Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 916335 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3390 on: March 10, 2017, 08:50:55 pm »

For some reason I had it in my head that bludgeoning had -2 to to-hit and damage was halved, as normal, but slashing only took a -2 to to-hit and damage.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: March 10, 2017, 09:46:37 pm »

Makes sense to me that slashing would be less penalized than bludgeoning, but not in 3.5e I guess.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: March 11, 2017, 10:30:15 pm »

My friend suggested I make my own system... so after thinking about it for a while I went to him

"Well if I am going to make my own system, I am going to make something I'd want"

and he was like "Yeah that is kind of how it works"

So now I am in the impossible game!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: March 11, 2017, 11:02:07 pm »

Another campaign. Hell's Vengeance, for evil people.

I'm an Anti-paladin, playing with a Psychic, an Archeologist Bard, a Juju Oracle, and a Cleric. Most of us are Dhampir because healing is pretty damn difficult in an Evil campaign.

We ended up getting mauled by dogs in the first encounter. I can't hit for shit.

I'm a tiny bit upset that we didn't play Giantslayer this session, but that's okay. I managed to find a way to use a Huge Rifle without penalty, which is a hilarious mental image. I'd basically be carrying a railgun around.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 11:15:42 pm by BlackFlyme »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: March 12, 2017, 03:26:38 am »

Alright, brainstorming time.

So the group's potentially committed to exploring the aquatic sections of an ancient ruined castle. The backstory for this castle was that a mad nobleman decided to build a castle in a swamp. It sank into the swamp. He built a second one. That sank into the swamp. He built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. Eventually the mad noble and his family were slaughtered by a passing adventurer on his son's wedding day.

We've already found and cleared the first section of the castle. I still have potentially three more levels to create, and can theme each as I please.

I'm considering going some form of Cthulhu style madness as the source of the nobleman's obsession with building a castle on this location. Plenty of aberrations in the book that are aquatic too.

Any suggestions on the themes of each level? Underwater is fun for one, though dry levels deeper down might be even more interesting. Any other strange effects or features you can think would be good ambience for a madness themed underwater swamp castle dungeon?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: March 12, 2017, 03:40:53 am »

One level doesn't even have any monsters or anything, but is full of poison ivy. That's fire-resistant because of magical adaptation.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: March 12, 2017, 03:47:16 am »

Keep in mind that swamp water is not... clean. Swamp water is gross:

It contains unrotted bits of organic matter, is high in carbon dioxide gas and other acids, is very low oxygen, etc.

Any castle levels that submerged/sank in that stuff is going to be full of mostly muck rather than water. The parts that are actually in water, are going to be in VILE, HORRIBLE water.

Leeches, venomous snakes, biting insects (at the surface), toxic flora, rampant diseases, etc will all abound. If you want a Lovecraftian demigod, Tsathoggua, the frog god, seems like a good choice. It is worshiped heavily by the K'n-Yan people, who are HIGHLY, HIGHLY telepathic, and who live deep underground.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 03:49:37 am by wierd »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: March 12, 2017, 03:48:24 am »

One floor is basically made of gore. Like a living level. Further inspection reveals the players are actually inside an ancient, eldritch whale. It doesn't seem to mind.

I've been wanting to play a body-horror style character for a while, but can't see too many ways to do it. Best option I've come up with is to reflavour a Synthesist Summoner and use Evolution Surge rather liberally.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: March 12, 2017, 03:54:44 am »

I rather like Lovecraft's take on "body horror"--

A goul grows up without any parents inside a forgotten castle, filled with relics of a dead people. There are no mirrors, or any means for the creature to see itself, so it believes it is one of the people that once inhabited the castle.  It manages to leave the castle, and comes in contact with normal people, who flee in terror from it. It is despondent over this, then sees itself in a mirror for the first time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outsider_(short_story)

I think it fits better with the GP's narrative anyway. :P It could be an NPC encounter.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 04:01:08 am by wierd »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: March 12, 2017, 06:41:52 am »

Have one of the flooded levels be frozen instead, because of [reason]. You could have aquatic monsters, merfolk, whatever frozen mid-battle, or mid-fleeing-from-something. Bonus points if they're really high-level monsters and obviously terrified. Extra fun if something the players do ends up having the ice melt, and then they find out not everything in there is really dead.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: March 12, 2017, 07:37:56 am »

Have something shoot ink to create underwater Darkness (screw you, darkvision!). And also something that shoots lightning!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: March 12, 2017, 08:48:37 am »

Walls rearrange themselves...
One wheel short of a wagon

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: March 12, 2017, 08:59:16 am »

Another option besides "Ancient Swamp God" would be an eldritch intelligence obsessed with construction and/or unholy geometries (hence the king's fixation on endless rebuilding). So the final level, which has presumably either sunk close to its body or had the most time to influence, is full of fractal recombinations of human architecture, rearranged by this inhuman mind. Opens up constructs and outsiders, and things that are half-merged with the building or its furniture.

You could have a fourth level which is the actual body/temple/spaceship of whatever lovecraftian thing is to blame, regardless of its exact nature.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: March 12, 2017, 11:56:47 am »

maybe like a village of horribly mutated and inbdred swamp cultists? They've been there since the gal of the first castle and have been driven made by the undlying elderitch ambominations and complete isolation from the outside world?
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: March 14, 2017, 07:34:22 pm »

Been looking over various Natural Attack builds, and now I'm wondering. Are there actually any creatures out there that are not proficient with Natural Weapons? I've seen proficiency with Natural Attacks mentioned more than a few times in Pathfinder, so potentially it could happen. Yes, I know I'm hunting for something that doesn't exist. Not the first time.

I'm still looking for the creature with DR/Gold mentioned in the Rare-Metal Infusion for the Geokinetist.
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 623