Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 912933 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #1920 on: March 21, 2016, 01:02:46 pm »

Class synergy. They just don't mesh that well. I wouldn't use my Monk-half of the Gestalt.

At least it wasn't as bad as when I tried Barbarian/Kineticist. Many things went wrong there.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now I'm wondering. If you are immune to both non-lethal damage and to negative levels, then how would Burn work?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 06:32:55 pm by BlackFlyme »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: March 23, 2016, 02:19:34 pm »

Well, yes. They don't really have any splat books, so they need to sell something.

That said, I can't PM you .pdfs. That'd be illegal.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: March 23, 2016, 06:31:54 pm »

I can appreciate that.

And, I repeat, I can't link you a full .pdf.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: March 23, 2016, 07:56:30 pm »

You heard him say he can't link you a full pdf, right?  I'm not sure you understand what he's saying.  He can't link you the pdf.

I don't know, maybe you ought to PM him about it.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: March 23, 2016, 08:12:31 pm »

...He didn't ask to be linked to a pdf?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: March 23, 2016, 08:13:24 pm »

Exactly.

I'm making sure that he understands the state of affairs.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: March 23, 2016, 08:27:09 pm »

The wood. It is knocking.

Not surprised the 5esrd is pretty bare-bones. It's still a new-ish site, and is maintained by the same guy who maintains the Pathfinder D20PFSRD.

D20 can be a pain to navigate at times. More than a few things you can only reach by knowing the url. Plus all the third-party stuff, and the renaming of many things to avoid using WordsTM.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: March 24, 2016, 02:30:27 am »

I'm not sure whether to share these here or in Tabletop Gaming, since this is the "share your experiences" thread and the other isn't really.

Soooooo our gangrel player kinda got in a streetfight with 5 gangsters and started losing, and entered a anger rage.
There's blood EVERYWHERE
When the claws came out she suddenly stopped rolling crappy and started getting exploding rolls- leading to strikes for 7-8 aggravated damage, IE explosions of gore.  They got a couple of shots off before trying to sprint away- nope.

This is Vampire: the Requiem instead of Vampire: the Masquerade, but this is still... bad.  She came out of the frenzy to a street covered in blood and giblets, and took the only logical course of action:  Diving into the nearest sewer and calling my character, because she was completely lost.  Didn't mention the slaughter yet.

So she come in through the hotel boiler room, covered in blood and sewage, and dashes through the lobby.  Has a very awkward elevator ride with a terrified man.  Knocks on our hotel door.
"Hey so why were you in the sewer oh FUCK WHY ARE YOU COVERED IN BLOOD"
"It's fine!  It's fine!  I'm getting a shower it's fine!"  totally in shock

My cool cyberpunk Mekhet character knows just what to do in this situation:  PANIC.  Basically keeps repeating "we're so fucked".  A few minutes later we look out the door and realize there's a trail of blood sewage leading right to us.  And people are looking at it.  8 people.  She goes out with a mop. 
"Oh uh a kid had bad diarrhea, nothing to see here!"
"Yeah we're janitors, move along!"

I remember I have the mystic power of Obfuscate, the first level of which can hide items, vehicles, or even "negative spaces" like hallways.  If I succeed, the witnesses should make up excuses for what they thought they saw and why it's no longer there.  But there are 8 of them.  I boost my vampiric mind with blood, and expend a willpoint in furious concentration, moving my die pool up to... 3.  Odds of success: 65%.  Success: no. 
"we're so fucked, dude we need to call this in like now, maybe we should call my sire?"
"noooo not him!"  (Earlier that same night my sire warned us about letting the beast get too much control, he's high humanity)
"oh yeah good point...  how about yours?"  (Her sire is a psychopath who had us murder someone in cold blood for secret reasons.  My resulting loss of humanity is what prompted the earlier scolding from my sire)

We call him up and I calmly explain the situation.  "We're fucked!  Fucked!  There's blood and poop and it leads right to our door and and..." I don't actually know anything about the fight, so I hand the phone to her.  Basically he tells us to relax, this counts as her one freebie, there's a good chance the Prince won't execute her just yet.  Probably just get her killed on a suicide mission.  It's all cool or whatever, just call it in NOW, bye *goes back to watching soccer*.

So we call it in to the "cleaner", a nosferatu we met after the murder earlier (as a formality, everything went fine with that job).  This time we answer each question basically the opposite. 
"Emergency?"  "YES YES" 
"Masquerade Violation?"  "Uhhhh yeah uh probably a lot"
"Witnesses" "Like, 10?  Maybe more?"
"Is this related to the police traffic about gunshots?" "Gunshots?  Oh right the gunshots"
Speaking of, police are pulling up to the hotel during this.
"Cleanup teams are mobilizing.  The sheriff will apprehend you soon, stay put.  Be glad you called this in."

The crazy thing is, we had to stop periodically for fits of uncontrollable laughter.  We had gone through three sessions of tense stealth action, navigating deadly social situations, and grimly feeding on nightlife without ever getting caught.  Then this happened and just...  all the tension came out.  None of us could believe it, I honestly sorta expected us to roll it back but no.  We sorta figured the Malkavian would be the one to pull something like this, but that player couldn't make it tonight!

Though we did have fun with a mission to change out the employees at the gangrel's former place of employment, a bar.  Our DND parties had a... history, with bars and taverns (they have a tendency to burn or shatter).  We ended up sneaking in without a hitch, planning to steal the safe to bankrupt the owner.  But with a lucky roll I managed to crack the safe instead, getting a cool $6000 (cash doesn't exactly exist in World of Darkness but the gangrel got to buy one nice thing).  Then we realized we left fingerprints everywhere, so I got the idea to pour alcohol all over ever surface we touched.  Which we figured would help ensure that the employees quit.  Particularly since we used up all the goldschlager first.

I left a paper question mark in the safe, like the Riddler.  Except drenched in booze.
SOMEHOW the place never caught on fire.  And we never figured out why her sire wanted us to change out the employees (except to make it possible for her to go inside without her coworkers noticing she's not dead).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: March 24, 2016, 07:00:57 am »

Welp, our rogue is dead. Long live the rogue!

After two deaths in a row, he's decided to retire the character and roll a new one. All will be happy to know I looted his corpse upon learning this.

Annoyingly the player of the rogue in question has failed to respond to any emails requesting his character's current item list. Bah.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: March 24, 2016, 08:08:15 am »

Welp, our rogue is dead. Long live the rogue!

After two deaths in a row, he's decided to retire the character and roll a new one. All will be happy to know I looted his corpse upon learning this.

Annoyingly the player of the rogue in question has failed to respond to any emails requesting his character's current item list. Bah.
He probbably needs to rewrite it so it reads ""+2 gloves, +4 dagger, 300 gp ruby", rather than "Alan's dagger, Daves glove, jJacks 300gp ruby."
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: March 24, 2016, 08:45:44 am »

On the plus side, I keep detailed notes about every item every character has taken from the party loot, so it's not a complete loss. I just wanted to confirm if anything has been sold or purchased before I go ahead and assume I have it.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: March 26, 2016, 01:09:50 am »

So I've started playing a game of D&D with an animator on youtube I watch. He originally asked me to DM, but took it up for himself because he's never done it before and wanted to try. I decided to roll with Carver Spellmeyer, the arrogant wizard, and we have, in our party, Dragg the horny bard, Wilneas the snobby noble cleric, and <insert name> the dragonborn barbarian ((he has yet to show up for a session)). we've been doing this on roll20 since we're all over the place, and its my first time actually using it properly, so its been quite the experience. We're playing 5e, so its nothing too broken. But apparently, my talk of how good I can be playing (such as tell him about my previous ordeals as Cliff Whitefang the dwarf thrower and so on) he decided to add on a bit of difficulty.

So we started the game with a very awkward conversation between me, Dragg and Wilneas while the barbarian sleeps, which involved them talking about how my familiar just defeated a fish that the DM said was an epic battle, but because me and the bard weren't looking, and the cleric was below deck (he came up because he heard the fish battle) we talked up a bit, and then the cleric starts calling us commoners already.

I tell the bard where I'm going and then proceed to, as my character would do, go down the road to the next town. The cleric follows me because he doesn't want to travel alone and the bard is following me because he thinks I'm his friend. I proceeded to question why they were following me the whole time, and while that happened, we ran into a group of mercenaries, called Los Gayapos Payosos, who were convinced that the bard was named Wally and that he was wanted. Despite telling them that Dragg was not the man he was looking for, I cast Charm Person on the leader and actually managed to convince him then that he wasn't Wally, pretty much skipping the first encounter due to how adamant he was (going as far as to rebuke our remark of saying he wasn't wally by saying "That's what Wally WOULD have said!" and then threatening me and the cleric. Due to the DM's disappointment, he hinted we will be seeing them again)

We make it to town, and my character has to get a key from the bartender. While I'm waiting for him to not be busy, the cleric goes to try and talk to a crazy old man and the bard tries to talk to the seductive woman in the corner. She proceeds to insult his manhood, which causes him to talk to the only other woman in the place, and I'm watching this all take place laughing.

I explain to the bartender that I need the key that he has in order to continue my quest to find my teacher, and that I've been followed by the "two jesters: the snob and the fool" and immediately, the cleric hears me and comes over angrily, attempts to intimidate me by saying "Excuse me, but was there something you wanted to tell me, you uncultured swine?" and gets a 17 on the roll and I roll a 21 as my own save, which caused me to turn around to him, look him dead in the eye and say "I apologize. I've been followed by two JESTERS today, so you can tell my mood is not at its best", which causes him to go COMPLETELY flustered and flash his signet ring and say he's nobility. I then tell him I was a wizard trained by perhaps one of the best wizards in all the land and that his sign of nobility holds no meaning to me. He gets more and more flustered at that and he tells me to hold my tongue and, because he is a half elf, I am trying SO HARD to not drop the racist remarks since not many people like half-elves by calling him a half-breed, so instead, I say to him "What would a High and Mighty snob such as yourself do to me, break a fingernail?" and he just loses it, causing him to draw his weapon and the barkeep breaking up the fight by giving us a discount of drinks. We both order some wine and I roast him again for drinking it right from the bottle when I drink from a glass by saying "sophisticated as always". I also at this point ask for that key and he goes off to get it.

So Wilneas gets drunk and passes out downing the whole bottle and the bard proceeds to talk to the lady, who tells him about a local goblin problem and that her friend has went missing and if he's dead, she wants something to remember him by. So the bard agrees without hesitation and asks me to come along, with the promise of getting paid. I tell him that now I have my key, I have no real reason to stay here, but if I'm getting paid, I have no reason to disagree. The barkeep overhears this and comes up and tells us that it was funny I should mention the goblins because they stole my key that morning. Carver just looks at the bartender with a sharp look of disapproval and facepalms as he realizes that NOW it has become his problem.

Bard wakes up the cleric, I find out he's a lightweight and I steal his coinpurse and give it to the bartender for safekeeping when he agrees to join us and passes out again after I give him more booze... And buy ourselves three rooms at his expense.

Next morning and one hangover later (and giving the cleric his money back), we set off to the goblins, and we start our first real encounter off smoothly: the cleric tries to stealth into the room and rolls a 2, causing all four goblins to turn and attack him. Before he even gets a turn, the cleric is dropped to 0 by the four goblins. The bard kills one and I have to keep the cleric alive, so I can't attack the cluster of goblins with burning hands effectively, so I cast sleep and knock out two of the three goblins (one of which was trying to sound an alarm). The last goblin attacks me and ruins my nice robes (as the DM put it) and then I kill him using magic missile and almost kill another goblin. By now, the cleric has failed two death saves and has one more save. We literally cheered when it came up 16, because that means he didn't die yet and we ended the encounter. I proceed to try and medicine check him, but everything is stacked against us I see as me and the bard failed our stabilize checks. The DM was nice enough to say that we get him back up afterwards, because we did a "what if" roll and found out that the cleric would have died if he was given another roll.

We proceed down to another corridor and hear a goblin in a room where he's grumbling angrily to himself and the cleric, again, tries to sneak in and falls flat on his face as he fumbles. The goblin in the room just turns and looks at him and ignores him, cleaning more skulls. I start talking to him and he's convinced, in his feeling of worthlessness as a goblin, I convince him to get a better job, and the cleric takes it upon himself to hire the goblin to carry his stuff, to which the goblin agrees.

We go into the next room, which is the final room, and everyone fails miserably except me again, with me taking out two goblins on my own and the bard killing another after fumbling a stealth roll and announcing he was coming in by slamming the door open. I get dropped to 1hp again, ruining my clothing more (I told my DM that the next cantrip I'm getting is mending) and the cleric heals me. The goblin buddy we made, kills one of the goblins himself before I cast burning hands, and then he proceeds to kill the goblin leader and stab him over and over for bullying him and treating him like garbage.

So in the end, I find my key, we bury the girl's friend, find his ring and some gems, about 100 silver and a magical fragile scimitar.

We head back to the tavern and Dragg immediately goes over to the woman who insulted him earlier and says "WHO'S THE MAN NOW!? I DEALT WITH THE GOBLINS!" and I use minor illusion to spell out the words NOT THIS GUY over his head, which caused the woman to give me a smile and a giggle, and then gives the bard another shot, even though he completely ignores her after that.

So, overall, probably the worst "first encounter" I've ever had to fix, got a goblin buddy who's apparently going to become a first level goblin fighter (since he did most of the work in the second encounter with me) as what the DM is thinking, and a very enjoyable game overall. Its great to finally be in a game without having a min maxer or someone mad at me for my backstory
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: March 26, 2016, 12:28:04 pm »

Bravo, very nice.  Thanks for sharing highmax.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1933 on: March 26, 2016, 01:45:45 pm »

That was a fun read.

Some of my friends wanted to play a 5e campaign, so I'm playing a warlock - it's one of two classes that doesn't feel like I've played a lot, feel very samey, or have stuff that I really hate 5e's take on (if you're a fighter, you're a walking weapon shop. Also, if you're an archer you wear leather). The other one is cleric, but the party is short on blasting power.

We initially were going to use 4d6 drop lowest for ability scores, but the rest of the group was dissuaded from this when I produced 16/15/14/14/13/4 and was going to build into MAXIMUM GLASS CANNON. We did a regular point buy after that. :P

So far, it's really showing that the DM is new and the party is pretty new. :-\ Between that and the fact that I am not convinced of 5e, I'm kind of torn. On the one hand, I don't want to ditch them, but on the other, I don't know if I want to invest too much time in a not-that-fun campaign.

I'm sure it's not helping that I'm playing a Pathfinder campaign with a great DM on the side...

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: March 26, 2016, 02:01:02 pm »

That was a fun read.

Some of my friends wanted to play a 5e campaign, so I'm playing a warlock - it's one of two classes that doesn't feel like I've played a lot, feel very samey, or have stuff that I really hate 5e's take on (if you're a fighter, you're a walking weapon shop. Also, if you're an archer you wear leather). The other one is cleric, but the party is short on blasting power.

We initially were going to use 4d6 drop lowest for ability scores, but the rest of the group was dissuaded from this when I produced 16/15/14/14/13/4 and was going to build into MAXIMUM GLASS CANNON. We did a regular point buy after that. :P

So far, it's really showing that the DM is new and the party is pretty new. :-\ Between that and the fact that I am not convinced of 5e, I'm kind of torn. On the one hand, I don't want to ditch them, but on the other, I don't know if I want to invest too much time in a not-that-fun campaign.

I'm sure it's not helping that I'm playing a Pathfinder campaign with a great DM on the side...
Its a huge leap in pathfinder into 5e. You have to have a DM that knows the edition well enough to actually do it. Its like a better version of 4e, but its still watered down. I'm playing a wizard as stated earlier, and I lack the control spells that the 4e wizard had and the God spells that pathfinder has.

I can enjoy 5e because I like the simple style, but if you have the right DM who's willing to go the extra mile, its awesome.

Also, cna someone explain to me when you would ever use an investigation check over a perception check?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 623