Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should we proceed?

End Litany, start a Brand New Version!
- 10 (40%)
Pretend nothing had happened. Continue on as normal.
- 3 (12%)
Timeskip sleep to Modern Times!
- 11 (44%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 166

Author Topic: Litany of the Void: A God Game (24/⊕∵↯) (OOC)  (Read 245044 times)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Litany of the Void: A God Game (22/⊕∵↯) (OOC)
« Reply #1275 on: June 17, 2015, 02:51:05 am »

Mmm, probably gonna have the ants start expanding past the moon soonish. Fun!

$$$
The Chitin Moon prevents any who sleep inside it from suffering nightmares.

Once a year the Chitin Moon buds off an immortal Chitin Ball. They are like the Chitin Moon in miniature, having a tiny portal to the sun for sustenance, producing nectar to feed ants, and being riddled with tiny ant-sized tunnels and passages. Each chitin ball can initially comfortably house and feed up to a million Chitin-Ants (taking into account that Chitin-Ants are ant sized) and are capable of speech anywhere within their bodies, as well as a soft whisper to the outside. The Balls have no physical entrances, and can only be accessed via portal magic. The surface chitin of the balls is twice as strong as steel, and resistant to many forms of damage, such as fire and acid. They protect against nightmares, regardless of whether the Chitin-Moon can do so or not and are very intelligent, with a perfect memory. They possess innate knowledge on magic, granted to them by Izgamlo, and all devoutly worship Izgamlo, and are literally incapable of worshiping other gods. They will serve the ants as guiders and protectors: teaching young ants magic, serving as living records of history, protecting the ants from harm with their tough chitin, and encouraging them on the path of Izgamlo. While tolerant of the worship of other gods, they try to gently nudge ants into at least somewhat honouring Izgamlo, such as by singing gentle Izgamlo themed lullabies to young larvae. Incapable of moving on their own, they must rely on outside forces to transport them. They have an innate capability to make a set of, temporary, small ant-sized portals twice a day, that it can keep open for up to an hour, or shorter if it so wishes. They are capable of using other magic, such as Portal Magic, if the need arises. The Chitin-Balls can re-arrange their internal passages and hollows, as well as the permanent internal portals they use for heat-management and food distribution to better suit the needs of the ants living within them. Their internal air system is self-contained. They do not sleep, and thus do not dream, and cannot become bored. They are my high priests, dedicated to a life of contemplation, worship, and instruction in the way of Izgamlo to the other races, as well as the spiritual caretakers of the ants.  Their surface chitin becomes steadily tougher, and they grow slowly in size as the Chitin-Balls age, with the upper limits of both being unlimited, but improving and growing at a slow linear rate. Their senses are not linked to physical organs, but rather they have an awareness of anything within them, and within a hundred metres of them.

A Magic System of Telekinesis. Medium-Strength Magic. Powered by Essence and Age, the older you are the more powerful is your capability in telekinesis. Only creatures incapable of locomotion under their own power can use it. As an example, a quadriplegic fifty year old human might be able to move around his own bodymass under his own power, while a century old one might be able to move twice is body mass. Telekinesis strength not relative to bodysize, so a fifty year old writhe would not be able to move its own bodymass, but the bodymass of a human. So it'd probably take chitinballs a century or two to be able to move freely with telekinesis, though they can probably roll themselves around earlier than that, though that's be nauseating to any ants inside them. Requires years of unmoving contemplation to gain the ability to use it. Telekinetic power can be improved beyond the base rate by further unmoving contemplation, though if you spent all your time contemplating this effective increase your power gain by a further 20% compared to just aging.

Increase the reproduction rate of the ants to something equivalent to real life ants, assuming it isn't there already. RL ant colonies can have millions of ants iirc.

Boost intelligence of all ants to Beta Ant levels so that there aren't intelligence castes.

Double ant lifespans

Wards Magic System. Medium Strength. Powered by runes, precious metals, jewels and prayer. By engraving runes on an object, area or creature, and then pouring molten precious metals into the runic grooves, embedding jewels at key points in the runic array, burning hundreds of sticks of incense at the same time, and praying a couple of hours to Izgamlo, elaborate wards can be created, that prevent certain things from ocurring. For example you could put wards over a treasure vault to prevent portals from being created to the vault, or put wards over a ship that prevents it from being set afire. The effects of the wards can be toggled by the wielder of the object, the creature the wards were branded into, or the main creator of the wards for an area. You could create something like a set of armour that prevents all teleportation within a kilometre, or a Great Beast who is warded against melee attacks. Each ward is specific, but multiple wards can overlap, preventing multiple things from happening. However, the more wards are stacked, the more and more complex the process becomes, requiring a higher understanding of the Warding Magic, more runes, more jewels, more precious metals, more incense, more praying. Understanding and utilizing Ward Magic requires several decades of intensive study, with access to the appropriate learning materials, teachers and spell components to practise creating wards. Also lots of math. Multiple people can work together on a single warding, and only one of them actually has to understand it, so you could for example have a master warder directing a group of craftsmen to carve out the runes, with some acolytes doing the praying. The warding master must personally oversee everything however, personally inset the jewels, and rote learning of specific warding schemas is impossible, full comprehension is required for the ward to be successfully created. The wards are by no means unbreakable, and actions of sufficient power can overcome them. The more is put into the wards, in terms of prayer, precision of the runes, the quality and value of the gems, precious metals and incense, the stronger they are.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 02:15:57 pm by Demonic Spoon »

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: June 17, 2015, 05:40:31 am »

So I'm assuming the dwarves have never written down their knowledge of metalcrafting?

They have. Divine library does not work that way.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: June 17, 2015, 06:08:29 am »

In which case, Clan Rilem should already possess metalcrafting due to the power of the Ritual Stones.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: June 17, 2015, 06:13:58 am »

So I'm assuming the dwarves have never written down their knowledge of metalcrafting?

This reminds me, I should probably make a portal in space that links to the divine library so the Writhes can access it. (They don't build space cities iirc)

Stirk, the Writhes would survive fine in the Divine Library right? Or would they need to be adapted to survive in non-space environments?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 06:23:58 am by Demonic Spoon »

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: June 17, 2015, 06:23:20 am »

In which case, Clan Rilem should already possess metalcrafting due to the power of the Ritual Stones.
Saplings had ritual stones for a while longer and that got them nowhere in metalcraft. Now CRs ties with actual dwarves however..

This reminds me, I should probably make a portal in space that links to the divine library so the Writhes can access it. (They don't build space cities iirc)

Can they even read writing of races they never interacted with? Would they even care?
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: June 17, 2015, 06:24:56 am »

Can they even read writing of races they never interacted with? Would they even care?
I'm guessing they can't read, so I'd teach them that too but its cheap. Of course they care, they have an insatiable hunger for knowledge.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: June 17, 2015, 06:29:57 am »

The Saplings if I recall didn't really exploit the stones whereas the CRDs were told to basically operate stones like a production line. Five of them anyway.

EDIT: The Divine Library only has history amongst its collection, yes? By history do we mean all events that have happened or only the general chronicle of events?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 06:36:24 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: June 17, 2015, 06:48:01 am »

I'm guessing all events, otherwise it'd be a less a labyrinthe library and more a single book.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: June 17, 2015, 06:50:15 am »

Even the tiny details like John stole this cake from Abbey who told Marcus to tell the magistrate?
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: June 17, 2015, 06:53:08 am »

$$$
Price check:

How much power would it cost to spark a golden age of invention for the dwarves(a large set of fey moods, productivity increases, and creativity boosts spread across a wide area)?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: June 17, 2015, 07:21:23 am »

What exactly are the mechanics of Portal Magic? From what I can tell its making a choice between memory/lifeforce and then turning this into portal...energy?
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: June 17, 2015, 07:32:07 am »

What exactly are the mechanics of Portal Magic? From what I can tell its making a choice between memory/lifeforce and then turning this into portal...energy?
It uses both energy and lifeforce actually. It sucks up lifeforce and memories, then uses this to make a portal. More the larger the portal is, and even more if the portal is permanent. Presumably memories provide a certain amount of oomph depending on their importance to the caster, how banal they are etc (example, memories of how portal magic actually works might be pretty important), and animal memories are probably of worse quality. Beyond that I haven't really expanded on the mechanics much since the level of focus of the game is such that too much detail just ends up superfluous.

I tried to set it up so you can make some pretty fucking badass portals but it's gonna cost a lot, either you personally or the herds of livestock that needs to be procured. I was thinking disposable/expendable portal casting people might also become a thing.

I can dig up the actual creation post of portal magic which should have a little more information if you like.

EDIT: Not quite sure what you're asking on a reread, but guess I should note that the portals can be used offensively, for example, portal to the bottom of the ocean to flood the enemy lines, portal through a enemy to cut him with what effectively functions like a two-dimensional knife etc.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:28:24 am by Demonic Spoon »

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: June 17, 2015, 08:08:58 am »

It uses both energy and lifeforce actually. It sucks up lifeforce and memories, then uses this to make a portal. More the larger the portal is, and even more if the portal is permanent. Presumably memories provide a certain amount of oomph depending on their importance to the caster, how banal they are etc (example, memories of how portal magic actually works might be pretty important), and animal memories are probably of worse quality. Beyond that I haven't really expanded on the mechanics much since the level of focus of the game is such that too much detail just ends up superfluous.

I tried to set it up so you can make some pretty fucking badass portals but it's gonna cost a lot, either you personally or the herds of livestock that needs to be procured. I was thinking disposable/expendable portal casting people might also become a thing.

I can dig up the actual creation post of portal magic which should have a little more information if you like.

EDIT: Not quite sure what you're asking on a reread, but guess I should note that the portals can be used offensively, for example, portal to the bottom of the ocean to flood the enemy lines, portal through a enemy to cut him with a two-dimensional knife etc.
Hehe, telefrag.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: June 17, 2015, 08:50:41 am »

Even the tiny details like John stole this cake from Abbey who told Marcus to tell the magistrate?

Yes, although records this detailed would never be found due to how restrictions of Divine Library work.

$$$
Price check:

How much power would it cost to spark a golden age of invention for the dwarves(a large set of fey moods, productivity increases, and creativity boosts spread across a wide area)?

You can use any ammount, the more you use the greater the effect. Also, I hate you, because now all gods will do this.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: June 17, 2015, 08:55:05 am »

I won't.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 166