Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should we proceed?

End Litany, start a Brand New Version!
- 10 (40%)
Pretend nothing had happened. Continue on as normal.
- 3 (12%)
Timeskip sleep to Modern Times!
- 11 (44%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 166

Author Topic: Litany of the Void: A God Game (24/⊕∵↯) (OOC)  (Read 244890 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Litany of the Void: A God Game (20/⊕∵↯) (OOC)
« Reply #870 on: June 05, 2015, 12:57:52 am »

Didn't Stirk say that cyphertext doesn't actually help him any, IcyTea?
Did he? I must have missed that.

It's also bad sportsmanship to do everything privately. The whole point of games like these is building a story. If you do everything privately, well, that's not really contributing to the communal story now is it?
You are lucky to not have a player actively opposing you. You don't need to hide most of your actions, as nobody wants to counter them. And I'm actually doing less things in private than certain players right now.
Beyond that, using ciphertext also works for the story, as I can reveal the key once the game is over so that everyone can read what's been going on behind the scenes.

How is it bad sportsmanship to read PMs?
It's metagaming to read PMs not meant for you, including pseudo-PMs with ciphers. That is, using information you wouldn't normally have gained to your advantage.

Moreover, it's quite clear that you see this as a game, from the way you try and play it. Competitively, constantly, against both the rules and players. Rather than cooperatively. You think in terms of opponents and winning. You can't win this. Nobody 'won' Ye Gods. Nobody was going to.
In a game without a win condition, you win by having fun, and lose if you don't. You can win even if you 'lose'. However, ennui is the main villain of a game such as this, and having challenges to surpass keeps it away. If everyone co-operated perfectly, the only conflict would come from things the GM throws at the players. If some players work against each other, more conflict happens, with more challenges for everyone involved, and hopefully more fun.

If you have a different definition that you think suits the term better and it's not a literal mathematically correct definition that doesn't actually tell someone anything about it, then I'd love to hear it.
RPG: role-playing game. As a primary mechanic of a game, players assume the roles of fictional characters. This is a very broad definition, and one size fits many, for there are many different kinds of RPGs. Personally, to me god games are more narrowly 'politics simulations', similar to "Model U.N." Each player assumes the role of a powerful entity with agendas to push, and is supposed to persuade, coerce, compromise and fight to get those agendas through. Interplayer conflict comes naturally.

I'm allowed to be a competitive player who plays a competitive god. Yes I can. True. Cim was going to.
If I complete my god's grand ambition, I consider that to be me having won the game. For example, Cim's ultimate goal was to put all the gods in stasis and rule alone. If he had done that, he would've won the game no question about it.
Wrong. That was Cim's original goal (well, part of it), but as the game evolved, more goals came and the other gods had their uses. Beyond that, it's the journey, not the goal. Cim had enough Essence to perform the complete stasis it at any time, but a dramatic enough moment to deploy it didn't happen. And yes, KJP would have vetoed it even if every other god wouldn't have come to instantly lynch Cim for it.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: June 05, 2015, 01:03:50 am »

Didn't Stirk say that cyphertext doesn't actually help him any, IcyTea?
Did he? I must have missed that.
Someone offered to use a cypher system instead of PMs, but that doesn't really change the problem of PMs and just makes even more work for me  :P.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: June 05, 2015, 01:04:26 am »

So you're not planning on doing anything with that mountain? The Maag can't mine it, after all. Is it ok if Humanity expands there and trades the minerals they get with the Maag?

I'm definitively planning to do something with the mountain, I'm not building it in the middle of the Maag territory just to look pretty. I just need to get it to a proper size and get to know how much essence I have before starting my plan. If you do claim it I will consider it an invasion and will probably start a war over it. And also, it's in the middle of a scorching desert next to an exposed bit of the mantle, so the place is probably very hostile to human life.

And what do you mean by "The Maag can't mine it"? I don't see why they couldn't.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: June 05, 2015, 01:12:31 am »

And also, it's in the middle of a scorching desert next to an exposed bit of the mantle, so the place is probably very hostile to human life.
I've studied enough Chenkov to know how to solve this problem.

And what do you mean by "The Maag can't mine it"? I don't see why they couldn't.
I was assuming it would be like a normal mountain. Mines tend to not have very much sunlight and more importantly, they're very cold. Based on the fact that Maag get sustenance from warmth rather than food, I'm also guessing they're cold-blooded which means they can't even heat up the mines with their own body temperature. They'd freeze to death.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: June 05, 2015, 01:16:29 am »

If you really need a hint as to what 'other' feelings Uztot is thinking of...just think about his primary sphere for a second.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: June 05, 2015, 01:19:12 am »

Feelings of kinship? [/beingintentionallydense]

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: June 05, 2015, 01:20:32 am »

If you really need a hint as to what 'other' feelings Uztot is thinking of...just think about his primary sphere for a second.
Oh yeah. My god's about to go Khorne on Patronius' ass too if he doesn't back down.

Now, while Iliseth's motives for defending her followers are as she stated, I the player wanted to know if this would have any repercussions on what the mortals think of the gods. The stone of the gods' speech records all that we say, after all, and pretty much everyone would be able to read by now.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: June 05, 2015, 01:21:59 am »

It may record everything, but at least two thirds of the mortal population don't have access to it.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: June 05, 2015, 01:23:16 am »

It may record everything, but at least two thirds of the mortal population don't have access to it.
There's also the Divine Library which can be accessed by anyone who lives in a city.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: June 05, 2015, 01:28:26 am »

I was assuming it would be like a normal mountain. Mines tend to not have very much sunlight and more importantly, they're very cold. Based on the fact that Maag get sustenance from warmth rather than food, I'm also guessing they're cold-blooded which means they can't even heat up the mines with their own body temperature. They'd freeze to death.

That makes sense, but that won't be a problem with my plan. And also, they'd probably be closer to a solar panel or a plant than a cold-blooded being, but both would probably react the same to cold. I'm not even sure if they even have blood. As far as I know they could use a completely different system to move oxygen around their body. I made them silicon-based instead of carbon-based, so they have the potential to be quite different internally from other lifeforms. (And also, everything except the first sentence is completely irrelevant to your argument, I just noticed that.)

I get it, and yeah, that would actually be pretty useful to have an increased reproduction rate. As long as it doesn't go out of control or force them to do it against their will.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 01:30:59 am by FArgHalfnr »
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: June 05, 2015, 01:41:50 am »

And also, they'd probably be closer to a solar panel or a plant than a cold-blooded being, but both would probably react the same to cold. I'm not even sure if they even have blood. As far as I know they could use a completely different system to move oxygen around their body.
They feed from the sun's energy and the ambient heat rather than traditional food and drinks, being perfectly at ease even in the hottest of the desert, but being intolerant of the more temperate climates, requiring an artificial heat source to maintain them in good shape.
This is just a guess but maybe they require both sunlight and ambient heat to survive? It could be because warmth has different nutrients that sunlight doesn't supply enough of on its own. (I don't even know.)

Even if ambient heat was normally optional, it would become necessary in a mine. Mines are colder than temperate climates so an artificial heat source would be needed in the mines to keep the Maag operational. Since we're still low-tech, that would mean torches which would need to be numerous enough to heat up the mine rather than just provide light. This would quickly remove the oxygen in the mine which would be bad because the Maag need oxygen to live, as you yourself said.

You could spend some Essence on a magical or technological solution or....you can hire Human workers. They can work in such conditions and unlike Dwarves, they won't refuse to keep a monopoly they don't have.

I get it, and yeah, that would actually be pretty useful to have an increased reproduction rate. As long as it doesn't go out of control or force them to do it against their will.
Ah, so that's what he was talking about. For some reason I read "primary" as "secondary". I'm not even tired so I have no idea why.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: June 05, 2015, 01:49:12 am »

Hm. Should I tie the effects of the Blessing of Kinship to the day/night cycle, assuming there is one?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: June 05, 2015, 01:52:11 am »

If there was a day/night cycle, that would leave the initial survival of the Maag mysterious. They were born in a desert where the nights are cold and there's no wood so I'm not sure how they could've made a fire. There aren't any furry animals to make clothing or sleeping bags out of either. Exactly how flammable are the Maag, again?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: June 05, 2015, 01:59:42 am »

I've been considering something. Cim was apparently so memorable a character, people are still drawing parallels to it. I also need to practice my writing skills. The question is, would there be interest for a suggestion game based on the original Ye Gods, that tells the story of one of Cim's Prophets? It probably wouldn't be illustrated as drawing the scenes would require more work than just describing them in words.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: June 05, 2015, 02:03:06 am »

So long as Ye Gods events would have an impact on the prophet's job, I'd be into it.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 166