Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 918652 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Axes or railguns?
« Reply #4680 on: November 17, 2017, 05:20:39 pm »

Looking at it, it looks like Xanathar's Guide dropped the Armor of Peace and Warrior of Reconciliation features, changed some of the Oath spells, and the Channel Divinity features are a bit better (the bonus to Persuasion checks now lasts 10 minutes instead of one and can be used with all checks made at that time, instead of just one. The other one can now be used on any enemy in range who dealt damage to someone other than you, rather than just ones that made melee attacks). And for Aura of the Guardian, damage you take on other player's behalf can't be reduced in any way, and the range that it can be used at increases to 30 feet at 18th level, like most paladin auras.
Well, sounds like if I use the official version, I don't need a finesse simple bludgeon. No Armor of Peace? Damn it, no 22 AC for me...
What does it have instead of Armor of Peace, and Warrior of Reconciliation?
Just the oath spells and the channel divinity features, which did seem like a nerf from Unearthed Arcana, but it seems like all the paladin subclasses follow that same format.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: November 17, 2017, 05:36:47 pm »

Can you rage while polymorphed/wild shaped?

Also, in response to the comment above, why did they give it extra 3rd level features in the Unearthed Arcana version, then?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 05:38:26 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: November 17, 2017, 06:09:06 pm »

Wildshape has a specific clause that says you keep and can use class features (and etc) as long as "the new form is physically capable of doing so". I find it difficult to believe that being a bear would make you physically incapable of becoming angry/going into a battle trance/whatever else you have decided rage actually is, therefore you can rage while wildshaped.

Polymorph doesn't have a bunch of exceptions to replacing everything with a beast's, so your rage (along with every other class feature you have) is replaced, and therefore you can not enter a rage and any existing rage ends.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: November 17, 2017, 06:34:57 pm »

Also, in response to the comment above, why did they give it extra 3rd level features in the Unearthed Arcana version, then?
I can't speak for designer's intent, but Unearthed Arcana is meant to be playtest material and isn't intended to be as well-balanced as officially published material. It's more about putting stuff out there and seeing what people think of it. It might even be that it was dropped because a lot of players thought it was over-powered.

So long as you're not playing Adventurer's League, you might be able to convince your DM to let you include those class features, or at least continue using the Unearthed Arcana version.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: November 18, 2017, 12:07:24 am »

I have just realized that the scorpion is horribly under-represented as a sci-fi tank/mech design.  I must now stat scorpion-bots up for RIFTS, thankfully it has an existing design that I can use as a template for my own hideous eight-legged abominations.

Let the scorpioning begin!
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: November 18, 2017, 12:17:13 am »

I have just realized that the scorpion is horribly under-represented as a sci-fi tank/mech design.  I must now stat scorpion-bots up for RIFTS, thankfully it has an existing design that I can use as a template for my own hideous eight-legged abominations.

Let the scorpioning begin!

More generally, anything with more than two legs is underrepresented as a mecha design, let alone 6+; everyone seems to want to use bipeds, even for things like self-propelled artillery where you'd logically want the thing's center of mass as low to the ground as possible.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: November 18, 2017, 12:32:04 am »

Actually, the height of the center of mass is pretty irrelevant to artillery and tank design, the real issue is footprint, which you want to be as wide and deep as is reasonable in order to prevent it's weight (which is how it actually offsets recoil, though spreading the force also helps) from causing it to sink.  That said, it could be argued that by increasing the footprint you are effectively lowering the center of gravity, but that isn't completely true.

Six legs would probably be optimal for legged artillery, but four (with a wide enough stance) would probably work for an AFV.

As ridiculous as it sounds, there are some reasonable arguments in favor of a two-legged gun carriage unit, narrow profile, variable firing height and vantage, some terrain advantages.  Not really enough to offset the massive expense and complexity, but still good points.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 12:44:40 am by NullForceOmega »

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: November 18, 2017, 12:34:58 am »

But with more than 2 legs you can't do robo martial arts. And they don't look like giant dudes.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: November 18, 2017, 12:37:24 am »

Just learn multi-legged kung-fu. Problem solved.  Bugs are cooler than people anyway.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: November 18, 2017, 12:39:07 am »

Bugs are cooler than people anyway.
[CITATION NEEDED]

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Arthropoid Martial Arts!
« Reply #4690 on: November 18, 2017, 12:40:42 am »

Your request for citation has been acknowledged and disregarded.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 12:42:32 am by NullForceOmega »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: November 18, 2017, 12:54:43 am »

Actually, the height of the center of mass is pretty irrelevant to artillery and tank design, the real issue is footprint, which you want to be as wide and deep as is reasonable in order to prevent it's weight (which is how it actually offsets recoil, though spreading the force also helps) from causing it to sink.  That said, it could be argued that by increasing the footprint you are effectively lowering the center of gravity, but that isn't completely true.

Six legs would probably be optimal for legged artillery, but four (with a wide enough stance) would probably work for an AFV.

As ridiculous as it sounds, there are some reasonable arguments in favor of a two-legged gun carriage unit, narrow profile, variable firing height and vantage, some terrain advantages.  Not really enough to offset the massive expense and complexity, but still good points.

Center of mass matters a great deal for movement. The lower the center of mass, the higher an incline a vehicle of equal footprint can handle without tipping; since one of the most frequently parroted arguments in favor of mecha is that legged vehicles can handle rougher terrain, it makes sense to go as low as possible with the drive unit in light of the guns to be put on its back. Of course, you can just make the vehicle longer or wider, but that means stressing the legs more with the additional mass and needing wider paths down which to travel.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: November 18, 2017, 01:08:11 am »

Honestly, tanks can go over terrain pretty well, and likely much, much faster than any legged vehicle could manage. If your setting involves mecha, I'd not be worrying about the physics behind it, because the point is clearly more about the GIANT ROBOTS WITH GUNS.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: November 18, 2017, 01:12:23 am »

Honestly, tanks can go over terrain pretty well, and likely much, much faster than any legged vehicle could manage. If your setting involves mecha, I'd not be worrying about the physics behind it, because the point is clearly more about the GIANT ROBOTS WITH GUNS.

Well, yeah. On that note, one-legged mecha don't get much attention either. Where are the cannons on robotic pogo sticks?

Heck, go with a laser and you can have a giant weaponized Pixar lamp.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: November 18, 2017, 01:52:50 am »

I think one legged robots tend to be in Megaman and Sonic games.

There's a scorpion robot in W40k, The Brass Scorpion.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 623