Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 921192 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #5655 on: August 31, 2018, 07:22:18 pm »

I mean, the fact that you land at the end of your turn makes it more like a jump. Though I guess you can still do midair maneuvers, like double-jumping, with it. So I guess it's more like a wuxia jump.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5656 on: September 01, 2018, 03:12:43 am »

Considering you can get a walking speed of 55 feet when doing that, 65 if you're a centaur... That's still a pretty damn good vertical.

Sproink.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: September 01, 2018, 03:22:07 am »

The world record for high jump is 245 cm, or just over 8 feet. Sadly, our barbarian would probably get disqualified from any competitions for all the murder that the rage tends to be followed by.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5658 on: September 01, 2018, 03:53:13 am »

So.. what happens should the invidual's mood be forcibly altered, while in mid-air?  Do they fall catastrophically and go splat?  55m/sec vertical takeoff is about 165ft/sec, meaning if they actually went up that hight, they should take some significant impact damage should that happen.

I am thinking-- influence from a mind-altering monster, like a flayer. (But mind altering drugs are also a thing.  Think, weaponized morphine or something.)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5659 on: September 01, 2018, 04:02:38 am »

It'd be closer to 3 m/s, as it's 55 feet over a 6-second turn (or double that with a Dash). There are few ways to end a barbarian's rage early, especially in the middle of its turn, but I'd imagine the regular rule of 1d6 damage per 10 feet fallen (max 20d6) would apply.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: September 01, 2018, 04:18:46 am »

I had too look up the sound barrier to see if they broke it but unfortunately they are nowhere near it :(
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5661 on: September 01, 2018, 04:20:26 am »

Falling happens instantaneously, right? So you can't just zoom upwards, end your turn, fall back down a ways, and start your next turn mid-air to once again fly away? Not that it'd work anyways with rage rules, but just checking.

In other news, my mind has decided to preoccupy itself with such highly important topics as "Sorcer-O's: The original rings of power!" and "VitaMINMAX dietary supplement: Everything a body needs, and NOTHING else!"

I had too look up the sound barrier to see if they broke it but unfortunately they are nowhere near it :(
*Yelling*

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: September 01, 2018, 04:23:38 am »

Well actually I guess the falling is happening on your turn too. So it's more like you jump for 3 seconds and land for 3. Isn't it?
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5663 on: September 02, 2018, 12:31:21 am »

So Cthulhu-NWoD campaign...

Hart: "Hey Lauren!  We're robospiders now!"
*passes 4 derangement checks*
Lauren: "Hell yeah, Hart!"
*4-appendage high 5, goes completely insane*

My character:  *is unconscious, tried desperately to avoid the Enlightenment offer, got knocked out and dragged into the Yuggoth portal by my "allies"*

Hart: "So this is what happens when Lauren and I lead the investigation"
Me: "MMHM."
Lauren: "Hey, we made progress!"
*All laugh, myself included*

GM asks Hart and I to decide what entity Lauren can never believe in, due to her derangement.
Hart: "Vampires!"  (We are all ghouls of vampires)
Me: "...Yeah.  Yeah, Vampires.  Ehehehe, you are the Masquerade."

Frick though, I'm not clear on how this will work for them.  I think the Migo are offering my character a choice, so I'll probably only remember this as a dream, and otherwise keep my character.  I'm really unclear on what the other two actually are... brain cylinders with spider legs...  But possibly in charge of their old bodies some of the time?  I need to pay more attention.

...Oh wow, the witch we abducted who gave us this "Enlightenment" offer was a Shub-Niggurath worshipe-
"Add contact: Migo" MY FUCKING SIDES, I LOVE THIS
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 12:33:50 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5664 on: September 02, 2018, 01:05:55 am »

Let me get this straight-- they performed a complex cyberization surgery on your players, without also enslaving them in the mines of Yuggoth? What "exactly" did they trade for such a boon?

(Dont play this game, but am acutely familiar with lovecraft's work. The Migo dont play nice. They should be concerned what the migo intend to do with their old bodies. Ask Mr Akeley about what they did with his... ;P)

On a more "Let's roll with it and have lots of FUN" angle...  The migo brain cylinder tech is highly modular. (or at least, the short story describes it as such)  Any chances of them "Appropriating" more... "advanced" "Combat oriented" models later? ;P 

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 01:08:48 am by wierd »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5665 on: September 02, 2018, 02:07:36 am »

The Migo (nicknamed Mittens) got at-will control of two low-ranking EPA agents!  ...Who are actually basically Mulder/Scuzzy tier, plus a third partner (my character) who they didn't deign to brainjack without consent.  Oh and... our characters have vampire-ghoul powers too.

Put another way, they have control of an paranormal paranormal investigation team which is located at a critical moment in the elder gods/old ones "conflict".  Dagon is one sacrifice from incarnation, and is allied with other old ones we've yet to identify. 

Our investigation was reminding me a lot of Yahtzee's game The Consuming Shadow, trying to figure out which mythos beings were threatening the world, and which were potential allies.  Several seem basically neutral, but potentially useful (their factions, anyway).

Giving their brains to the Migo gave a data dump.  Mostly on Yoggoth, but a lot of pretty explicit answers...  Most of which my character, the primary scholar, isn't privy to:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

as I'm typing this, they're discussing that vampire powers like Astral Projection would travel at light speed, so there's a ~5 hour delay since the powers originate from their stolen brains.
I'm so sleepy lol

Edit:  Note to self:  Don't forget to describe the A Christmas Carol play, AKA the third (second?) time we murdered the Mage.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 02:09:31 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5666 on: September 02, 2018, 05:55:39 pm »

Bit a basilisk to death today, then made a dart out of it's corpse.

Also got my first magical weapon in 5e, a custom mcguffin weapon. Our GMs got us seeking out 6 elemental artifacts, air, earth, fire, water, light and darkness which correspond to our PCs and our two NPC companions. When we find an elemental artifact it turns into a weapon. Our Rogue got a dagger that does the same damage as an Air Elemental plus her own damage bonuses a few sessions ago, I've now got a tail-blade that does the damage of an Earth Elemental plus my bonuses to damage.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: September 03, 2018, 10:36:08 am »

I was working up to asking a brief acquaintance about the possibility of joining their group, when I got a message from the previous chick who said that they've got a new group/campaign forming when the DM moves closer, so there's a possibility of getting in sometime in October if I'm still hep.

But that's not important right now...  What is important are dragonborn draconic bloodline sorcerers with two different ancestor colors and "A very complicated family history".

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5668 on: September 05, 2018, 08:53:17 am »

Huh, that's actually kinda strong if each counts for both purposes.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: September 05, 2018, 10:28:35 am »

Pretty sure they wouldn't though.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 623