Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 912247 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!
« Reply #9285 on: October 04, 2023, 06:20:03 pm »

That is technically the case, but most non-combat encounters, being social, exploration and traps, take basically no resources at all to deal with.

A social encounter usually takes no resources ime, because PCs are quicker to turn to mundane torture than to magic when trying to force answers out of an NPC, or have expertise in social skills and convince them to be helpful willingly before anything like coercion even comes up. A social character can have a +9 to Persuasion at level 1 in 5e depending on your stat generation method.

Exploration is neutered by the fact that rules for movement are so generous. Climbing and swimming don't take tests under normal circumstances, darkvision is ubiquitous and light magic is free anyway, and there are several abilities that boil down to 'you don't get lost and always have food.'

Traps are just meh design in the first place. Oh no, a pit in an illogical place, whatever shall we do? 5e makes this worse since you can just climb past them using the rules as they are, but a lot of PCs can trivially jump over a pit, get thrown a rope and pass through with no resource attrition. Fantasy style traps take me out of the game world anyway,* so I'm not generous to them, but I've never encountered ones that actually caused problems except for automatic machine gun turrets in a sci fi game, and they were immobile enemies more than traps.

*They're the equivalent of pointing a shotgun trap at your front door and then having to use the damn thing everyday. I don't know about you, but I don't want sliced in half by a giant guillotine because I forgot to disarm the traps when I was coming back in after popping to the shops for milk. They just remind me that the enemies aren't real people.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9286 on: October 05, 2023, 06:55:21 am »

Yeah, the impression I've gotten is that she's implemented a number of such non-combat trials and tribulations, but everything so far has been trivialized by A) Deceptomancy, B) Sending the invisible imp into it, or C) Some spell she didn't know about being an auto-solve button.

With a small smattering of "Well we had no other options, but this last-resort d20 rolled a 19"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9287 on: November 27, 2023, 07:53:50 am »

It would seem that I completely forgot to post in here about how things turned out!

Got the character set up so she could plug him in to the encounter, and I told her that if anything came up during the battle that I'd be available on Discord. The battle started and she had begun losing hope as the dude began hemorrhaging HP, but then she remembered that she had the Bullshit Hotline on speed dial.

I got a status update on the battlefield, reminded her of tactics and abilities that were available, and provided some suggestions for what to do with target priority and how to handle some of their bullshit... And the battle started to turn again. One player after another countered, repelled, brought down, and put to sleep... And one bard who was abducted during the fight after being lured away by the promise of a reunion with hot random NPC from earlier they'd fixated on.

Finally nearly everyone was either down or otherwise indisposed, except for one blinking cleric with incredibly lucky rolls to remain blinked... In desperation, the cleric beseeched their god for aid in this trying time. DM texted me saying that they weren't familiar with the god and so didn't know how they'd respond to that.

I asked which god, in the off chance that maybe they'd picked one of the ones I had some small knowledge of so I could help out.

Turns out, they had.

"Cyric", came the text back... And I started cackling.

She whipped up an impossible ultimatum. The player first started pacing the room frantically while grappling with this choice, then was on the floor for a bit, then left the room entirely to agonize some more... Before finally making their dreadful choice according to the character's personality and history, and getting whisked away from the game as well. Effectively a party wipe, but with much more drama.

So, end result, everyone was thrilled and had a fantastic evening! While the unconscious chars were set to be imprisoned for a breakout, I think everyone decided to roll up new ones anyway. And a grim precedent has been set that yes, Barovia absolutely can be deadly!

...which apparently has prompted the Warlock dude to now roll up an Echo Knight instead :P More fun times and bullshittery await!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9288 on: December 10, 2023, 06:37:25 am »

Was my first time on the other side of the screen last night! I'd previously gotten coerced into running a game by a couple friends who had "unanimously agreed" that I was the best option for running their first game of DnD, so I spent the last week throwing together a one-shot for them to sink their teeth into.

Naturally, things devolved into chaos from basically the word "go"... And with some incredibly squishy newbies, I ended up having to pull quite a few punches that were otherwise available to me (goblins are frankly terrifying for their CR if played tactically), but I think I managed to do so more or less fluidly and naturally so it wasn't obvious what I was doing.

...in any case; two downs and all available healing expended later, they successfully made it through the module with no deaths! A decently successful one-shot, I daresay! ...So successful, in fact, that they immediately pushed me into agreeing to run session 2, on the 22nd. So now I gotta figure out the heck that's gonna be.

Was kinda cute though... The after-session banter included the Rogue stating "Yeah, I'm pretty sure [Kagus] was trying to wipe us in that room there... But cunning action and sneak attack pulled through!", meanwhile I'm just smiling and going over in my head all the like 6-7 different things I did to desperately try and keep them alive for that fight :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!
« Reply #9289 on: December 10, 2023, 07:05:02 am »

Flee for your life

You are already 1 step closer to forever GM

On that note I nearly cried yesterday because I told a player who wanted to join my table to read the rules and make a character sheet... And they did the fucking madman

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9290 on: December 17, 2023, 06:41:38 am »

On that note I nearly cried yesterday because I told a player who wanted to join my table to read the rules and make a character sheet... And they did the fucking madman

Absolute insanity! Things were much more reasonable here; with me having to carefully walk two STEM professionals through the delicate process of adding your proficiency bonus and stat modifier to things! Although as a side note, the way 5E handles stats is completely nonsensical and I don't blame them in the slightest for getting confused by it.

Me: "Alright, there are a few different places with digital character sheets that will do the calculations for you and can be easily adjusted and shared with me"

Sorceress: "No, I wanna print them out! I like paper."

And so she did. ...and then she also went and printed out THE ENTIRE SRD to have a copy of the rules with her. Has she read through it? Goodness no. But the paper is there, which is just as good obviously.

Also when I say "very squishy newbies", I mean the sorceress has an AC of 10 and not a single defensive spell or ability. The Wild Magic sorceress. Not what I was expecting of someone who's played as much BG3 on Tactician as she has :P

As an aside, I just went with a sort of nondescript disconnected reality for running the one-shot, since it gave me the topography I needed without having to get embroiled in established lore and locations, so we're technically officially off-Faerūn.

Because of this, I am now getting bombarded with questions about why isn't it Faerūn, how many continents are there, is it mostly land or water, how many cities are in the country we're in, what are they all called etc... So there's been a lot of "Does your character know? No? Then shut yer gob" as I hastily try and patch together something resembling the city which they are going to be arriving in next session.

And only after getting started on making the damn thing myself, did I hear about Procgen Arcana for slapping together a framework/inspiration for the dang thing... Meh.

At least I've made some progress on the main thing; which is getting a basic gist of how things can potentially move forward from the variety of options that will be available to them once in the city.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9291 on: December 17, 2023, 03:14:01 pm »

Absolute insanity! Things were much more reasonable here; with me having to carefully walk two STEM professionals through the delicate process of adding your proficiency bonus and stat modifier to things! Although as a side note, the way 5E handles stats is completely nonsensical and I don't blame them in the slightest for getting confused by it.
I had a player who graduated 1st class biochemistry and had an MBA tell me that calculating degrees of success was too complicated

You just divide by 10

And so she did. ...and then she also went and printed out THE ENTIRE SRD to have a copy of the rules with her. Has she read through it? Goodness no. But the paper is there, which is just as good obviously.
It's like a bible. You just use it to slap demons and inspire confidence in the soul

Because of this, I am now getting bombarded with questions about why isn't it Faerūn, how many continents are there, is it mostly land or water, how many cities are in the country we're in, what are they all called etc... So there's been a lot of "Does your character know? No? Then shut yer gob" as I hastily try and patch together something resembling the city which they are going to be arriving in next session.
I remember once one of my DMs had pure suffering when he set up some open world sandbox campaign that started with a cool prison break from a skyship prison. When we crash-landed, we had the option of going West (the place half the party was enslaved in) North (to the place the other half of the party was enslaved in) or East (the place we were being sent to and now fugitives from). So we all agreed it was the best choice to go south, into the deserts, where at least we would only have to worry about dying of thirst instead of being constantly on the run.

Our DM asked us in a very sad voice; "really?"

The desert was the one place he thought we wouldn't go and did no preparation for. Out of politeness we decided suddenly that perhaps going East was reasonable for reasons we could discover later

[it did not turn out reasonable]
[we were treated as fugitives on the run]

At least I've made some progress on the main thing; which is getting a basic gist of how things can potentially move forward from the variety of options that will be available to them once in the city.
ya always about presenting interesting choices for players. If it's not an interesting choice I just give it as free description

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9292 on: December 17, 2023, 03:42:03 pm »

Aye; the way I see it, there are predominantly three main things they'll want to/wind up doing once they're in town. Most likely, they'll follow one of the other caravan passengers to the rich uncle the guy promised would be able to reward the party for the guy's son. Next likely, they'll try and find somewhere to suss out what exactly this shiny magic sword they've picked up is supposed to be. Least, they'll try and find the alchemist they shook down during the wagon ride to see if he has more stuff they can bully him for.

Now, each of those eventualities has something approaching a direction to go in if they actually take that choice... Uncle scoffs and tries to get them to prove their worth by fixing up some business in the woods out west, sword-researching will point them to the mage college which should lead to them meeting a researcher trying to get an expedition into the ruined undercity down below, and the alchemist will be pissed as hell to see their faces again so calls in some contacts from the main thieves guild to teach them a lesson.

Each of those three can lead to the party getting wind that things be fucky-wucky as of late, in one aspect or another... While potentially opening up opportunities to do other things with more short-term goals than the core reveal, which I'm hoping to push back for quite a while as they're nowhere near ready to deal with something like that yet, either as characters or as players...

And it's all stuff that can stick around for after they focus on one of the other branches, so I've got some content backlog as buffer! ...and if they just piss off and do something else entirely, well, at least I won't have to come up with anything important :P

I do of course fear that I'm overprepping, but I'm still just bleedingly fresh out of the oven and these are concrete examples I want to have answers to if approached.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9293 on: December 18, 2023, 05:20:48 am »

No such thing as overprepping when your players have free rein to go off rails. It's like your job is to be a libertarian road builder; prepare for off-road dirt track racing across the known world

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9294 on: December 22, 2023, 05:58:20 am »

Eh, I mean... Yes, but also no from a certain point of view. "Overprep" in my mind is more "spending time and energy prepping stuff that cannot/will not actually become relevant", and since I'm still a wee babby I do not yet trust in my ability to make shit up on the fly (or have resources to just pull from as such), so I try and make content ahead of time for all the things I think I might need to run semi-sensibly. Which is also definitely not a streamlined process at the moment.

Game time in a few hours, so it's nice that I was up until 1:30 last night working out what this continent, kingdom, and region are called. ...crap, still need a name for the world at large :P Ah well.

In other news, the absolute hilarity of Xanathar's random encounter tables. What the shit. Oh yeah, an appropriate grassland encounter for a level 1-5 party is... A CR8 T-Rex. Or possibly even worse, 1d2 couatls, who punch so high above their weight class it's not even funny. Sure, couatls are at least lawful good intelligent critters who are perfectly fine with peacable resolutions... But the party either has to be aware of what these things are or naturally good-natured, because if shit does go down you're up against something which will not only wipe the floor with most every challenger, it also has a base flying speed that casually keeps pace with a rogue double-dashing...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9295 on: December 22, 2023, 08:53:02 am »

...crap, still need a name for the world at large :P Ah well.
Dlrow is a classic. Maybe fancy it up a bit so it looks more like a word, or just roll with it :P

... though Dlrow Egralta actually looks a lot like a decent fantasy name. Might not even have to change anything.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9296 on: December 22, 2023, 03:59:58 pm »

Yeah, I'm thinking of probably going a bit more Spansk-oriented with a "Mundo" or "Orb of Mundo" angle... But who knows! I haven't been asked yet, so there's still room for fuckery!

Tonight's session went quite well! The party accomplished absolutely nothing! Not a single one of my three threads, despite knocking into barely two of the three potentials...  No combats, just a lot of RP and fucking about. Glorious stuff! And now they're not only endebted to the one, they're also formally associated with the other and directly associated with the third, so they're multiple directions of fucked for next session!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9297 on: December 23, 2023, 11:09:10 am »

I'm a staunch member of the "a given piece of content should take less time to prep than it does to run" but that can take a while to get into.  It's mandatory for sanity though.  I know the critical role guy says the opposite but DMing is his job so his situation is entirely different.

I'm kind of variable on giving players freedom.  On one hand yes you have to that's what D&D is, but I think there's an unwritten social contract here and one end of it is not making the DM's job impossible.  I will occasionally tell my players "okay I don't have anything prepped for that avenue so put a pin in it for the moment and we can come back to that later."

At the same time, you usually have a good feel for what the players are going to do in a given situation. Some more than others.  If your adventure starts with orcs attacking the local puppy orphanage, for most groups you don't need to prep anything for the players joining up with the orcs because most groups won't even think of doing that. You can compare it to like Baldur's Gate 3 (and why I think it's a bad idea to look at video games as an example of how to structure an adventure). If you were prepping BG3 for a tabletop campaign it'd be perfectly reasonable to spend zero time on the "players join minthara and attack the refugees" storyline because they're almost certainly not going to take that path. And if they do intend to take it, you'll probably have advance warning that they're that kind of group and can start prepping it after it's clear they're going to.

Though that can also be a problem. I've played with a lot of people who, for various reasons, take the DM's presentation of the world as a coded message on what they're supposed to do. And will never do things out of the ordinary.  Or will even openly discuss my description of the situation like they're trying to figure out what I want them to do.  Or even ask me! Very few things get me as salty/discouraged as a player just openly saying "so we're supposed to do X right?" Last game I actually explicitly forbid my players from asking me that and wouldn't even reply.

That got kind of meandering. What it boils down to is I think ideally players have freedom to solve situations however they feel is appropriate within the bounds of the adventure.  It's not against the rules to say "don't do that yet please" if they ask to do something completely outside what you're prepared to run.

As far as designing what you are prepared to run goes I like to design a sort of toolbox rather than a story.  Defining all the characters, their goals and resources for achieving those goals, the important locations, etc.  And a rough timeline of what will happen if the players never get involved (which should always be one of the worst possible outcomes, because otherwise there's no need for heroic intervention).  Then it's like...

1. Trigger inciting event/situation that hooks the players.
2. Players respond to the inciting event and then go about interacting with your situation.
3. Consider how this affects your timeline, how the major NPCs' goals are advanced/hindered
4. Decide their response to this. Do they seek the PCs' help? Do they try to manipulate them, or try to neutralize them?
5. If the NPCs' have new goals, figure out how they go about achieving them using the resources they have
6. Adjust your timeline accordingly (I did say rough right? Keep the timeline rough because every player action will alter it)

I always recommend this.  Adventure writing is a complicated balance between giving the players freedom to chart their own path while at the same time not driving yourself insane or making the game aimless.  Those articles all give a lot of good advice on balancing it properly.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 11:24:14 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9298 on: December 24, 2023, 05:48:40 am »

I'm a staunch member of the "a given piece of content should take less time to prep than it does to run" but that can take a while to get into.  It's mandatory for sanity though.  I know the critical role guy says the opposite but DMing is his job so his situation is entirely different.
Yeah, or at the very least if you're taking the time to prep it have it be something you would enjoy regardless of the outcome. It can't be helped that sometimes you come up with some gordian knot mystery and the players find some way to cut straight through it

I'm kind of variable on giving players freedom.  On one hand yes you have to that's what D&D is, but I think there's an unwritten social contract here and one end of it is not making the DM's job impossible.  I will occasionally tell my players "okay I don't have anything prepped for that avenue so put a pin in it for the moment and we can come back to that later."
I just see it as running one of three types of games

-Quest, go do a thing. Fairly easy to keep on the rails organically
-Narrative, players jump through a sequence of connected events. Middling ease
-Open world, players set their own goals. No rails
So I ask my players ahead of time what kind of game they want (and make sure to establish what they mean because I've had tremendously painful experiences with every player asking for open world when they wanted a quest).

Though that can also be a problem. I've played with a lot of people who, for various reasons, take the DM's presentation of the world as a coded message on what they're supposed to do. And will never do things out of the ordinary.  Or will even openly discuss my description of the situation like they're trying to figure out what I want them to do.  Or even ask me! Very few things get me as salty/discouraged as a player just openly saying "so we're supposed to do X right?" Last game I actually explicitly forbid my players from asking me that and wouldn't even reply.
1 trillion percent in agreement. I've had two players do this and both were used to DMing 5e on their own tables where they had solutions players were supposed to find, things players were supposed to do, and were not accustomed to RPing as a character - more like moving pieces

It's not against the rules to say "don't do that yet please" if they ask to do something completely outside what you're prepared to run.
Hahaha I once asked my players "I don't mind if you exterminatus the entire planet but in character and out of character, have a great reason to do it before you do it. Otherwise all of my notes go up in nuclear fire without anyone seeing it."

As far as designing what you are prepared to run goes I like to design a sort of toolbox rather than a story.  Defining all the characters, their goals and resources for achieving those goals, the important locations, etc.  And a rough timeline of what will happen if the players never get involved (which should always be one of the worst possible outcomes, because otherwise there's no need for heroic intervention).  Then it's like...

1. Trigger inciting event/situation that hooks the players.
2. Players respond to the inciting event and then go about interacting with your situation.
3. Consider how this affects your timeline, how the major NPCs' goals are advanced/hindered
4. Decide their response to this. Do they seek the PCs' help? Do they try to manipulate them, or try to neutralize them?
5. If the NPCs' have new goals, figure out how they go about achieving them using the resources they have
6. Adjust your timeline accordingly (I did say rough right? Keep the timeline rough because every player action will alter it)

I always recommend this.  Adventure writing is a complicated balance between giving the players freedom to chart their own path while at the same time not driving yourself insane or making the game aimless.  Those articles all give a lot of good advice on balancing it properly.
This is all how I do it, with two additions. 1. Interesting choices, 2. Interesting fights.

Interesting choices make up the most time-sink of the non-numbers crunch prepwork for me. But whenever players are exploring, if there are no interesting choices to make I just describe the exploration to them. If there is an interesting choice to be made (e.g. take the short, quick and dangerous route, or the long and time consuming but safe route) then I work on adding the atmospheric description stuff and populating their choices with obvious obstacles & rewards. Meeting new people, I think what interesting choices can I add here. What can these people do for my players, both positive and hostile.

The interesting fights is really just a continuation of this design philosophy. So traps aren't hidden, but shown. Many of them are not even things players would recognise as traps. E.g. a shallow pool with a hungry gator sitting by it. A cauldron full of acid or a rotten floorboard that looks like it's going to collapse. Players have great fun trying to bypass or take advantage of these kinds of things, so the more information and meaningful choices they get the better. I also use Dwarf Fortress personality traits and combat lethality as a rough brush to get an idea for more important NPCs (I use a table that auto-rolls their traits) whilst for the generic NPC templates I just scribble down the important stuff like "these dock workers are fiercely loyal to their foreman" or "the office workers are despondent and visibly exhausted."

For the combat notes I put what kind of combat actions they're likely to take. A kill-team squad is going to behave very differently from a mob of zombies, a panicked mob of servants, a chaos champion or an elite bounty hunter team. E.g:

-Kill team squad is fiercely loyal and well-organised. They are very resourceful and very tolerant of casualties, but will not leave injured soldiers behind. When they encountered my players, their vanguard breached the room with armoured shields, smoke grenades and las carbines. Behind them were elite riflemen armed with hellguns, bringing with them an anti-aircraft servitor equipped with hydra flak cannons. The men with the las carbines and the flak would keep suppressive fire on enemy targets while the men with the hell guns would take careful aim and place kill shots. Whilst the riflemen placed kill shots, the men with the las carbines would push the battle line forward, throwing grenades at anyone in cover. Their objective, which they prioritised above all else, was to extract the noble patriarch - the same target the players were trying to eliminate.

-The mob of zombies is fearless but hollow. The most intelligent plan it is still capable of is pretending to be dead, picking up a rock or a pipe as a weapon, or pleading for help. Their objective is to shamble towards whoever is healthy and make more zombies. If they don't see anyone healthy they just imitate what they did when they were still sane to the best of their ability, going through the motions of cooking/working/conversing e.t.c.
Despite being weak, will always try to finish off any players who are injured or downed first, so players don't treat them light heartedly! I also used DF logic on undead... Which is to say that removing the head usually killed the zombie, but not always. That came as quite a shock ;]

-The panicked mob of servants I just use to stat any servant NPC they encounter in the palace. If one of these poor lads or ladies ends up in combat, they do their best to dodge fire, run away from anyone melee and if possible, hide. If all else fails they will throw a vase at the offending attacker, and then try running away. If they have a gun, they will keep it for moral support, however they will not use it on a living person except as an absolute last resort [zombies count. Most of the zombies were people they knew].

-The chaos champion will attack the players if they're visibly armoured and armed. He'll alternate between all out attacks, swift jabs and will prefer to block their hits than dodge. He'll never escalate violence, and if players grapple him he'll contest to try and reverse the grapple. If players pass out from fatigue or surrender he stops the fight. Throughout the fight he'll talk about how much he loves his wif with all his lif, or how great the sun shining is, all whilst drop kicking them, charging into them, throwing them into walls. If he defeats them, he thanks them for a good fight and leaves. If they fight dishonourably, he draws his sword and starts fighting no holds quarter. If they fight honourably, defeat him, he requests to be slain. If they still spare him, he feels terribly ashamed and gives them a summoning stone if they ever need help dying gloriously in battle.

-The bounty hunter team will attempt to capture the players, kill anyone around them and get out. If they can't capture the players, will kill them. If the fight goes badly for them or lasts too long, will attempt a fighting retreat. Half-ogryn gunner will do the suppressive fire to keep them pinned and stop them flying around. The sniper will attempt to shoot out their power-armour from behind to disable their power packs, making capturing them easy. The scout will attempt to ambush them from concealment, hitting them with a haywire grenade to disable their power armour/weapons and then unload with his combat shotgun. Their boss will run in close with his webber pistol and needlegun if taking them alive is possible, otherwise he'll use his plasma pistol and bolt pistol. If they're able to capture even one of the players their comms guy will attempt to call for extraction. Comms guy will avoid combat at all costs. Boss man will not endanger his men if it's futile. His men will flee or surrender if the boss is killed.

All these little details give more flavour and colour to the world, in a way that also gives players more tactical choices and considerations. E.g. a large predatory bird is NOT okay to leave around downed players, as they will grab them and drag them back to its nest to feed to its young. Conversely, leaving downed players around an enemy black knight is fine, because for all their evil, they are a knight and have promised to look after their source of ransom.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9299 on: December 24, 2023, 06:37:15 am »

Yeah, I think a lot of it is just practice and getting the proper mental framework for what's necessary and what isn't. Like, while I want to provide the feeling of freedom from a "sandbox", I recognize that attempting to define every grain of sand is a fool's errand. On the flip side, I also recognize that one of the first things a player in a "sandbox" will do is try to find out where the walls are. Especially new players who have only just been introduced to the idea of TTRPGs.

I've played with a lot of people who, for various reasons, take the DM's presentation of the world as a coded message on what they're supposed to do. And will never do things out of the ordinary.  Or will even openly discuss my description of the situation like they're trying to figure out what I want them to do.  Or even ask me! Very few things get me as salty/discouraged as a player just openly saying "so we're supposed to do X right?" Last game I actually explicitly forbid my players from asking me that and wouldn't even reply.
I got some related questions/comments around last session... "Man, we're probably going WAY off the main plot now", and "So how far off the main plot are we?"

I just answered that "Whatever path you're on is the main plot", which is more or less the truth. Sure, they're not taking the path I'd designed the most content for, but it's still a path leading somewhere. And they've been plenty good about making their own content with the amount of nonsense they're getting up to...

As far as fixed timelines and other consequences are concerned, I... I dunno. Yes I do have some plans/ideas relating to that lined up, but I don't really feel comfortable being very strict with them given how this is legitimately the first TTRPG experience for 2/3rds of the party. I don't want to risk them feeling like they've been "gotcha'd" by not looking at the clock or "not finding the main plot".

I'm probably going to, again, try and give the impression that there's a ticking clock, but not actually hold an axe over their head until they notice it's actually there.
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 623