Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 918581 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Axes or railguns?
« Reply #4575 on: October 21, 2017, 05:30:54 pm »

I mean technically punching a dragon in the nads might make it go away, it's just that it's a little harder to accomplish.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: October 21, 2017, 05:34:11 pm »

I dunno, given the size of an average dragon you have a lot more surface area to hit. Might need to being a hammer though.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: October 22, 2017, 02:16:55 am »

Played a bit of Starfinder today, in the first book of the Dead suns Adventure Path.

The party Operative was lit on fire by a lucky crit from some thug's laser pistol, and kept failing the save to douse it.

Rolled three Nat 1's in the attempts. Even with the GM allowing the rest of us to use Aid Another to speed things along, the Operative was on fire for almost a minute.

In totally unrelated news, I bought a fire extinguisher.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: October 22, 2017, 02:59:02 am »

Being on fire in Pathfinder gets stupid at higher levels.

"Okay, I coat myself in lard and set myself on fire. 1d6 damage a round, I've got about 150 hit points, so I can probably just stay on fire for about four minutes or so before I have to worry."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: October 22, 2017, 03:05:41 am »

It would be more interesting if you have to do a scaled fortitude roll to be able to do anything other than scream and flail your arms in that condition though.

Sadly, the rules seem to overlook this in nearly every game system...  It's like they think this is a common thing or something.

I honestly think that while you might not DIE horribly from being on fire, it being painful enough to basically nerf your turn as long as you remain on fire.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: October 22, 2017, 05:18:26 am »

To be fair, if anyone counts as a high level badass, it's Andre the Giant. The world's a smaller place without him.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: October 22, 2017, 08:27:24 pm »

On today's episode of I Actually Read The Class Rules For Playing A Rogue, we return to the basement of the troglodyte-necromancer cultist infestation. After further interrogating the mousy non-lizard cleric, we proceed to the hatching chamber and commit lizard genocide on the eggs there, which gets us a feeling of a sharp glare from the lizard god. We take a chance to check out the last other branch we've never been in, get shot by an arrow trap in an empty mural room, and then head back towards the corridor containing "The Failure" and the summoning circle.

Turns out The Failure is a misshapen velociraptor. The lizard god is actually a dinosaur god. The Failure is sleeping, but despite my extreme reluctance to give up a free sneak attack the ranger is hellbent on trying to use her animal friendship. Shockingly, the ranger manages to pass three separate skill checks and gets the Failure (promptly renamed Starlord) to join the party peacefully.

I successfully open the iron wrought door with stealth and get a look at the summoning room. Near me is Trevor the mayor's bodyguard...next to the mayor, laying in a summoning circle. Traitor. In the back is Myrra, engulfed in a maelstrom of divine magic, doing...something... I try to sneak in and botch the roll (sneaking is an awful idea), catching an arrow from Trevor for my trouble. Combat begins.

The non-slutty bard uses her ice artifact on Myrra and misses, I roll great on Trevor but it isn't enough (AC of like 15, yeesh). Starlord comes barging in and bites a chunk out of Trevor because she's statted as a miniboss. The summoning circle activates and kills the mayor. Oops. I try to get past Trevor but fail, and the magic near Myrra starts forming into a shape. The necromancer launches a fire bolt at Myrra and Starlord flips out, but the ranger again succeeds at animal control. The slutty bard uses hideous laughter on Myrra, but even not sustaining the spell it continues to take form...into the dread Tyrannosaurus Rex, Susan! Trevor disengages me to nearly kill the ranger, and so I take the opportunity to rush up to the prone Myrra and for the first time properly use sneak attack! Which takes her down to 1 HP, which is properly taken out by the ranger stealing my kill with an arrow. Trevor flips the fuck out, and Myrra's mind control over this fucking T-Rex is broken, leaving it to react as any animal would in a noisy underground cavern full of fighting prey animals and tail whips the entire party save me.

HP is getting dicey now, but the non-slutty bard finishes Trevor and the necromancer fire bolts Susan (Starlord again freaks out and is brought back under control). I try to climb up on Susan's back but fail, while the slutty bard does the same and gets in a throat shot. Starlord does great damage but then there's another tail whip, and this one brings me down to 2 HP while the necromancer starts dying and fails the first death save. Everybody is about one tail whip away from getting taken out. I finally get a strong hit in, which I categorize as being certain I'm about to die and having gone full screaming barbarian on Susan's left leg. The slutty bard gets knocked off but makes his attack, which finally kills the T-Rex. Susan unravels into divine magic goo...and so does Starlord. The ranger is heartbroken, I'm still screaming and stabbing Susan's corpse, the necromancer is stabilized, and we're on our way out with the uncorrupted cleric.

At the surface we meet the ex-adventurer we met before, Velma, who has arrived in heavy armor and with her bow moving at an impressive clip for an 80 year old woman. Turns out all the lizard spirit corrupted people on the surface basically exploded when we fucked up the ritual. Since the mayor is dead and we kind of got him killed by lollygagging we decide to skip town and not talk to his wife, though I ransack Zuul's house before we go.

Level 3! Subclass time, and though I really desperately wanted to go arcane trickster for that mage hand it doesn't fit with my character (army background, already typed him as magic skeptical) and would allow me to disgustingly break the game. So instead I go with assassin and get automatic advantage (and thus sneak attack) on anybody who I beat on initiative as well as automatic crits on surprised enemies (and being a half-orc, this gives me another d6). God, it's disgusting. I didn't even intend to do this.

Unfortunately, the DM wants to institute a rotating DM schedule...I'm not really sure how or if that's going to work, and it doesn't help that she's already eyeing me as the most qualified second. Anybody ever successfully do this in their games? 
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: October 23, 2017, 12:31:47 am »

Unfortunately, the DM wants to institute a rotating DM schedule...I'm not really sure how or if that's going to work, and it doesn't help that she's already eyeing me as the most qualified second. Anybody ever successfully do this in their games?
One of my groups does this. We have 2 (3 next week) campaigns running simultaneously, each run by a different person and in a different system, and we switch generally after every adventure (or at another natural pause point after a month or so if it's a long one). Haven't had any problems with it, although it does require each of the GMs actually wanting to run their games.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: October 23, 2017, 01:12:13 am »

My group does this. We basically switch off when we reach the endpoint of an adventure (which can take a long time. I think I've been DMing for a bout six months now, though it could be more).

It can be nice for the DM to take a break and get to be a player, but it takes coordination to make sure the next person will be ready when you're done, and especially if you're taking on an on-going campaign (it helps to have the next adventure take place in a new place and/or have time pass in-between adventures).

My first time DMing was with this rotating schedule, and I don't think it really made things any harder, other than the fact that I had to integrate things from the last DM's adventure, and I had to pick up from the exact time and place where he left off. As for general new DM advice, I'd say get to know the basic rules pretty well if you don't already, and run an adventure instead of trying to make it up yourself (since you'll probably end up having to make a lot up yourself even if you run and adventure, but it's nice to have some basic groundwork).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: October 23, 2017, 04:48:57 am »

I get one week off each month, more or less, as we rotate out our regular game for a session of Pathfinder Society using a pregenerated adventure module on the first session of each month. I'm still in the rotation for GM, but at least it's only every 3 or 4 months where I don't get at least one session to play as a character instead of as the NPCs. My half-orc barbarian is a great way to unwind from the stress of prepping a high level homebrew campaign every week.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: October 23, 2017, 12:43:13 pm »

In 5E, do you no longer get bonus languages from high intelligence or bonus spell slots from high spell-casting-ability-modifier?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: October 23, 2017, 01:23:26 pm »

At least bonus spell slots, yeas.
Love, scriver~

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: October 23, 2017, 01:43:45 pm »

Intelligence does not give you languages or spell slots. It also doesn't give you extra spells/day, instead it (or your other relevant casting stat, for non-wizards) gives you (for all the normal casters, i.e. not warlock) extra spells prepared (and to-hit bonus with spells, save dc, probably something else).

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: October 23, 2017, 01:52:57 pm »

Well, that sucks. So a 2nd level paladin always has only 2 spell slots? That sucks.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: October 23, 2017, 01:56:44 pm »

It's two more than they had last level! Besides, Shield of Faith kicks a lot more ass than you'd expect.
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 623