involved for the foreseeable future but if things clear up and there's still free spots, I might hop in.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 30, 2015, 09:31:54 pm »

Stirk, give Kapla a look. It has a very good creation system, I recommend modifying your current system so it makes sense. Kapla's power metric ratings makes sense for example.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 30, 2015, 09:34:54 pm »

You guys should A. Be patient, as Stirk will catch up more easily if you don't spam the OOC and B. criticize the GM less.

For serious. Random costs are annoying and I think he's trying to replicate Ye Gods(which had a much less 'random' system, though I think it was less meant to be random and more meant to be 'you aren't quite sure EXACTLY how much it'll cost ahead of time' and 'it'll depend a little bit on circumstances/method' and 'no gaming the system you little shits'), but it's that game-breaking. Calm down.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 30, 2015, 09:35:36 pm »

Stirk, give Kapla a look. It has a very good creation system, I recommend modifying your current system so it makes sense. Kapla's power metric ratings makes sense for example.

That system was based off Ghazkull's Pantheon btw so I can't take full credit for it.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 30, 2015, 10:16:47 pm »

There's (divine) magic, Andres, and it's fully integrated into the way the universe works.
Ah. I thought it was like in Ye Gods where if there was something blocking the way of a divine project (physics, for example), more Essence would be needed to surpass it. If physics plays second to divine will in this game, that's fine with me.

Oh god I'm assuming again. :'(
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 10:18:57 pm by Andres »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 30, 2015, 10:43:35 pm »

Exactly.

Although I thought the same was true in Ye Gods and that Cim just took over Physics' job in that regard. But whatevs.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 30, 2015, 10:48:18 pm »

So why don't we just make the Wuldbringer Wolves? They can create the sun, the torus world, and whatever other world we want using Power. It would be much more efficient than making the sun and the worlds on our own.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 30, 2015, 10:50:37 pm »

So why don't we just make the Wuldbringer Wolves? They can create the sun, the torus world, and whatever other world we want using Power. It would be much more efficient than making the sun and the worlds on our own.

Sure, and wait a week for it to get started.

And waste all the essence that's already been put into my seeds.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 166