Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 919356 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #7155 on: August 19, 2019, 06:10:05 pm »

I am reminded of a line from Roald Dahl's "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator"...

"It is very difficult to phone people in China, Mr. President," said the Postmaster General, "The country is so full of Wings and Wongs, every time you wing you get the wong number."
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7156 on: August 19, 2019, 06:28:44 pm »

I'm reminded of a D&D greentext where a town had a talking golem who would introduce themself with "I am Gender, I am a social construct".
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7157 on: August 21, 2019, 06:42:44 am »

Been playing BattleMech vidya game. It was based on an RPG or a table top wargame right?

I want to play that now. But instead of fighting, I want the game to be 90% great GM narrating how our battle mech assault pods crash through the atmosphere towards the battlefield below with cheese 80's music blaring in the background.
Love, scriver~

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7158 on: August 21, 2019, 08:01:29 am »

Bah. BattleTech has nothing on Mobile Frame Zero: Firebrands. Is it even an RPG if you can't seduce your enemies out of their mechs?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7159 on: August 25, 2019, 07:26:04 am »

So Pathfinder 2e has been out for nearly a month now, apparently. I hadn't noticed, but I'm not exactly ear to the ground on rpg matters so no big surprise. What do you guys feel about it?

Bah. BattleTech has nothing on Mobile Frame Zero: Firebrands. Is it even an RPG if you can't seduce your enemies out of their mechs?

...Do they... Do they pop out of the cockpit like a steamy champagne cork?
Love, scriver~

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7160 on: August 26, 2019, 05:00:09 am »

I tried it during their free playtest, got a feel for the core mechanics they were building, and decided it wasn't for me. It heavily restricted character build options, immensely scaled back access to both magic items and spells per day, and generally didn't feel as fun for me.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7161 on: August 26, 2019, 10:16:28 am »

I have it.

Haven't had a chance to run or play it yet, though I'm gearing up for it - currently waiting for some preliminary updates/errata to the CRB and Bestiary come out, as well as the Lost Omens World Guide (the new world lore book that was meant to come out on Aug 1 alongside the others but was pushed to this Wednesday), and I'm gonna start my group off with the Fall of Plaguestone adventure.

So far we really like how things are looking, though only actual play will tell how it all works in practice, but most people seem to agree that a lot of the initial issues from the playtest were ironed out (though spells are still weaker than in 1e days, but honestly it deserved that to some extent - if you want powerful, long-lasting magic, you'd be looking at rituals, but their core rulebook selection is pretty small).

I think it'll do fine, but 4e also did decent for the first couple years supposedly before going belly-up. So I'd hold off for another year or so and for major supplements (which were already announced) like the Gamemastery Guide and the Advanced Player's Guide to come out before ultimately writing it off.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7162 on: August 27, 2019, 03:55:48 am »

Interesting. How do you feel they went with solving the "costs a feat slot for anything cool" issue? One of the major issues I had with the new system was that classes didn't really get that much from anything other than 1st level, and your feat slots were pretty much the only way to customize your build, and then only every other level.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7163 on: August 27, 2019, 08:35:32 am »

All classes get at least three feats every two levels when you factor in ancestry and skill feats. Seems like pretty insane customizability to me.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7164 on: August 27, 2019, 10:21:19 am »

The ancestry feats are all remarkably 'meh' in my book. Used to be you got that stuff just for being that race. You're human? Oh, you get to pick either a bonus feat or bonus skills. You're half-orc? It'll cost you a feat to get darkvision. Seems like they took a bunch of stuff away just so they could sell it back you you piecemeal.

Skill feats are better but still underwhelming. If I was a Barbarian in 1st edition, I'd be getting either a general feat or a rage power every level. I could double down on combat or skills depending on my preference. There's no such flexibility in 2nd edition, where combat and class powers are gated to every second level, and the other levels must be spent on skills.

That's not even getting into the bottleneck that occurs if you want to take an archetype.

Also, don't even get me started on the silliness around crafting items. You want to have a wizard that can write scrolls? He'll need to lug around a 1 bulk formula book (that's probably 20% of his carrying capacity), and gaining the crafting feat only lets him scribe four different types of scrolls. He then needs to pay for learning the formula for any other spells he has in his spellbook that he wants to write before he can scribe them.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7165 on: August 29, 2019, 10:25:21 pm »

A buddy of mine played Pathfinder 2e and said, ' you know how Pathfinder is DnD 3.75? Pathfinder 2e is DnD 3.9'

Ultimately he was satisfied, but felt it has ignored advancements the market has made. Fun, but bulky and slow.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7166 on: August 29, 2019, 10:29:36 pm »

Ultimately he was satisfied, but felt it has ignored advancements the market has made. Fun, but bulky and slow.
I mean. That's what Pathfinder is supposed to be yes? D&D but eternally 3.5ish?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7167 on: August 30, 2019, 09:16:47 am »

My dream of playing a modded Minecraft beekeeper in a tabletop RPG is now within reach. Pictured: One of the doohickeys you can buy during character creation in the crunchy and forgettable RPG from the early '00s, Fates Worse Than Death.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7168 on: August 30, 2019, 04:16:13 pm »

Attack bees you say

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7169 on: August 30, 2019, 08:41:22 pm »

I just want to reference The Pain from MGS 3 or specifically how he acts in Last Days of Foxhound but I don't know how to do it justice.
Like... he's covered in bees.  That's his concept.  It's awesome.  I know it doesn't sound awesome but it is.
Sometimes, sometimes he summons grenades made of bees, or a gun made of bees that fires bees, what more do you want

ilovebees
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 623