Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 919359 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #7606 on: December 16, 2019, 06:26:18 pm »

The link doesn't work for me.  I have a Facebook account but I'm probably not logged in, and also I'd rather have a screenshot than a direct link to Facebook, if it's all the same to you.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7607 on: December 16, 2019, 06:46:25 pm »

It's a video so screenshots are blah but here you go.

Not pictured, the Arby's branded d20.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 06:49:50 pm by Mephisto »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7608 on: December 17, 2019, 04:46:28 am »

Doesn't having steps like that make it easier to manipulate what face face upwards when it comes out?
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7609 on: December 17, 2019, 05:01:14 am »

somebody needs to invent a pop-o-matic-bubble that you can open and insert whatever number or kind of dice into.

I've seen videos of people that surgically extracted the one from a Trouble!(tm) board game, but fitting the correct numbers and types of dice inside for each situation is not really doable with that solution.

One with pop-off cap on top would be ideal if it was large enough. (high level chars can have absurd numbers of hit dice, so lots of room inside is needed.)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7610 on: December 17, 2019, 05:18:09 am »

Yes please. Screw rolling boxes - this is what I want for Christmas.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7611 on: December 17, 2019, 06:21:25 am »

for some reason I am reminded of a thing I came up with when visiting my friend a few months ago.  Bear in mind I have made no effort whatsoever to flesh this out, it's just a nebulous concept at the moment, but all the same:

if you and your group dont want to commit to a long and drawn out campaign, you could try something like this:  everyone puts an idea for a random encounter on a bit of paper, along with a kind of dice, and a number appropriate for it.  This includes loot finds, monsers, etc, and also character templates. The idea is to do a mad-libs kind of random one-off session. Absurd actions, loot items, and outcomes are ENCOURAGED. we are talking things like "Traveling Drow televangelist" and "gnomish interior decorator" level of absurd here. once you have all the batshit crazy from your players collected and organized in your notebook, you load up a bingo tumbler with as many whole bags of dice as will reliably fit inside. 

Now, rules are fast and loose. no rule lawyering, since this is meant to be pure silly.  To start, each player rolls the tumbler to determine what they are playing as (die value and type together determine, based on what the players threw down earlier.) Once everyone knows what they are playing as, the DM tumbles and collects a die from the tumbler to state the current objective. (again, the type and value determine).  then rolls again for the first encounter.

each player gets a turn, each drawing a random die from the tumbler. Regardless of how absurd the drawn die, that is what determines how effective your chosen action was.  at the monster's turn, a die is selected which determines its action and outcome.  When the players vanquish the monster or finish the encounter,  a draw from the tumbler is made for loot.  this continues until either everyone dies spectacularly, or the tumbler runs dry.

This kind of thing is intended for "everyone but a few people cant make it this week" type nights, where you want some fun, but dont want to progress a campain.

I am sure there are problems with the idea, it's just a nebulous concept after all.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 06:39:47 am by wierd »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7612 on: December 17, 2019, 11:52:47 am »

somebody needs to invent a pop-o-matic-bubble that you can open and insert whatever number or kind of dice into.

I've seen videos of people that surgically extracted the one from a Trouble!(tm) board game, but fitting the correct numbers and types of dice inside for each situation is not really doable with that solution.

One with pop-off cap on top would be ideal if it was large enough. (high level chars can have absurd numbers of hit dice, so lots of room inside is needed.)

How about taking a hamster ball and gluing a flat piece of cardboard to the bottom, opposite the cap?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7613 on: December 17, 2019, 11:53:51 am »

One of those dog toys that rolls out candy when rolled?

Bonus if it's in the shape of a big die with small dice coming out of it
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7614 on: December 17, 2019, 11:59:01 am »

How about taking a hamster ball and gluing a flat piece of cardboard to the bottom, opposite the cap?

You need the thing that rolls them. I'm not sure what makes the pop-o-matic bubble work, but I'm guessing it's the metal being flexed (by some object beneath it) the opposite way it's formed, and bouncing back.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7615 on: December 17, 2019, 12:00:37 pm »

How is that better than just shaking the whole thing, though, particularly when you may well have dice piled on top of each other?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7616 on: December 17, 2019, 12:13:01 pm »

How is that better than just shaking the whole thing, though, particularly when you may well have dice piled on top of each other?

Nothing? It's a conversation about dice towers, which are the most difficult way to keep people from controlling the dice rolls. Those old felt-lined cups were the best solution, and always will be. We're just looking for a particularly complicated type of lesser solution.

Edit: Someone create a Rube Goldberg gimmick account, I've got an idea...

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7617 on: December 18, 2019, 01:22:07 pm »

Character suggestion: A tabaxi who is a human otherkin (To clarify, it is a tabaxi, but it identifies as human). Probably shaves its fur.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7618 on: December 18, 2019, 01:50:15 pm »

Character suggestion: A tabaxi who is a human otherkin (To clarify, it is a tabaxi, but it identifies as human). Probably shaves its fur.

If tabaxi have breeds like real cats do and there's a tabaxi-sphynx, is this basically unintentional blackface?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7619 on: December 18, 2019, 01:56:29 pm »

Nothing? It's a conversation about dice towers, which are the most difficult way to keep people from controlling the dice rolls. Those old felt-lined cups were the best solution, and always will be. We're just looking for a particularly complicated type of lesser solution.

Edit: Someone create a Rube Goldberg gimmick account, I've got an idea...
If you're tricky, you can stack your dice in those cups. It's just harder.
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 623