Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should we proceed?

End Litany, start a Brand New Version!
- 10 (40%)
Pretend nothing had happened. Continue on as normal.
- 3 (12%)
Timeskip sleep to Modern Times!
- 11 (44%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 166

Author Topic: Litany of the Void: A God Game (24/⊕∵↯) (OOC)  (Read 244851 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Litany of the Void: A God Game (16/⊕∵↯) (OOC)
« Reply #330 on: May 30, 2015, 01:32:21 pm »

Also, is that cost for a planet that can grow or just the addition of growth, Stirk?

Addition. Like I said, 1% growth is an absurd amount.
We have no idea how long a tick is. I figured a tick was about 20-80 years, and since it would be 1% mass, not surface area, I figured it would be slow enough. What about 0.1% then, per millenium?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 30, 2015, 01:38:37 pm »

I still fail why people want the growth when the world is efectively infinite.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 30, 2015, 01:39:10 pm »

I still fail why people want the growth when the world is efectively infinite.
Well I'm the God of Growth, so I have an obligation...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 30, 2015, 01:40:47 pm »

So create a species of grass like plants that create mass as they decay. Bam, world is growing year to year.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 30, 2015, 01:42:11 pm »

So create a species of grass like plants that create mass as they decay. Bam, world is growing year to year.

Why not just make the world alive and growing directly, instead of breaking yet more laws of physics (:P)?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 30, 2015, 01:42:30 pm »

I redid the map. It's not as horrible as the last one, but it's still very backbone. I'll add more details as things progress.

FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 30, 2015, 01:43:58 pm »

You might want to hold off on excessive mapmaking until it is 100% confirmed we're making a torus. Or better yet, once the torus is actually made.

Also, I'd prefer the term "tropics" over "desert"
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:47:58 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 30, 2015, 01:48:37 pm »

There's probably going to be a hell of a lot more 'volcanic', or more appropriately, 'mercurial' areas.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 30, 2015, 01:49:16 pm »

Also, is that cost for a planet that can grow or just the addition of growth, Stirk?

Addition. Like I said, 1% growth is an absurd amount.
We have no idea how long a tick is. I figured a tick was about 20-80 years, and since it would be 1% mass, not surface area, I figured it would be slow enough. What about 0.1% then, per millenium?

I have no idea how long it will be either  :-\. The first few ticks will probably take millennium, at least until we get sapient life in existence. The main problem with % based calculations is that they compound themselves. You aren't looking at a 100% increase after 100 centuries. The first is X (the planet) times 101%. Now you have a new planet with that total. So the next growth isn't just 1% of the original, it is slightly bigger. You would have doubled its mass by 70 centuries, tripled it by 110, quadrupled it by 140, X5 by 160, and then the intervals between adding the size of the original planet get smaller and smaller. Basically, since the planet's mass increases exponentially, it would work fine at a small number of centuries while becoming completely absurd at larger ones.

If you wanted a planet to grow just for the sake of growing, it would be significantly cheaper to do it linearly or do it with a more indirect mechanism.

$$$ANSWERS

.1% per millennium: 5-20E per earthsize. (Creation ETC)
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 30, 2015, 01:50:35 pm »

Rolepgeek, would you amenable to a long vertical rod sun, rather than a long vertical spiral sun?

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 30, 2015, 01:56:55 pm »

Why not just make the world alive and growing directly, instead of breaking yet more laws of physics (:P)?

Your option is basicly other gods paying to increase your influence on the world, whereas grass will be entirely yours.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 30, 2015, 01:58:38 pm »

Some of the other gods are also desirous/appreciative of the growing feature though DreamerGhost

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 30, 2015, 02:01:37 pm »

I'd rather avoid any useless costs if possible, considering I will need a lot of essence to get started with my plans. I'd prefer the grass suggestion personally, since we won't have to pay for it, and it will probably be much cheaper than an expanding planet.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 30, 2015, 02:02:16 pm »

Some of the other gods are also desirous/appreciative of the growing feature though DreamerGhost

Which brings us back to  me not understanding why.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 30, 2015, 02:02:55 pm »

Which brings us back to  me not understanding why.
*mumble mumble* new lands to explore! *waves hands vaguely* *mumble mumble*

I'd rather avoid any useless costs if possible, considering I will need a lot of essence to get started with my plans. I'd prefer the grass suggestion personally, since we won't have to pay for it, and it will probably be much cheaper than an expanding planet.
Yeah, my life-bearing chitin moon is going to be expensive. I'll probably need to halve its size to make ends meet. Since I don't think anyone wants to help me make it?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 02:06:39 pm by Demonic Spoon »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 166