Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 918970 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Arthropoid Martial Arts!
« Reply #5100 on: April 24, 2018, 01:54:18 am »

I’d have replied with ‘gravity’, but that is a surprising answer from a paladin type.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: April 24, 2018, 02:08:18 am »

Well, it's 5th edition
He's level 3, only just swore his oath (vengeance) and as players it's our first time with a paladin character.  Largely we're just really sleepy - one player stopped waking back up, so we're calling it :P

Paladin's player insists I mention our long egg discussion, which was part of establishing the rich culture of Luskan (near Icewind Dale).  They're very Scandinavian, lutefisk and long eggs and ale.

My answer was "rain" - we actually used it while cajoling the ogre, which seemed to calm him down.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: April 24, 2018, 02:20:43 am »

Except in certain wind conditions (skyscraper required) but that’d be a smartass halfogre and probably a smartass DM too, heh.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: April 24, 2018, 04:15:17 am »

Since it was a random encounter and not a very smart half-ogre, I don't think they were supposed to be very hard riddles. I can think of several things with feet but no legs, and things that go down but not up, and things that make half-ogres angry.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: April 24, 2018, 05:15:12 am »

Random NPC stops party member in middle of market: "Excuse me sir, have you seen my ring of invisibility?"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: April 24, 2018, 05:25:05 am »

I should never be allowed to DM. For a long time I've had the idea for the party to come across a magical garment made by an almighty but fairly insane mage, which is revealed to be a leather jerkin +5 vs. landsharks.

And thus the saga of the world's first bulette-proof vest would begin in earnest.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: April 24, 2018, 06:09:48 am »

Protects very nicely against bullettes, except along the limbs or head, or at point-blank range!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: April 24, 2018, 07:46:28 am »

First session with the new group was last night. I think they were unsure about having a LE kobold in the party but I think I won them over in the first encounter.

We're in a shitty "fort" (read: overturned wagon that's been modified to be more fort-like). There's a "banner" (if I'm being generous) flying over it reading "Dibs". We find some goblins in a hole under the wagon, their "throne room," as it were.

Barbarian rages and cuts a goblin in half. I run in, spy the apparent leader, and yell "your banner is dumb and you should feel bad!" (vicious mockery).

The goblin gets pissed off and grapples me.

Shenanigans happen and my turn rolls around again. "I cower and yell 'don't hurt me!'" (kobold racial feature).

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5108 on: April 24, 2018, 08:03:52 am »

I should never be allowed to DM. For a long time I've had the idea for the party to come across a magical garment made by an almighty but fairly insane mage, which is revealed to be a leather jerkin +5 vs. landsharks.

And thus the saga of the world's first bulette-proof vest would begin in earnest.
Trouble is that it can also be pronounced "boo-LAY" (p. 25).

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: April 24, 2018, 08:33:01 am »

What if the mage has split Russian/French personalities? Boo-LET (bonus points if you adopt a Heavy accent) and boo-LAY (bonus points if you do an offensive Spy accent) are just fine.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: April 24, 2018, 08:43:32 am »

Sure, if you really want to(boo-LAY boo tu le faire?). But it's worth noting that he prefaces the whole thing by saying that there's no "correct" way of pronouncing something, and then goes on to mangle Acheron, Cabalist and Ixitxichitl. We can of course say that Acheron is in no way related to the Greek-origin word of the same spelling, and that Ixitxachitl doesn't need to follow its nahuatl inspiration because it's a made-up asshole flap-flap, but cabalist?

And the Drow are apparently also the Dro. Truly, I have learned many things today!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: April 24, 2018, 09:11:56 am »

Got to have a proper lizardfolk moment in our most recent session. Was crawling on a roof above a jail during a jailbreak, knocked on the door and then hauled the guy who answered onto the roof by his head and proceeded to bite him to death over the next two turns as his buddies tried to climb onto the roof and shoot at me, then threw the body down at them as our party barbarian started to smack two of them with his axe, grabbed a guy who was trying to climb up to get at me and grappled/bit him until he died while clinging to the wall with spider climb, then leapt off the roof and bore one of the last few guys to the ground and started trying to maul him.

When the remaining guards and the warden of the prison came outside to back up their now dead friends I hit the barbarian with invisibility, told him to run, then intimidated the warden into not pursuing me when he asked what the hell I did to his men by answering 'I ate them,' then dragged the last guy we killed off to the side while staring at them.

It was nice to switch from being a semi silly character to going full horror movie monster for a bit.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: April 25, 2018, 02:17:42 pm »

Now that I think of it, some classical mythology sounds kind of like a GM railroading.

Hercules:I don't want to be a hero, I just want to marry this woman and raise some kids.
GM:make a will save.
Herc:natural 1...
GM:Juno takes control of your mind, forcing you to kill your wife and children. For this, you are being forced to do 12 labors during twelve years of slavery.
Herc:...

Odysseus:I guess, now that the war is over, I'll just sail home.
GM:As you sail home, your stores of food run out. Your sailors disembark on an island you found, in order to find additional provisions, and do not return.
Ody:I guess, I disembark, myself, and find out what killed them.
GM:you see a cyclops.
Ody:I kill it.
-Battle Scene.-
I escape from the cyclops, taking advantage of its now blind eye, and we sail off while I insult him.
GM:Okay. But wait a minute. That cyclops has contacted his father, Neptune, and Neptune has caused you to lose your way. Three months later...
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: April 25, 2018, 09:00:04 pm »

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone! I have at long last finished the mechanics-based section and stripped out every trace of the base game setting. The hardest part was probably the bit where I spent 4 or 5 days reading about 17th-century HEMA in an effort to translate the various national styles of fencing to the fencing school gameplay mechanics. I've taken a few liberties--namely, French fencing has certain aspects and authors overemphasized, because from what I understand, French fencing was very similar to Italian fencing until the latter half of the century. Additionally, for Arabic and Turkish fencing, I've adapted furusiyya as a sort of jack-of-all-trades fighting style, de-emphasizing horseback fighting some to fit the  game better. The Nordics and Russians don't have styles, which is more or less fitting with the base game setting (where Not Russia has no fencing school and Not Scandinavia is simultaneously the Netherlands and also late-era Vikings.)

My favorite fencing mechanic that I came up with was giving the Dutch fencing style, based on Gérard Thibault d'Anvers' Academie de l'Espée, an ability where you're more likely to hit your opponent the better your character is at math.

I also wrote up a gigantic language chart listing not only the various languages one's characters may speak but how many skill points you need to learn other languages based on your first language. (Russian got the short end of the stick :v) Had to include "miscellaneous" columns clarifying that other languages exist but I didn't have the space to put them on the chart--I had room for the big ones (French, English, German, etc.) but I had to squeeze a few things together for simplicity's sake (mutually intelligible or partially mutually intelligible languages, e.g. Portuguese/Spanish/Catalan, Swedish/Danish/Norwegian, Russian/Belorussian/Ukrainian, are combined into single languages, for example, and I've got a list of other possible languages that had to go unlisted entirely.)

Now I only have to write a few dozen pages about European history and 17th-century society, ha. The book does a kind of paint-by-numbers thing where they spend 4 pages on the game world's history, then devotes 1-3 pages each to the seven nations, but since there are significantly more than 7 nations in Europe, a lengthy, non-imaginary history, and since I'm a history major, I'm thinking I'll go a bit more in-depth for any players who aren't familiar with the period. I think I'll put down a more or less chronological account of European history, starting in England and France at the close of the Hundred Years' War, then jumping about to discuss topics like Columbus' voyage, the Protestant Reformation, the dissolution of the Kalmar Union, the formation of Poland-Lithuania, the rise of the Ottoman Empire, the Tudor succession struggles, the Schmalkaldic War and the Peace of Augsburg, and so on until the "current" topics, like the 30 Years' War, the Polish-Swedish War, the conflicts of Charles I with Parliament, and the like. The latter of these sections will probably be organized by region or country (e.g. British Isles section, Central Europe section, Baltic Sea section, etc.) and describe not only the larger political picture but society and everyday life in these places.

Thinking of a more adventurous sort of plot than the one I'd originally envisioned, probably one set outside Germany but where the players definitely feel the effects of what's happening there.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: April 26, 2018, 10:11:56 am »

Don't forget any relevant topics relating to the colonization of the Americas if the players encounter anything relevant, even if they don't actually go to the Americas. Spain was already in the Carribean for a century and Jamestown was 11 years old by the time the 30 years war(s) rolled around.
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 623