Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 920847 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #8625 on: March 19, 2021, 06:20:05 pm »

Object retains its kinetic energy between transformations, turning from a fast moving pebble into a relatively slow moving boulder which deals around the same amount of damage, maybe a little less due to a wider surface area.

Of course, this just means that you should get the barbarian or whoever's strongest to yeet a lead bowling ball as hard as she can, and then convert it into a very thin and light 5' wide monomolecular obsidian blade which is now moving extremely fast.

Yeah, as long as you're all playing the same rules, whatever they are, you can have some interesting effects from spells. Similar to the old 3.x rule where it was possible to shapeshift into any animal in the game. The question was if you retained your BAB (including number of attacks) so it was good to turn into a creature that had one big attack, or if you used the creatures and wanted to turn into something with a large number of attacks. Sadly, when asked, the devs always said it was the one not being asked about.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8626 on: March 19, 2021, 06:20:53 pm »

Object retains its kinetic energy between transformations, turning from a fast moving pebble into a relatively slow moving boulder which deals around the same amount of damage, maybe a little less due to a wider surface area.

Of course, this just means that you should get the barbarian or whoever's strongest to yeet a lead bowling ball as hard as she can, and then convert it into a very thin and light 5' wide monomolecular obsidian blade which is now moving extremely fast.

That's the realistic answer, but it's possible that objects mid-flight are stopped by the spell until the object is fully transformed. That would be the most balanced answer from a game mechanics perspective, but what's the point of playing an RPG if you can't immerse yourself in the physics of the world and discover new innovations? I mean that's what science is all about, finding physics exploits in the world. Have you heard of heat-pumps?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 06:23:26 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8627 on: March 19, 2021, 06:28:59 pm »

And even that just opens up a different trick- launching the pebbles above the enemy, then converting them to lead. JK- might as well use silver :D
(I forget adamantine's weight in dnd, I like to picture DF's feather light but very sharp weave)

What a strange interaction, I agree it's funny to think about.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8628 on: March 19, 2021, 07:43:02 pm »

Kobold's are my favorite race to play.
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8629 on: March 19, 2021, 09:42:26 pm »

Shouldn't it be "sunpai notice me"?
Love, scriver~

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8630 on: March 19, 2021, 09:47:01 pm »

sunpai

sunpai in a bottle
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8631 on: March 19, 2021, 10:01:03 pm »

Sunchan is best.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8632 on: March 19, 2021, 10:11:54 pm »

I'd suggest Sun-kun but only seems correct after it sets.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8633 on: March 19, 2021, 10:51:18 pm »

I love how I was like:

Kobold's are my favorite race to play.

But I've sprung up debate over my title. XD This and Estus flasks are the main reasons I wake up everyday.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8634 on: March 20, 2021, 05:54:55 am »

(I forget adamantine's weight in dnd, I like to picture DF's feather light but very sharp weave)

I'd gotten it into my head that it was super heavy for some reason, which is weird because I did play BG2 with the super slick Drow equipment... But according to Random Page I Just Found™, it's a bit lighter than steel.

So what you're really gonna want, if we're going for pure weight, is gold or platinum. Kill 'em with bling.

On a side note... I've been thinking a little about the XP system. In the limping wreckage of the current campaign I'm in, we're going off of "checkpoint" leveling, where the DM just decides on points in the story where we should level up, and then we do. And I can definitely get behind that way of doing things (our bard hasn't quite found his peace with it though, and therefore asks after every session "Did I level up? Have we leveled up yet?"), but I was wondering about potential alternatives to just making the DM have to come up with the pacing.

Kill XP is great fun for ARPGs, but I feel like it's missing the point for more open platforms like D&D. And for as messed up a system as it was, I can kinda appreciate the early version mechanics of gold = XP. But how do we go about tweaking that so that it doesn't lead to 1) Players squabbling even more over loot shares, or 2) Resulting in a double progression as they're gaining gold *and* XP at the same time and therefore increasing in power on two different fronts simultaneously.

I was wondering how it would end up working out if you had a sort of "communal account" that everyone in the party donated to, and every character in that party had their XP total equal the amount (of GP) in the account. Withdrawals could be made (which would reduce XP totals but not remove levels) for large purchases the group agreed upon, while every character donated what they had in excess and held on to whatever pocket change they felt they needed to have.

There are a couple interactions here that seem potentially undesirable... One is having players "game" the system by pooling all their cash in at once to hit a new level threshold, then taking the money back out to spend it. This is slightly compensated for by the fact that they'd need to make it all back again anyways to hit the next level after that, but it's still worth mentioning.

The other is having players "mooch" and not donate anything from their personal stash, instead relying on the rest of the party to donate gold for their own XP progression. Hopefully their greed for progression would make them donate to speed up their own leveling, but I do think it's a concern.

I just like having more "flexible" resources like wealth get used for character progression, because there are a great many ways of making money... But killing something just about always involves killing something.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8635 on: March 20, 2021, 10:26:08 am »

I'd just split the entire party income as XP across the entire party equally, regardless of who's physically carrying it much less spending it.  Much like they worked together to kill that troll and would get equal XP from it, they 'worked together' to earn that loot paycheck today.

On 2), if anything in classic D&D leveling was a lot slower.  Keep in mind most all monsters offered pitiful XP rewards for killing them.  A goblin in 1st ed is worth maybe 15xp, split across the entire party, where in 3rd ed he's worth up to 100. A 1st ed Ogre Magi is about 437xp, in 3rd its around 2,400 (if met at 8th level like CR suggests).  Consider also that more monster abilities, especially poison for example, were more save-or-die, so that was another reason to maybe avoid combat.

Also, more XP was needed per level up, and each class leveled up at a different rate.  Thief was the fastest at about 1,500 for level 2, while wizard was much slower.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8636 on: March 21, 2021, 02:40:43 pm »

So an idea which has been in my head lately is the idea of a Gladiator campaign, with the players all being members of a gladiatorial stable in a decent sized city, competing for fame, fortune and the amusement of the masses.

My thought would be to arrange the arena into seasons, with each season consisting of a mix of non-lethal fights against other gladiators, deathmatches with convicts, wild beasts and monsters, farcical challenges involving ridiculous scenarios like competing with another team to catch rodeo clowns, fighting puppet recreations of historical glories and folktales and other such events, leading up to a grand finale with a huge elaborate battle like that one where the romans flooded the colliseum and put two galleys in it and had gladiators fight a pretend naval battle.

On the side would be the more civilian aspect of being a gladiator, inter-personal drama within the team and with the other teams, drama with the manager, further drama with the owner, doing sponsored public appearances representing olive oil, wine or the latest fashion in sandals, attending the parties (and possibly bedrooms) of the rich and powerful who've taken a shine to the character(s), debauched nights on the town after a big win. All that fun stuff.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8637 on: March 21, 2021, 02:48:22 pm »

That sounds very fun.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8638 on: March 21, 2021, 05:02:57 pm »

That sounds very fun.

Seconding this. Although, be prepared to hear "Are you not entertained?" more times than you're ready to count.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8639 on: March 21, 2021, 11:54:10 pm »

Is that not why we are here?!
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 623