Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 913756 times)

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile

Re story tips for first campaign:

You don't really need it all figured out beforehand. You just need a good enough idea for the first few sessions and a general idea for the overarching plot, but the characters that fill it can be swapped about fairly easily without the players ever knowing. In fact, if they do some detective work and figure out someone is a villain, they can sometimes come up with a better villain/plot than you ever could :P
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile

What if the jester is an illusion? Or a simulacrum or something. I guess at that point there's no reason for them to specifically be a jester except that one might be fun to have around. (any maybe a literally disposable jester could do ridiculous Evel Knievel capers? I dunno.)
this is probably going too deep. i don't need *that* many layers of "all according to keikaku" in my campaign :v

Nonsense! there's always room for more keikaku. When in doubt, make the dog the mastermind.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What if the jester is an illusion? Or a simulacrum or something. I guess at that point there's no reason for them to specifically be a jester except that one might be fun to have around. (any maybe a literally disposable jester could do ridiculous Evel Knievel capers? I dunno.)
this is probably going too deep. i don't need *that* many layers of "all according to keikaku" in my campaign :v

Nonsense! there's always room for more keikaku. When in doubt, make the dog the mastermind.
When DMing I always make sure to have a reason prepared for a doppelganger to infiltrate any of the major organisations just in case I get caught short :P
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.

Sigtext

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Everyone but the player characters are doppelgangers, and the culmination of the adventure is that they too are in fact doppelgangers.
Nom nom nom

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

I feel like this was posted recently, but w/e (nsfw comic)
http://oglaf.com/kingshaped/
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Everyone but the player characters are doppelgangers, and the culmination of the adventure is that they too are in fact doppelgangers.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, in summary, not the most competent.
I'd have had a blast if those were my players in that game. Actually having a plan other than 'roll for initiative and hit it until it stops moving' would be a refreshing change.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

A player won't be able to play in person very often any more, and wants to start a game over Roll20. Never used that before.

He also mentioned wanting everyone to take a turn DMing, every once in a while. Another thing I've never done, and wouldn't know where to start. Creating an entire world would be the hardest part, probably. I have a bunch of random DF stories I could convert, I guess. My Necromayor is still my favourite DF mishap, and would be pretty easy to turn into a side-story.

Goden would actually be a pretty good tragic character, using the new Corruption system, with him unwillingly Corrupted with Lichdom.

Anyways, this session was dominated by dirty jokes. We got a fair bit of stuff done, thankfully. But the Arcanist's player was away, so we went through practically blind.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

If you're used to playing in person, roll20 will be a lot slower if you type, and a lot more chaotic if you use voice chat.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Y'know, I reckon this could actually work pretty well. A doppelganger prison in which they're mindwiped to believe they're their current forms. Shit starts to get muddled up with different guards playing different parts and slowly cluing the party in to everyone else being doppelgangers before the big reveal. Bonus points if you can get them to kill anyone who tries to help them escape out of sheer paranoia.

Sigtext

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

He also mentioned wanting everyone to take a turn DMing, every once in a while. Another thing I've never done, and wouldn't know where to start. Creating an entire world would be the hardest part, probably. I have a bunch of random DF stories I could convert, I guess. My Necromayor is still my favourite DF mishap, and would be pretty easy to turn into a side-story.
My D&D group does this. The most important things are having good communication and being able to accept the things other DMs add to the world (or at least reach some kind of consensus). Some problems are that there might be some differences in how different DMs run things (you'll probably agree on some kind of houserules, but there will always be differences at least in how different DMs make rulings), you might be tempted to change some things another DM added on your turn (but you have to remember that, even though you're the one currently running it, it's not just your game or setting. You should confer with the other DM before changing it), and timing (other DMs need to know when their turn is coming up so they're prepared. In some ways I feel like this makes our campaigns feel rushed, as we're always asking how long until the current one is finished.)

What's nice, though, is that we all get a chance to run things we've wanted to do, we get practice DMing (no one in our group has much DMing experience, which is part of why we're doing this), everyone gets a chance to play, and we all get to contribute to our collective imaginary world.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think one of my favorite otherworldly locations in fiction that I'd love to do dungeons and dragons...

Is the Earth Realm (part of a game I forgot the name of again)

Now how the Earth Realm worked is that the entire universe is composed mostly of rock with air pockets being the places where people live.

Kind of a shame otherworldy adventures are usually out of reach for the average player because they present so many roleplaying opportunities.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:36:20 pm by Neonivek »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean there's literally nothing stopping you from saying that the game starts at level 1 in a cavern in the Earth Realms....
Nom nom nom

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

And besides that, having otherworldly DnD adventures is literally the entire point of the Planescape setting.
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Yeah.  The way TheSpoonyOne described it, any doorway in Sigil can randomly and invisibly lead to a fun plane.  I wonder if it's a roll, sounds more like a GM tool though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 623