Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 921324 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #5730 on: September 08, 2018, 07:48:04 pm »

It's amazing how close our party came to losing some members. Three party members down, three nat ones on the first don't die check for each of them. That's one in... 8000?

Absurd. At least I got a level out of it. Rogue/Druid, here I come!
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: September 08, 2018, 09:10:37 pm »

We finally finished another Taller Luke and Boba Fett Is Dumb tangent, and finally got back to the important business of the night:  Gutting giant porg plushies to make costumes for us and Dagon's appointed sacrifice.

A couple of vampires who are technically our allies insisted on coming with the sacrifice (Alphy).  Unfortunately the other two characters (who are migo puppets) decided to jump back to Yoggoth for advice, their bodies collapsing on the floor.  The vampires found this... suspicious. 

They tied us up (in the porg costumes) and are demanding proof that we aren't possessed by demons.  I didn't collapse, but they tied me up anyway because I rolled really bad at lying (I don't see anything wrong with their auras!  I don't see ANYthing at ALL!  ...Wrong with their auras!)

We rolled initiative to bust out, I won and carved my way out of the plushie with my knife.  But with no real reason to attack, I just argued for peace (and rolled another 0 lol).

Fortunately one of the vampires went next and revealed that he had holy water, and offered to pour some on us.
Crisis averted!

Anyway looks like we're back on track to trick bring Alphy through the closet-portal to Yuggoth Narnia, where he'll be safe from the cultists.
We're being a little cagey about the plan, basically claiming we're just hiding him in the cabin.  But in our defense, it's a better hiding spot than being an *exhibit* at the carnival-

oh wow while I was distracted they had Alphy read the Red Box for giggles.  good job guys, I think the kid's down to 2 morality now.  And 4 weapon skill with knife specialty, thanks to some former hijinks.

Edit:  Oh we also sang several lines of Fireflies by Owl City because the lyrics are kinda great if you're thinking of Migos the whole time.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 09:21:14 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5732 on: September 09, 2018, 03:59:02 am »

Pathfinder 2 Playtest!

So, our group is working through the scenarios, and we get to the part of the playtest that calls for an all-healer group, with a minimum of 2 clerics in the party plus all other players bringing some form of healing class (alchemist, bard, druid etc.) as well.

I bring a Barbarian/Cleric multiclass devoted to the god of war and weapons.

One of the other players brings a chaotic evil cleric devoted to the destruction of all things.

Together, we completely derail the plot within the first ten minutes. After half an hour, the GM is literally sitting, head in hands, desperately trying to salvage the story.

Besides us, we have an alchemist and a chaotic good cleric of the god of alcohol. Our mission is to fetch an NPC scholar since the magical McGuffin is counting down to doomsday and he's got info on the evil cult that's behind it. Obviously the playtest assumes that we're gonna go in and protect the NPC from the evilwrongbad waves of enemies that will attack this isolated mansion he's living in out in the boondocks.

Instead, we get to the place, kick down the door in the middle of the night and start smashing stuff and intimidating the hired help until they fetch the doc. The evil cleric and I nearly shanghai the NPC and cart him off in ropes until the GM puts their foot down and flat out vetos our plan. So instead, we set the attic on fire (destroying one encounter before it's even had a chance to start) and steamroll through the next one.

Long story short, never let players bring chaotic evil to the table if you have a story anything close to being on the rails. Not unless you enjoy watching trainwrecks.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: September 09, 2018, 04:03:02 am »

Or, plan accordingly for "Players decide to ignore/circumvent the plot" that chaotic evil brings to the table, and make it  REALLY worth their while to stick to the script. :P

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: September 09, 2018, 10:11:03 pm »

Life Domain's Channel Divinity only works if folks are below half health. I'm not too familiar with it, but there's also a homebrew class called the Blood Hunter that has an abilities that cost you HP to use.

There's also some monsters who have attacks become more powerful the lower on health they are.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: September 10, 2018, 06:15:50 am »

Been playing Darkest Dungeon lately, and it got me thinking: With present 5e rules, is there anything akin to the Flagellant? Someone that becomes more powerful the less health they have, either through exploiting some feats, class features, or anything of that nature?

I don't think so, but my 5th ed knowledge is a bit lacking.

I do know there was a spell or the like in Book of Vile Darkness called Masochism that gave bonuses for taking damage.  Maybe you could port it over.  Incidentally there's also a Sadism spell as well.

EDIT:http://dnd.arkalseif.info/spells/book-of-vile-darkness--37/masochism--164/index.html
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5736 on: September 10, 2018, 09:10:49 am »

Playing a Leper-based Paladin would be fun. I guess the disease have to be Magical Leprosy or a Super Curse or something though.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: September 10, 2018, 11:15:17 am »

Do cantrips count as spells for stuff like "when you cast a spell that does X, apply Y"? Like for a celestial warlock that can add their CHA mod to radiant or fire damage rolls when casting a spell, could they apply that when tossing cantrip fire bolts?

Also, anyone looked at the Lore Mastery magic tradition for wizards in Unearthed Arcana? Seems a wee bit broken at first glance, honestly.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5738 on: September 10, 2018, 11:28:06 am »

Cantrips do count as spells, so a celestrial warlock would add their CHA mod to damage of a fire cantrip. However a lot of abilities like that specify they work with spells cast from spell slots, which cantrips aren't, so they don't work for that. An example would be the Spell Secrets from the Lore Mastery magic tradition doesn't work with cantrips.

Loremaster does look pretty overpowered yeah. Great blasting utility and strength, ability to cast any spell from any list. Seems stronk.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: September 10, 2018, 11:40:13 am »

Also, anyone looked at the Lore Mastery magic tradition for wizards in Unearthed Arcana? Seems a wee bit broken at first glance, honestly.

Doesn't look too broken to me. You're still using slots (possibly at a much quicker rate, if you're fond of augmenting every single spell with Alchemical Casting; Yay +2 DC...) and paying material costs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5740 on: September 10, 2018, 02:18:10 pm »

Doesn't look too broken to me. You're still using slots (possibly at a much quicker rate, if you're fond of augmenting every single spell with Alchemical Casting; Yay +2 DC...) and paying material costs.
You also get double proficiency on four different skills, can use INT to roll initiative (!), can freely change the damage type of any spell to make it particularly effective against whatever foe you're up against, can change the type of saving throw required for a spell (!!), trade out a 1st-level slot for a whole 2d10 extra force damage against every target with no save, turn yourself into a goddamn magical catapult by swapping a 2nd-level slot to make a 30' range spell have a range of one mile instead, and of course the ridiculous ability to just cast a spell from any spell list and treat it as a wizard spell (!!!).

Wanna cast Abi-Dalzim's but it deals cold damage instead of necrotic? Go for it! Wanna cast magic missile, except now it deals (1d4+1)+2d10 damage to every target for the price of two 1st-level slots? By all means! Cast Resurrection even though you're a wizard? Go on, do it... You're worth it!

Or combine everything together and cast Call Lightning like a druid, but it's bolts of spooky acid raining from the sky with 3d10 acid damage on a failed will save (because why the fuck not?) and 2d10 force damage with no save to everyone in the area.

And you're doing this all before the enemy has moved, because you're a goddamn wizard who can roll initiative off of their brainpower.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5741 on: September 10, 2018, 02:26:15 pm »

But for me it was just Tuesday 3.5 edition!
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5742 on: September 10, 2018, 03:16:05 pm »

Oh no, int to initiative. Like the war wizard. Oh no, one of your specialty advancements is basically the Elemental Adept feat (which, let's be honest, is probably what a non-UA lore wizard would be getting). Oh no, you get an extra 2d10 force damage. Like a moderately-optimized Warlock. Except you can only do it four times per day.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5743 on: September 10, 2018, 03:36:38 pm »

Where is this War Wizard?
Love, scriver~

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile