Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 920850 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6810 on: March 29, 2019, 12:53:48 pm »

It's good for a comedy game, or using the character generation rules and making up your own game.

Is that really an endorsement?

Sometimes, that's all you've got.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6811 on: March 29, 2019, 01:01:28 pm »

IME I kinda hate the sheer amount of plot I had to dump on the players before we could really even do character gen.  All the different factions and how they hate each other but particularly this faction, all the different ways you coulda became special and what that means, what the moral meter is and what that means, yadda yadda yadda.

Granted, it was genius the transgression, but I don't see how its much better with the actual powers.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6812 on: March 29, 2019, 01:07:07 pm »

IME I kinda hate the sheer amount of plot I had to dump on the players before we could really even do character gen.  All the different factions and how they hate each other but particularly this faction, all the different ways you coulda became special and what that means, what the moral meter is and what that means, yadda yadda yadda.

Granted, it was genius the transgression, but I don't see how its much better with the actual powers.
Psst... Hey, hey kid...

Wanna buy some Legend of the Five Rings?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6813 on: March 29, 2019, 01:10:22 pm »

GtT was also among the most plot-heavy fan splats, though in fairness the Catalysts didn't need the players to understand the factions in order to pick one and as I recall the Foundations were optional. Most WoD books were like that; Vampire, for example, didn't require an understanding of the Camarilla to have the player decide their particular neonate was a Gangrel or something. (I was always fond of making them unintentional shovelheads, myself.)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6814 on: March 29, 2019, 01:23:48 pm »

I will say that Demons the Possessed was imbalanced as all-get-out.  Basically unfinished.  It was still fun to play, but we basically had infinite willpower (due to a dot of Pride each) and once I maximized Sloth, I was using Intelligence for every roll.  We were fighting angels and the military, and winning, until the ST got bored and hit us with a RPG.  Was a fun ride though!

Our solution for Vampire was that the city was ruled by Invictus, so we mainly worked for/with them.  A few sessions later we were sent to work with quasi-allies the Lancea Sanctum.  Carthians were played for a joke, occasionally showing up at Elysium parties acting like that one guy who's evangelical about Bitcoin.  We eventually learned more about them, but only after several months (they just weren't powerful in the city).

Circle of the Crone never even came up in our time playing, and we met exactly one Ordo Dracul member (technically early on, but he only revealed his allegiance towards the end of our campaign).

Notable: WoD loves specifying things too much, and ends up with hilarious results like "vampires are 1/100,000 people" because half of the types of vampires aren't allowed to take powers that let them feed secretly, so they're just kidnapper/murderers, combined with "there are 13 types of vampires, each type has factions, and some of those have subfactions with a dozen ranks with multiple vampires in them per town." Which is fine, as long as your city has (quick calculation) at least 150 million people, give or take.
Heh, yeah there's some of that.  But not every weird bloodline or faction has to exist in every city.  It wouldn't make sense logically, but it'd also be a ridiculous narrative to try to fit them all in at once.  I don't think Seattle has many Brujah, now that they're a Mexican biker gang.  And a landlocked city probably doesn't have that bloodline based around drowning.  (Or maybe it does, because vampires are sneaky that way!  Depends on the story.)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6815 on: March 29, 2019, 01:35:25 pm »

Ooh, drowning bloodline? Why do I suddenly want to write a deep south baptist vampire campaign

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6816 on: March 29, 2019, 01:36:58 pm »

Yeah, most cities will have fewer vampires than average, with only one or two bloodlines. Those just aren't the cities you'll want to play in, usually. It could be fun to do that, though. You could play up the feudal metaphor by letting players each be prince of some smaller community (possibly including a substantial geographic range, if you set the game in, for example, the central US, or Australia) with most politics and whatnot happening in those major cities where the setting usually focuses.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6817 on: March 29, 2019, 02:56:12 pm »

Finally read the Sith Janitor story, and that was pretty great.  I can also totally see how that could cause a ton of butt hurt among the players so I'd never try it myself, but it was still a fun read.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6818 on: March 29, 2019, 02:57:14 pm »

Ooh, drowning bloodline? Why do I suddenly want to write a deep south baptist vampire campaign

Somehow based around the "original sin" of ol Cain?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6819 on: March 29, 2019, 03:40:13 pm »

Finally read the Sith Janitor story, and that was pretty great.  I can also totally see how that could cause a ton of butt hurt among the players so I'd never try it myself, but it was still a fun read.

This got me curious and I searched it out. Awesome. Just awesome.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6820 on: March 30, 2019, 03:32:42 pm »

Somehow based around the "original sin" of ol Cain?

Dude yes. The plot's basically writing itself at this point.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6821 on: March 30, 2019, 03:40:10 pm »

So, they cause agricultural blight everywhere they go (God's curse on Cain was that the earth would never again yield a bounty to him; So, if these vampires are associated with that, then every plant they come across must wither up into nothing.), have a clearly visible mark on them, and anyone that strikes them down will suffer a divine curse?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6822 on: March 31, 2019, 11:10:27 am »

So, they cause agricultural blight everywhere they go (God's curse on Cain was that the earth would never again yield a bounty to him; So, if these vampires are associated with that, then every plant they come across must wither up into nothing.), have a clearly visible mark on them, and anyone that strikes them down will suffer a divine curse?

Well, no, not necessarily. For one thing, the first part of Cain's curse was that, should he farm the land, it would yield no produce for him specifically. If you want the NIV translation, "When you work the ground, it will no longer yield its crops for you." (emphasis mine) Vampires not being able to digest plants ticks that box even if the crops grow. For another, "א֔וֹת" doesn't necessarily mean a physical mark; it can also be a sign or an omen or something mystical. VtM vampires' detectable auras probably qualify. In any event, depending on interpretation, the purpose of the second part of the curse was a ward against premature death to ensure he had time to repent/serve as an example, so vampiric immortality would fit that.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 11:12:24 am by Trekkin »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6823 on: April 01, 2019, 07:57:40 am »

Bought a bunch of classic RuneQuest shit yesterday just because one of the items on sale was SoloQuest. Despite not playing more than one solo encounter, I think I may be "the RuneQuest guy." Excepting "Elric of Melniboné", I've got stuff from every version including pre- and post-rebrand Legend and Mythras.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6824 on: April 01, 2019, 10:18:28 am »

It's good for a comedy game, or using the character generation rules and making up your own game.

Is that really an endorsement?

It's not a glowing endorsement, but it's a reason to play. Why do you think Paranoia exists?
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 623