Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Crafting and Crashes  (Read 2770 times)

Zealord

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT:SUBURBS]
    • View Profile
Re: Crafting and Crashes
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 01:42:18 pm »

I've actually had the game behave more unstable than usually after starting wood burning, or making a metalsmith's forge. Maybe our problems could be related. It happened to me twice on the same save.
This is great.

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 01:49:33 pm »

Why do people so hate aquifers?  They're so lovely.  I can't imagine what people have against infinite, easily accessible, and completely secure water sources. 

If I designate a pond to be filled, then it fills up with dead dwarven babies.  If I desginate a pond to be filled, and build a well over it, it fills up with dead dwarven adults.  Access to an infinite source of water?  I don't have an infinite number of dwarves to die in it.  And die in it they will!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 02:03:32 pm »

If I designate a pond to be filled, then it fills up with dead dwarven babies.  If I desginate a pond to be filled, and build a well over it, it fills up with dead dwarven adults.  Access to an infinite source of water?  I don't have an infinite number of dwarves to die in it.  And die in it they will!

Have you tried moving said water with pumps and/or floodgates, first?

If you prefer other water sources for having the capacity to be less than 7/7, then you can achieve the same thing with similar techniques applied to an aquifer's water.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 03:07:28 pm »

Have you tried moving said water with pumps and/or floodgates, first?

Are you insane?  I can barely build a working drawbridge!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 03:25:41 pm »

Are you insane?  I can barely build a working drawbridge!

Well, if you're scared to try, then you'll never get better...  Just make a "throwaway fort" and test it out, and if you fail, then you haven't lost anything of value. 

And honestly, a pump and a floodgate are no more complex than a drawbridge, anyway.  (At least, manual pumps, but small perpetual motion devices aren't difficult.)

Just remember to build a floor under the floodgate (so no tree can grow), and that the tile further away from the source is an impassible wall that blocks water.  If you pump into a room of only 3 tiles, you have 21 units of water.  If, including the floodgate tile, you have 7 tiles of space when the floodgate opens, you ensure all tiles have 3/7 water. 

Code: [Select]
z Aquifer +1
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▲▓.▓▲▓
~%%.XO▓
▓▓▓.▓▲▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

. = floor
▓ = wall
▲ = ramp
X = floodgate
O = well (floor above, needs channel)
% = pump
~ = channel to aquifer

This design has a well and two ramps to allow anyone who falls in to simply walk right back out.  Babies can also be safely retrieved. You can manually pump, and not worry about water backflowing.  You merely need a lever for the floodgate. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 09:44:10 pm »

Babies can also be safely retrieved.

What kind of Elven nonsense is this?
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2015, 02:55:08 am »

What kind of Elven nonsense is this?

Only for the purposes of putting them in the dog pits to learn how to survive The Way Of The Dwarf, of course.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2015, 01:22:15 am »

After spending all day crafting mechanisms out of metal bars and charcoal, metal grates out of metal bars and charcoal, and metal hives out of metal bars and charcoal, battleaxes out of metal bars and charcoal, I suddenly got foolish, and told the game to craft me some armor out of metal bars and charcoal.  It crashed within a minute.
Pages: 1 [2]