Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 921595 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #5985 on: October 29, 2018, 01:29:39 pm »

Velociducktor
Love, scriver~

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5986 on: October 29, 2018, 01:35:33 pm »

How the fuck do four 1st levels defeat a pack of Velociraptors?
They're size Tiny, so I think DnD velociraptors are actually compsognathuses... At best.

Still though.

I'm looking at the stats right now.  They're no pushovers, tiny or not.  Each of them can have as much HP as a level 1 fighter, and if at least two can gang up one guy that's four +4 attacks with advantage.  Should have no problem blending up the party one at a time.

Keeping in mind the difficulty exp scaling from multiple enemies, three velociraptors would be considered a "hard" encounter for 4 first level party members (an assessment I'd agree with). Two would be considered an easy encounter (once again, I think I could agree with that.) For how strong they are on the offense they'll go down to an attack or two. If they get the drop on the party it could be dangerous if they go after the squishier members first, but the tougher and harder hitting members like a fighter or barbarian will make pretty short work of them. If the party strikes first the raptors are fucked as they get blasted away by ranged attacks and even melee with their relatively slow speed meaning the melee PCs can close and attack on the same turn.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 01:37:28 pm by Criptfeind »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5987 on: October 29, 2018, 01:38:17 pm »

How the fuck do four 1st levels defeat a pack of Velociraptors?
They're size Tiny, so I think DnD velociraptors are actually compsognathuses... At best.

Still though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Giant death beast they ain't
Never doubt a bird's capacity to be an asshole.

So Compy was roughly 1m in length (snout to tail tip), Velociraptor was 2m, and Deinonychus (which was apparently also what was being described in the book with the wrong name, and the film just kept the fraud going for source accuracy) is 3m.

Seems like a pretty good Tiny, Small, Medium progression to me.

Keeping in mind the difficulty exp scaling from multiple enemies, three velociraptors would be considered a "hard" encounter for 4 first level party members (an assessment I'd agree with). Two would be considered an easy encounter (once again, I think I could agree with that.) For how strong they are on the offense they'll go down to an attack or two. If they get the drop on the party it could be dangerous if they go after the squishier members first, but the tougher and harder hitting members like a fighter or barbarian will make pretty short work of them. If the party strikes first the raptors are fucked as they get blasted away by ranged attacks and even melee with their relatively slow speed meaning the melee PCs can close and attack on the same turn.

So, would you say it's still reasonable for a 5th-level character to be able to summon 8 of them, twice a day?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5988 on: October 29, 2018, 01:40:35 pm »

I might be still thinking in 3.5 ed CR.  But CR has always been a bit of a hot mess so who knows.

So, would you say it's still reasonable for a 5th-level character to be able to summon 8 of them, twice a day?

A 5th level could fireball 8 of them about twice a day.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5989 on: October 29, 2018, 02:04:27 pm »

A 5th level could fireball 8 of them about twice a day.
Okay, so 8 giant bats instead. Gotcha. 4d10 hitpoints, 60' flying movement and 16 DEX.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5990 on: October 29, 2018, 02:18:39 pm »

Realizing that DnD has fairly accurate, small velociraptors and remembering that XKCD makes me suddenly really want to run a campaign about dinosaurs. Dammit brain, I already have too many roleplaying concepts to choose between!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5991 on: October 29, 2018, 02:22:25 pm »

Realizing that DnD has fairly accurate, small velociraptors and remembering that XKCD makes me suddenly really want to run a campaign about dinosaurs. Dammit brain, I already have too many roleplaying concepts to choose between!
Perfect campaign for a grappler!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5992 on: October 29, 2018, 02:24:22 pm »

[xkcd /]

It better feature dino riding. Throw out the rules from whichever supplement adds dino races. Create your own, including people riding velociraptors around like minibikes.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5993 on: October 29, 2018, 02:28:05 pm »

[xkcd /]

It better feature dino riding. Throw out the rules from whichever supplement adds dino races. Create your own, including people riding velociraptors around like minibikes.

Dark Sun it is then
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5994 on: October 29, 2018, 02:31:02 pm »

[xkcd /]

Dinosaurs seem to be a part of the regular monster manual in 5e, actually. Some of them in the "generic wildlife and such" section.

EDIT: Okay, looking at the book I was wrong about them being generic wildlife, but there are six dinosaurs in the manual. All big ones, so not velociraptors. Allosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Plesiosaurus, Pteranodon, Triceratops, Tyrannosaurus.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 02:42:06 pm by Egan_BW »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5995 on: October 29, 2018, 02:38:29 pm »

Dinosaurs seem to be a part of the regular monster manual in 5e, actually. Some of them in the "generic wildlife and such" section.

Sorry, I meant the one that adds mechanics for racing while riding on various 'saurs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5997 on: October 29, 2018, 02:53:03 pm »

So Compy was roughly 1m in length (snout to tail tip), Velociraptor was 2m, and Deinonychus (which was apparently also what was being described in the book with the wrong name, and the film just kept the fraud going for source accuracy) is 3m.

Seems like a pretty good Tiny, Small, Medium progression to me.

Nah man, you're thinking too much in terms of length when these feathery assholes have big long tails that are totally throwing you off. Thinking about in terms of just mass, the Deinonychus weighs about as much as an adult man, easily medium, the compy weighs a few pounds, easily tiny, but the Velociraptor also only weigh like thirty pounds, a fair wack below most small races. They fit in tiny, although it's sorta on the edge (like a dwarf).

It depends on how the encounter is set up, if the enemy doesn't have aoe and can't get to the druid, it's fairly strong. However aoe is going to send them all to dino hell. And it's concentration, which means you go up to the druid (Who now can't have his barkskin on) and smack him hard enough and there's a fair chance the spell fizzles out. Giant bats are a bit less vulnerable to aoe, but also less dangerous. I do like that idea more though, with the flying and such the druid would have a better chance of being able to escape from the fights as the bats saw to it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5998 on: October 29, 2018, 03:02:03 pm »

Hmm. This bestiary reference I'm using seems to have listed the Stench Kow's stink aura DC as being 26. I'm not sure how that happened.

That's definitely not the kind of DC you'd expect to see on a CR 1/4 beastie...

So... Celestial Warlock 6/Dragon Sorcerer 6... Get double your CHA mod in bonus damage on fire attacks! Splitting your build straight down the middle with 6 levels of Warlock is totally worth getting 8-10 bonus damage on your Fire Bolt, right? Right?

Supposedly, Crawford in his enlightenment has confirmed that you can use a warlock's pact magic slots to fuel Divine Smite, in case you wanted to pump those out every short rest rather than every long rest.

Still fiddling with different character concepts... Much as I'd love to do a grappler, there aren't a great many designs that seem to work at early levels, at least not when only using base books. Been thinking I might just try some form of druid, as they seem to be pretty decent, even if not quite as ridiculous as they may have been in earlier versions. Certainly got a lot of versatility, and rolling a versatility-focused druid named Bagatrix seems as much a reason to play a character as any.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5999 on: October 29, 2018, 03:14:37 pm »

Hmm. This bestiary reference I'm using seems to have listed the Stench Kow's stink aura DC as being 26. I'm not sure how that happened.

That's definitely not the kind of DC you'd expect to see on a CR 1/4 beastie...

A little higher than in my copy of Volo's guide, yeah, which lists it as the slightly weaker DC12.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 623